• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**2007 World Cup**

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blaze said:
Any game playing for your country is important. Maybe thats why NZ won all those game in the Natwest series because they put 100% in all the time regardless of the opposition or the tournament they are in.
That's what I was saying in effect - Australia & England have been faffing around with their teams in ODIs, Australia so that they get their usual 16-17 players who have all played plenty in the next 2 years so they can easily cope with an injury or two come the World Cup. England who use ODIs as preparation for future Test matches.

Blaze said:
Mate you are one of the most biased guy on this forum. England are an average one day side at the moment. Nothing more nothing less. They have the potential to be a good one day side but at the moment they are not in the top three.

Remind me again of Englands results in the previous two world cups? Yeah there mental game must be pretty solid with those results in the One Day game.

They are an awesome Test side but their One Day cricket leaves a lot to be desired and there is a thing called national pride but sometimes it pays to take a step back and take an objective view

If England were average they wouldn't have been good enough to cruise past a team like Australia when it mattered. NZ usually try their hardest in the average (relatively) meaningless ODIs - which is good, but when it comes to the World Cup they'll be overtaken by England, WI, Aus when they step up the gears and NZ can't. Also what has the result of two previous World Cups got to do with anything?

Natman20

International Debutant
World Cup

The world cup should be a good competition. I dont think England will actually get anywhere in it. It should be dominated by Australia and New Zealand carry on thier good form. :wacko:

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
If England were average they wouldn't have been good enough to cruise past a team like Australia when it mattered. NZ usually try their hardest in the average (relatively) meaningless ODIs - which is good, but when it comes to the World Cup they'll be overtaken by England, WI, Aus when they step up the gears and NZ can't. Also what has the result of two previous World Cups got to do with anything?
your reasoning behind NZ not performing in the big match situations is quite frankly the stupidest ive ever heard. this NZ side has been known to perform above their potential in both of the last 2 world cups while england have never ever won a major ODI tournament are supposed to be able to 'step up the gears'. of course based on their ODI performances in the last 4 months(largely because of flintoff anyways) you;ve come to the conclusion that england will step up the gears in the world cup havent you?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
That's what I was saying in effect - Australia & England have been faffing around with their teams in ODIs, Australia so that they get their usual 16-17 players who have all played plenty in the next 2 years so they can easily cope with an injury or two come the World Cup. England who use ODIs as preparation for future Test matches.

Thats arrogant's at its very best..

England are, and have always been an "average ODI side", nothing more nothing less...Not even in the same ballpark as the NZ in one day cricket side these days.

I think NZ have won the last 5 ODI games between the two sides, so how you can make a comment like that is unbelieveable.

Face facts, for a country with 60 million people, England are hopeless at sport (they even invented most games). Don't try to suggest otherwise.

NZ with a population of 4 million and Aust with 20 million shouldn't even be able to compete with England, The fact NZ are a far superior one day side than England should be an embarassment for English fans. The fact that England haven't even been close to competing with Aussie in any form of cricket for the last 15 years is even more embarassing.

Sorry to be so honestly brutal, but your arrogance deserves this reality check.

Perhaps you could offer some suggestions as to why England are so poor at sport in general.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
zinzan12 said:
Thats arrogant's at its very best..

England are, and have always been an "average ODI side", nothing more nothing less...Not even in the same ballpark as the NZ in one day cricket side these days.

I think NZ have won the last 5 ODI games between the two sides, so how you can make a comment like that is unbelieveable.

Face facts, for a country with 60 million people, England are hopeless at sport (they even invented most games). Don't try to suggest otherwise.

NZ with a population of 4 million and Aust with 20 million shouldn't even be able to compete with England, The fact NZ are a far superior one day side than England should be an embarassment for English fans. The fact that England haven't even been close to competing with Aussie in any form of cricket for the last 15 years is even more embarassing.

Sorry to be so honestly brutal, but your arrogance deserves this reality check.

Perhaps you could offer some suggestions as to why England are so poor at sport in general.
49.85 million last census; the population of The UK is nearly 60 million, but I wouldn't call a Taff, an Ulsterman or a Sweatie "English" to his face! :D

Climate & culture; plus the hegemony of Association Football. As a more established nation than you blokes down in the antipodes we don't tend to express our nationhood quite so solely thru sporting endeavour.

Anyway, where does this leave India with its 1 billion+ population?

Scaly piscine

BoyBrumby said:
49.85 million last census; the population of The UK is nearly 60 million, but I wouldn't call a Taff, an Ulsterman or a Sweatie "English" to his face! :D

Climate & culture; plus the hegemony of Association Football. As a more established nation than you blokes down in the antipodes we don't tend to express our nationhood quite so solely thru sporting endeavour.

Indeed.

Zinzan go borrow some brain cells before your next rant that way you might actually be able to absorb what people say instead of just ignoring it and coming up with the same garbage as before interspersed with new, even more extreme tripe.

Zinzan

BoyBrumby said:

So 50 million then....still nearly 3 times that of Aust and 12 times NZ's.

India and Pakistan are different, they are generally 3rd world countries and half of the population struggle to eat...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
zinzan12 said:
So 50 million then....still nearly 3 times that of Aust and 12 times NZ's.

