• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Aus vs India, Adelaide oval 17th-21st December

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good morning gentlemen. Today we move into day 5 of this riveting test match. The match is poised evenly with India needing eight wickets and Australia 200 runs to win. The pitch is starting to break up but there hasn't been much up and down so far. It's a perfect day for cricket, dry and with a maximum of 28.

J/k 36

the big bambino

International Captain
Not convinced Adelaide has the preparation for the pink ball games sorted. Yes the Aussie bowling was great and India basically nicked all of them, but everything came off that wicket with such a zing and moved just enough. If you think just a little movement is more dangerous than exaggerated movement, especially so when that movement is late and quick, then India were caught in the xhairs. I don't think any team would really expect that on a third day. They didn't seem to panic so much as resign to their fate it looked to me. I don't think you can Pujara your way out of those conditions. Maybe you could Pant your way out but he wasn't selected. So who knows but still unlikely. The collapse was always a possibility though the extent of it a surprise. So Adelaide - cut the grass and watch a million runs or leave it on and finish inside 3 days.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not convinced Adelaide has the preparation for the pink ball games sorted. Yes the Aussie bowling was great and India basically nicked all of them, but everything came off that wicket with such a zing and moved just enough. If you think just a little movement is more dangerous than exaggerated movement, especially so when that movement is late and quick, then India were caught in the xhairs. I don't think any team would really expect that on a third day. They didn't seem to panic so much as resign to their fate it looked to me. I don't think you can Pujara your way out of those conditions. Maybe you could Pant your way out but he wasn't selected. So who knows but still unlikely. The collapse was always a possibility though the extent of it a surprise. So Adelaide - cut the grass and watch a million runs or leave it on and finish inside 3 days.
Nah don't agree with any of this. Just bat better. And the bowling will rarely be that good. I'm very happy with the wicket.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think it would be good to have a slightly faster deck (and outfield for that matter), that would have made the first day in particular feel a bit less attritional.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think there was anything wrong with that pitch at all. And it seemed to help even Ashwin and Lyon to an extent with the bounce they were able to get. Quite a few times, these sub 100 collapses have nothing to do with any sort of unplayable pitch. It is just a run where every good ball is nicked off and every catch is taken etc. I agree with Virat to an extent that Australia did not bowl too much better than they did on Day 1. India had a bit more luck and a bit more focus on day 1 that helped them survive those spells and when they didn't on Day 3, they lollapsed.

I would rather see pitches like Adelaide than some of the roads we have seen over the years. Maybe a faster outfield would have helped for sure but otherwise,, nothing wrong with the wicket at all, for mine.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was nothing wrong with that pitch. Australia bowled with great intensity in both innings and honestly India batted very well in the first innings up to the point that Kohli was needlessly run out.

I've said it before that Australia's current pace attack is one of the best in world cricket since the 80s and it was just a matter of time before things started to fall their way. I think they've been unlucky at times not to take big hauls like this, especially during the 2018 India tour.

OverratedSanity

The **** are you talking about? They've literally never bowled worse as a unit than the 2018 tour... If anything they were lucky to get those memey wickets at Melbourne to make their figures look better. They've been miles better this series so far

the big bambino

International Captain
Nah don't agree with any of this. Just bat better. And the bowling will rarely be that good. I'm very happy with the wicket.
Yeah look I get it that jingoism wont allow any stain on the great Aussie bowling performance oi oi oi but Adelaide's pitches have been pretty extreme.

TheJediBrah

Yeah look I get it that jingoism wont allow any stain on the great Aussie bowling performance oi oi oi
Don't project, that has nothing to do with anything. I was actually thinking more of the first 2 innings, where plenty of the wickets were thrown away and better batting efforts could easily have yielded 300+ scores

Daemon

Don't project, that has nothing to do with anything. I was actually thinking more of the first 2 innings, where plenty of the wickets were thrown away and better batting efforts could easily have yielded 300+ scores
tbf both teams were lucky to get what they did in the first dig. India had tons of plays and misses and some catches falling short and going to no mans land while Australia should've been all out for 100 if the catches were taken.

Flem274*

123/5
i thought the pitch was ok. it had nothing on some of the pitches south africa and sri lanka roll out when they feel like a laugh.

but then it's hard to judge a deck when a team is out for 36 unless it's got more mines than iraq, and if you showed me a selection of pitches from this year and asked me which would cause a team to be 36 all out i would have pilled my life savings into west indies, hamilton backyard first innings.

TheJediBrah

tbf both teams were lucky to get what they did in the first dig. India had tons of plays and misses and some catches falling short and going to no mans land while Australia should've been all out for 100 if the catches were taken.
Yeah, still a fair bit of that comes down to some loose batting though, and both bowling sides were exceptional. Test cricket should be testing the batsmen, it shouldn't be like T20s and you can just hit everything through the line. I'd be very annoyed if the reaction to this game is a classic Roadelaide wicket next year.

Furthermore after India's 36 the Aus openers got to 0/70 without too much trouble so this blaming the pitch is laughable

aussie tragic

International Captain
All this talk about Adelaide pitch being poor is a horrible excuse for India's effort.

Either side of the India 36, Tim Paine scored 73* and horribly out of form Joe Burns scored 51*. If these two could do it, why couldn't India with the exact same pitch conditions.

Last edited:

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Would much rather a classic roadelaide than any of the MCG or SCG belters of recent years. The ground has only had three draws this century.

trundler

One of the underrated glories of this collapse was that Indian fans were digging up ridiculous stats to form some cosmic patterns that guarantee them a win the next day but then 36 happened. :lol: