• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2015 Ashes - English and Australian XIs

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Hey all, I wanted to know who you predict will be lining for England and Australia in 2 years time. You can also predict runs/wickets and number of centuries. 46 points available per team by the time the Ashes arrives ay these shores again.

Batting Order - Player (Runs/Wickets, Centuries)

England

I - Alastair Cook (c) (10,000, 30)
II - Joe Root (2000, 8)
III - Jonathan Trott (5000, 15)
IV - Gary Ballance (900, 4)
V - Ian Bell (8000, 25)
VI - James Taylor (600, 2)
VII - Jonny Bairstow (w) (1500, 5)
VIII - Stuart Broad (280)
IX - Boyd Rankin (40)
X - Simon Kerrigan (30)
XI - Steven Finn (120)

Australia

I - David Warner (3000, 8)
II - Shaun Marsh (1500, 4)
III - Callum Ferguson (800, 5)
IV - Michael Clarke (c) (10,000, 30)
V - Steven Smith (1500, 4)
VI - Philip Hughes (2000, 5)
VII - Matthew Wade (w) (2000, 4)
VIII - Mitchell Starc (80)
IX - James Pattinson (90)
X - Nathan Lyon (130)
XI - Jackson Bird (50)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Baring in mind what the sides looked like two years ago (full strength England v India, and full strength Australia in Sri Lanka) I wouldn't expect that many changes.

England's XI for the TB test against India was; Cook, Strauss, Trott, KP, Bell, Morgan, Prior, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson, which is only two players different from the one that won at Durham. I'd back there to be similarly few changes by the time the 2011 season rolls around.

1. Cook
2. Root
3. Bell
4. Pietersen
5. Ballance
6. Taylor
7. Prior
8. Bresnan
9. Broad
10. Kerrigan
11. Anderson

Really you never know who could come in though. England have a few seam bowling options who could be playing tests in a couple of years, so you can never confidently say. Will back Kerrigan for now, despite his Oval showing.

Australia's XI for the final test against Sri Lanka in 2011 was; Watson, Hughes, Marsh, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Haddin, Johnson, Copeland, Siddle, Lyon (with Harris injured) which is slightly more different, due to a couple of retirements and losses of form.

Suspect they'll line up something like this by 2015

1. Warner
2. Hughes
3. Doolan
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. Watson
7. Wade
8. Starc
9. Patto
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

People on CW will still be arguing for Bird over Starc though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
2017 Ashes
1 David Warner
2 Jordan Silk
3 Nicolas Maddinson
4 Alex Doolan
5 Steve Smith (vice captain)
6 Joseph Burns
7 Riterrke Aluyenetyeke
8 James Forkers Faulkner (debut) / Mitchell Starc
9 Peter Siddle (captain) (686 wickets, 4 centuries)
10 Josh Hazlewood
11 Nathan Lyon

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey all, I wanted to know who you predict will be lining for England and Australia in 2 years time. You can also predict runs/wickets and number of centuries. 46 points available per team by the time the Ashes arrives ay these shores again.

England

II - Joe Root (2000, 8)
V - Ian Bell (8000, 25)
IX - Boyd Rankin (40)
X - Simon Kerrigan (30)
XI - Steven Finn (120)

Australia

X - Nathan Lyon (130)
XI - Jackson Bird (50)

So, basically, England will have quite a few new faces and Australia will revert to picking blokes like Shaun Marsh and Callum Ferguson?

I certainly hope you're not right.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man

England

II - Joe Root (2000, 8)
V - Ian Bell (8000, 25)
IX - Boyd Rankin (40)
X - Simon Kerrigan (30)
XI - Steven Finn (120)

Australia

X - Nathan Lyon (130)
XI - Jackson Bird (50)

Swann will still be around in 2 years, I get the impression that he would like to go on as long as he possibly can, KP though i don't know, he says he wants 10k test runs but im not sure.

Wheres Jimmy?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think being a bit more serious England will have a similar team to the one they have now. I've decided to get rid of Trott and Prior..

