• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Aus vs India, Adelaide oval 17th-21st December

Flem274*

123/5
Think he is. I don't think its particularly great but I'm struggling to think of a better line up at present
you've got two, three guys who make every side in the world and another three who well...don't. it's kind of a weird line up. burns is burns. wade barely averages 30 and paine is paine. india (before this test) and nz have less or no gaping holes in the top six than aus but also no smith who is a level above kohli and kane.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think he is. I don't think its particularly great but I'm struggling to think of a better line up at present
I think you have to asterisk it hard until it actually plays some series away from home (counting the 2019 Ashes as start of this "era"). Honestly, as amusing as it sounds, I'd still probably say India has the best batting lineup in the world. Or NZ although them completely ****ting the bed last summer does leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Flem274*

123/5
batting sides are very conditions dependent atm.

aus, nz and india are just stupid in their own conditions. nz tour best as a unit unless they're in their kryptonite aus/sa and get results on turners but their second best bat is probably past it, india can usually do ok in aus before 36lol but suck when it moves and their openers are trash, and australia hate spin arguably the most of anyone not called south africa or west indies but also have steve smith to counterbalance burns and wade.

it makes the eventual test champ final in england fascinating and im kinda sad the top 4 can't all go for a quick round robin and final.

Gob

International Coach
I think you have to asterisk it hard until it actually plays some series away from home (counting the 2019 Ashes as start of this "era"). Honestly, as amusing as it sounds, I'd still probably say India has the best batting lineup in the world. Or NZ although them completely ****ting the bed last summer does leave a bad taste in the mouth.
I think India can be a lot better if they draft in Rahul and Rohit. I asked this question a few days back with the risk of sounding ignorant that I have no clue of what's going on in Ranji trophy etc and blokes like Vihari and Agrawal must be very prolific but I'd rather see them playing them than say Rahul. As it stand, they are too reliant in that middle order so it's no different to Australia

And its difficult to take Nz very seriously

Slifer

International Captain
To be clear, I don't think Australia has a bad batting lineup. It's very good and borderline great in home conditions (like everyone else). It's probably between them, India and NZ for the top spot. Smith however, is their only really great batsman. Warner is to batting, what Anderson is to bowling afaic ie htb. Curiiously, he does have a very good record in RSA but that's it. Labuschagne well it's still a little early but the kid is going well atm. The rest are rubbish. Nz has a very solid lineup but come undone vs Australia in general and India away. India well, no comment. They're mostly lions at home and passable away. Pujara seems to have turned the corner, will be interesting to see how he goes for the remainder of this series. Kohli is class obviously.

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah I think Nortje and Ngidi are decent prospects. But they're not Philander, Steyn, and Morkel -- and even then, it took, uh, a lot of external factors going on for SA to win their first home series against Aus since readmission.
Actually, it took RSA playing better cricket and Australia resorting to cheating. RSA beat Australia fair and square last time around. Funny enough, back then, they faced essentially the same Aussie bowling attack...Never realized how long Cummins has been around....

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Actually, it took RSA playing better cricket and Australia resorting to cheating. RSA beat Australia fair and square last time around.
You're searching very hard for a gotcha where there isn't one to find. The "external factors" mentioned were was the general psychological collapse of the Aus team that started in the very bitter aftermath of the first Test, it was all downhill from Aus from there until the obvious.

Slifer

International Captain
Huh?? External factors? Psychological collapse?? ???. Australia won the first test. Care to elaborate? I'm being serious....

Spark

Global Moderator
Huh?? Psychological collapse?? ???. Care to elaborate. I'm being serious...
There are literal books on the topic if you care to find out, as well as many articles. I don't particularly feel like rehashing something that is well established public knowledge by now. The stairwell altercation between de Kock and Warner, the whole mess surrounding the Rabada charge that the Aus camp felt should have been upheld etc etc; all involved said that the downwards spiral in the mentality and overall psychological state of the team started after the first game (which they had won).

Slifer

International Captain
There are literal books on the topic if you care to find out, as well as many articles. I don't particularly feel like rehashing something that is well established public knowledge by now. The stairwell altercation between de Kock and Warner, the whole mess surrounding the Rabada charge that the Aus camp felt should have been upheld etc etc; all involved said that the downwards spiral in the mentality and overall psychological state of the team started after the first game (which they had won).
Australia lost fair and square. If they didn't have the mental fortitude to deal with a lil off field dust up then that's on them. Let's agree to disagree.

Moving bk on topic. Yeah if Australia doesn't sweep the rest of this series, I'd be very surprised. Will be interesting to see if Smith can regain some form....

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
batting sides are very conditions dependent atm.

aus, nz and india are just stupid in their own conditions. nz tour best as a unit unless they're in their kryptonite aus/sa and get results on turners but their second best bat is probably past it, india can usually do ok in aus before 36lol but suck when it moves and their openers are trash, and australia hate spin arguably the most of anyone not called south africa or west indies but also have steve smith to counterbalance burns and wade.

it makes the eventual test champ final in england fascinating and im kinda sad the top 4 can't all go for a quick round robin and final.
At least the top 3 could have IMO. That is just 4 test matches and you can have it done and dusted in a month.

the big bambino

International Captain
Good innings but pujara can go big U reckon. I dunno , I feel Aussie are scared of India lol. And they seem mentally weak .. just like at cwc semi when they completely threw in the towel.
Posted to console Indian fans. 36 AO not as embarrassing as the quoted post. And what? no more comments from you since this one? Shame ...

Flem274*

123/5
true. this test made me feel slightly better about last years psyche out surrender, but not much.

my only advice to india is find a psychotic south african and elevate a random wicketkeeper to opener.