• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2018 World Cup Final: France v Croatia

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sm00teh, you’ve teminded me about Croatia’s antics in the 06 group game and now I’m wanting France to win.

Uppercut

I’d be surprised if France win by much, they haven’t really attacked enough to win games comfortably. Most likely to be 1-0 imo.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Backing France because of Pogba and Kante. **** Croatia. I expect the ref will let a lot of contact happen and it's a final so it could be dour and tight.

Burgey

Got to catch Mbappe first. Fmd that bloke is lightning.

Have now firmly settled on France. Sealed by the Sm00teh influence together with the fact that if they win it then we can say they were most troubled through the tourney by Australia, who they were lucky to get past, and as a result we are actually a top ten side.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Expect France to win, but wouldn't be at all surprised if Croatia get up. It takes iron will to come from behind 3 games in a row, even if the final represents a significant step up in quality.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Have now firmly settled on France. Sealed by the Sm00teh influence together with the fact that if they win it then we can say they were most troubled through the tourney by Australia, who they were lucky to get past, and as a result we are actually a top ten side.
Would be fully on board with this if not for Mbappe. **** Mbappe.

Expect France to win, but wouldn't be at all surprised if Croatia get up. It takes iron will to come from behind 3 games in a row, even if the final represents a significant step up in quality.
Alternatively, coming from behind three games in a row and ending up in extra time over and over again could mean they're wrecked. Depends on whether all of the blokes limping off were cramping or some were more serious, I suppose.

Uppercut

Would be fully on board with this if not for Mbappe. **** Mbappe.

Alternatively, coming from behind three games in a row and ending up in extra time over and over again could mean they're wrecked. Depends on whether all of the blokes limping off were cramping or some were more serious, I suppose.
What’s wrong with Mbappe?!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I was pondering what needs to happen today for this to be regarded as a great WC rather than just a very good one. Being honest, there's more than a hint of parochial self-interest here; had England made it to the final, I'd have a far more positive view on the tourney as a whole, but I'm still a bit miffed about how things panned out.

Anyway, my conclusion was that Mbappe turning it on like the teenage Pele in 1958 would do the trick.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I remember enjoying the group stages in 2014, but I'm struggling to recall any individual games. That's more about the state of my memory nowadays than the actual merit of said games.

I think the knockout matches have been better this time, but, again, I may have forgotten some from 2014.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Despite its obvious pitfalls I think 2002 is my favourite world Cup of my lifetime. I put that down to me being a japanophile and 2002 being pretty much the peak of my football fandom. Some rose tinted lenses at play as well no doubt.

As an adult 2014 a clear winner for me. There was just a certain atmosphere about that tournament that I think this one lacked. Brazil being an exotic destination steeped in football history probably being the reason for this.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Despite its obvious pitfalls I think 2002 is my favourite world Cup of my lifetime. I put that down to me being a japanophile and 2002 being pretty much the peak of my football fandom. Some rose tinted lenses at play as well no doubt.

As an adult 2014 a clear winner for me. There was just a certain atmosphere about that tournament that I think this one lacked. Brazil being an exotic destination steeped in football history probably being the reason for this.

2002 has the advantage of an ATG player making an indelible mark on the tournament, up to and including the final. Always helps.

Some of the photo opportunities in 2014 were breath-taking. I remember footage of the massive statue of Christ, arms stretched outwards, apparently holding the setting sun. The accompanying commentary was brilliant - 'Anyone would think they planned it that way', or words to that effect.

I'll still take a bit of persuading that 1982 wasn't the best tournament since I've been watching the game. It's certainly the one I remember best.

OverratedSanity

I'll still take a bit of persuading that 1982 wasn't the best tournament since I've been watching the game. It's certainly the one I remember best.
1982 is probably the one tournament I wish I'd been alive to see. Love watching that Brazil team's goal compilation from that tournament from time to time... almost every single one of them outrageously good.