England
1 A Cook
2 J Root
3 I Bell
4 K Pietersen
5 G Ballance
6 B Stokes
7 J Bairstow
8 C Woakes
9 S Broad
10 G Swann
11 J Anderson

Australia
1 C Rogers
2 D Warner
3 S Watson
4 M Clarke
5 S Smith
6 N Maddinson
7 T Paine
8 M Starc
9 P Siddle
10 J Pattinson
11 N Lyon

12 J Hazlewood
13 P Hughes
14 N Maddinson
15 C Sayers
16 P Nevill

I think Rogers has the potential to last that long - it could very well be his last series. I ended up not including Harris or Haddin which would be a blow to the team. Happy with the bowling replacements but not so much the keeper - Ludeman, Wade, Nevill, Triffitt etc have a big chance if they perform domestically.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarke will play his last series either then or he will be gone after WC 2015, Rogers will probably be gone too.
I think Joe Burns will be in the team by then, and I also think Nevill will be the keeper.

England might be starting to break up a little by then, but the talent coming through is stronger, I don't know the CC circuit very well so I can't really comment on replacements.

mde203

Cricket Spectator
For England I'd probably go with

Cook (*)
Root
Trott
Bell
Ballance
Taylor
Prior (+)
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Overton

England are bringing Overton into the fold very early, and he is looking like a player they will take into a lot of squads to mould in a similar way that they did with Steven Finn. The bowlers are difficult to pick, any of Bresnan, Finn, Rankin, Woakes and Overton could be the third quick, and Stokes could have been given a place in the side by then as well. The batsmen are much simpler to pick, for me the real questions among them is whether or not England are still sticking with Bairstow and whether or not James Taylor can step up to Test cricket when he gets his chance. I think Ballance will play a lot of Tests by the time his career comes to an end.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Really not sure whether Clarke will still be there.

- Warner
- Maddinson (Rogers can stay as long as he holds his own, I like the guy)
- Doolan
- Clarke (if not, I think they'll install Bailey as a temporary old head)
- Smith (could be captain if Clarke retires/back dies)
- Burns/Henriques
- Paine (if Haddin is finished)

Quick bowlers from- Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Bird, Faulkner, Hazlewood, Cummins

Spinner- Lyon, or someone else who actually bowls well enough in the Shield to demand his spot.

I think Watson will be done in 2 years. I think Harris will be also. I doubt Rogers will be there. Haddin is a 50/50.

I rate Henriques, and like what he can add to the team, as long as he can bat top 6.

I'd like to see Maddinson, Burns and Dooley stake a claim over the next 2 years. Surely there's never been a better time to be a young Australian batsman with some talent and potential. Couple of decent FC 100s should see you set up a long test career.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England's main change for the 2015 Ashes will be Taylor in for Bairstow, and that's about it.

2017/18 will be more interesting, can't see KP and Swann still playing and Trott, Prior, Bell and Anderson will all be mid-30's.

As for Australia: I doubt Haddin and Harris will still be there. Rogers is 50/50-ish but needs to keep making runs. Watson and Clarke will probably remain but aren't certain to.

If pushed, I'll name this squad:

1. Hughes
2. Warner
3. Watson
4. Maddinson
5. Clarke
6. Smith
7. Wade (keeping will improve IMO ala Prior)
8. Pattinson
9. Starc
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

12. Doolan
13. Paine
14. Agar
15. Cummins
16. Hazlewood

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Swann will still be around in 2 years, I get the impression that he would like to go on as long as he possibly can, KP though i don't know, he says he wants 10k test runs but im not sure.
I'm not all that aware of the "best before" date of spinners but Warne retired at 37 and Swann is 34. He has had a few injuries over the years so that may prevent him from being competitive in the 2015 Ashes.

KP has said himself that his body is breaking down. He needs to retire from ODI after the 2013 Ashes ODI series if he wants to reach 10,000 Test runs.

Wheres Jimmy?
I know he'll be the same age as Ryan Harris was in this series but I'm concerned he may not make it that long due to a loss of form or injury. I really hope he continues and takes his 400th wicket in this series but I'm not convinced he'll make it. Can Jimmy play until he's 36 like McGrath?