India and Pakistan are different, they are generally 3rd world countries and half of the population struggle to eat...
True, but in India about 300 million people live in conditions broadly akin to the first world & they still struggle to produce a half-decent seamer!

I actually don't think England is that bad a sporting nation; we hold our own in a lotta sports. If you compare us to Oz we'll come off second best tho. As would NZ too, if you're honest.

Zinzan

Scaly piscine said:
Indeed.

Zinzan go borrow some brain cells before your next rant that way you might actually be able to absorb what people say instead of just ignoring it and coming up with the same garbage as before interspersed with new, even more extreme tripe.
I've obviously hit a nerve. Sorry for bringing true facts into the argument.

Perhaps you should try to come up with a legitimate argument as to why England are so poor at sport as opposed to resorting to personal abuse.

Me talking garbage? You always talk garbage...ie England using ODI's to practice for test matches. What a lame excuse for poor performance!!!

It has been pointed out many times b4 that you are the most Biased and unrealistic cricket fan on this forum.

If you were an Australian, talking up your team the way you do, I'd probably have to grin and bear it as it would be difficult to argue against, but your English, and I don't rate your ODI side.

I can't see why it is tripe pointing out what the rest of the sporting world already know - That is the fact England generally are not a great sporting nation.

No need to jump out of your pram and resort to personal abuse when someone has a different view than you.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
vic_orthdox said:
are the west indies pitches back to being really bouncy and fast bowler friendly? i just remember that when australia was last there, the pitches were slow low and flat, with nothing in it for bowlers. has it changed back to the traditional caribbean decks since then?
I'd say they're a little better but not by much.

Zinzan

BoyBrumby said:
True, but in India about 300 million people live in conditions broadly akin to the first world & they still struggle to produce a half-decent seamer!

I actually don't think England is that bad a sporting nation; we hold our own in a lotta sports. If you compare us to Oz we'll come off second best tho. As would NZ too, if you're honest.
NZ goes pretty well for 4 million people.....

Anyway....

I didn't really want to resort to "knocking" English sport in general.I just felt Scaly's arrogance deserved this to be pointed out.

Blaze

Banned
zinzan12 said:

Anyway....

I didn't really want to resort to "knocking" English sport in general.I just felt Scaly's arrogance deserved this to be pointed out.

I don't really think we should go into English sport but i agree with you that Scaly really is quite arrogant and extremelly biased. How old are you? and why can't you take an objective point of view for a change?

As I have said before England have the potential with their resources (players) to become a very very good ODI side however there is little evidence to suggest they are a top ODI side at the moment. They fail to convince me that they have got their tactics and working as a one day unit sorted out yet.. unlike their test side where they have proven and convinced me that they are very very good.

Zinzan

Blaze said:
I don't really think we should go into English sport but i agree with you that Scaly really is quite arrogant and extremelly biased. How old are you? and why can't you take an objective point of view for a change?

As I have said before England have the potential with their resources (players) to become a very very good ODI side however there is little evidence to suggest they are a top ODI side at the moment. They fail to convince me that they have got their tactics and working as a one day unit sorted out yet.. unlike their test side where they have proven and convinced me that they are very very good.[/QUOTE

I believe I do generally take an objective view on things. In fact on most occasions, too objective. You'd see that by reading my previous posts (not only on this thread) I also agree the above is extremely subjective and I did mention I didn't really want slang English sport. I'm not sure my age should be a concern to you though.

Scaly piscine

zinzan12 said:

Anyway....

I feel your stupidity needed pointing out, you really haven't a clue what you're talking about - England did quite well in the last Olympics and to say they're rubbish at sport for their population (which you managed to get completely wrong anyway) when there are countries like China, India, Pakistan is pointless. And to describe yourself as 'too objective' on occasions is hysterical - what a complete halfwit you are and welcome to the ignore list.

Zinzan

Scaly piscine said:
I feel your stupidity needed pointing out, you really haven't a clue what you're talking about - England did quite well in the last Olympics and to say they're rubbish at sport for their population (which you managed to get completely wrong anyway) when there are countries like China, India, Pakistan is pointless. And to describe yourself as 'too objective' on occasions is hysterical - what a complete halfwit you are and welcome to the ignore list.
Fair enough, perhaps I take for granted the fact the NZ and Aust are so amazing at sport for the size of the countries.

I think per population Australia won the most medals at the last olympics and NZ the most golds per population.

I suppose your right,compared with China, India , Bangledesh, chile etc etc England do hold their own.

How silly of me to compare England with two sporting countries (Australia and NZ) who both punch well above their weight.

I suppose as a Kiwi, I just shudder to think what Aust or NZ would be like as a sporting nation if they had 50 million people. :D

Zinzan

Scaly piscine said:
Also, Don't be such a sensitive little baby and resort to personal abuse. You write far more than your fair shair of subjective and biased threads.

Sorry If i upset you

no1

Cricket Spectator
i know

new zealand are going to win the world cup we got astle flem oram carins vettori mcullm bond tuffy and fraklin :p

no1

Cricket Spectator
ha im a kiwi to i tottaly agree with you im only 14 but i have been playing since i was 6

poobum

Cricket Spectator
EDIT: If you're going to post rubbish, don't bother posting at all.

Last edited by a moderator: