• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st test - pitch rating

halba

International 12th Man
How would u rate the pitch. Imho it was very ordinary, as it was too flat. It was a 5.5 day pitch. Probably give it 2 stars out of 5.

Ideally you want a 4-4.5 day pitch., so there is just enough in it for the bowlers.

Molehill

International Captain
It produced a result despite losing nearly a day for rain. It would've been over far quicker if all chances had been taken. How is that too flat?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It produced a result despite losing nearly a day for rain. It would've been over far quicker if all chances had been taken. How is that too flat?
This was because of the so-called Bazball approach by England. A result was achieved because too many England batters threw away their wickets by being too aggressive. Australia, led by one man batting in a more traditional approach and solid bowling by two men, took full advantage of England's approach.
Had the pitch been more bowler friendly the game wouldn't have gone into day 5.
As much as I enjoyed the Test, the pitch was sub-par.

Molehill

International Captain
This was because of the so-called Bazball approach by England. A result was achieved because too many England batters threw away their wickets by being too aggressive. Australia, led by one man batting in a more traditional approach and solid bowling by two men, took full advantage of England's approach.
Had the pitch been more bowler friendly the game wouldn't have gone into day 5.
As much as I enjoyed the Test, the pitch was sub-par.
Then how does that explain the fact that if Bairstow could catch, Australia would've been bowled out for 300 (probably less) in the first innings? Khawaja dropped anchor but he was still bowled off a no ball and effectively dropped first over in the 2nd innings. It wasn't like chances weren't created even against the most stoic of defences.

It was a myth that the pitch was flat.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Then how does that explain the fact that if Bairstow could catch, Australia would've been bowled out for 300 (probably less) in the first innings? Khawaja dropped anchor but he was still bowled off a no ball and effectively dropped first over in the 2nd innings. It wasn't like chances weren't created even against the most stoic of defences.

It was a myth that the pitch was flat.
And if Australia could catch, England would have been out for a lot less too.

Molehill

International Captain
And if Australia could catch, England would have been out for a lot less too.
Precisely, the pitch was not flat. There were plenty of chances created. Yes, England will offer more due to their batting style, but it wasn't like Australia cruised to 500.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I thought it was a decent pitch.

It probably didn't offer quite enough for the seamers and didn't deteriorate as much as you'd want on days 4 or 5.

Obviously you could make runs on it and the spinners were in the game throughout.

It was a bit slow and low but a perfectly acceptable test match pitch.

halba

International 12th Man

england batters threw away their wickets and did not bat at a test match pace. esp 2nd inn

halba

International 12th Man
Precisely, the pitch was not flat. There were plenty of chances created. Yes, England will offer more due to their batting style, but it wasn't like Australia cruised to 500.
Pitch was very flat. Robinson and Anderson barely got any movement. Anderson wrote a column saying the pitch was his 'kryptonite'
Probably a bit too flat.
However anything in the other direction, then the test doesnt even go 4 days as modern day batters cannot play against swing bowling.

Spark

Global Moderator
A reminder that there has not been a single Test match in England in the last 23 years with less movement on Day 1 than this one.

shortpitched713

International Captain
We got an excellent Test match, an absolute humdinger.

I can't belive that the pitch is anywhere on people's minds at this point, given the actual match that was played. :wacko:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol I actually thought he had improved from being a grumpy old hypocritcal **** whinging about everything once Bazball started.

Has there ever been a bowler publically just say that I cant bowl on certain types of pitches?

I mean he is a class bowler for sure and one of the greats and perhaps even an ATG depending on how much you factor longevity, but this was just ****.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
lol I actually thought he had improved from being a grumpy old hypocritcal **** whinging about everything once Bazball started.

Has there ever been a bowler publically just say that I cant bowl on certain types of pitches?

I mean he is a class bowler for sure and one of the greats and perhaps even an ATG depending on how much you factor longevity, but this was just ****.
On a pitch like this where we got a good match and result? Doubtful

On a semi-related note, curious, what’s the fewest wickets over a test with no rain interruptions?