• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Forum exposé - The infraction system is broken

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the moment there are thresholds for ban lengths.

I'm lead to believe they are:

15 7 Day
30 1 Month
45 3 Month
55 6 Month
60 1 Year
150 Perma.

Say for example, I accumulate 30 infraction points, and am banned for one month.

In the space of that one month, two lots of my infractions (2 x 5pointers) expire, so when I return I am down to 20 infraction points in total. Say I call someone a ****, and I get hit with a 5 point infraction, my total goes up to 25 and nothing happens.

Now, say for example in that one month that I'm banned, two lots of my infractions (2 x 5pointers) expire, so when I return I am down to 20 infraction points in total. Then I am on my best behaviour for another 6 months, being the model poster, and another two lots of infractions expire, meaning I'm down to ten points in total. then I call someone a **** and get hit with a 5 points infraction. I'm then given a ban because I've reached the 15 point threshold.

Surely I'm not the only one who can see that it's a broken system?

What should happen is that when you get 15 points, you get 7 days. then when you come back you get a clean slate. Then if you get another 15 points, you get 30 days. Then when you come back, clean slate. If you get another 15 points you get 3 months and so on and so forward.

I understand that the infractions can't be programmed like that, so instead, infractions shouldn't have an expiration date, that way you can't be punished for good behaviour.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Slow day in Denmark?

Seriously though you make a good point, but one could argue that being on 25 points is a worse situation because I puts you close to a 30 day ban instead of misely 7 day ban. Could definety do with some looking into though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This happened to someone on Cricsim once.

I forget the exact figures, but they hit a 3 day ban for reaching (say) 20 points. During their ban, one earlier infraction expired so they were back down to 20, then got an infraction on their return and were immediately banned again. They would have been better off if that original infraction hadn't expired.

It was something like that anyway.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thinking more about this, I don't think going back to a clean slate and then another 15 and you're up to the next threshold is the right way to go about it either, because although it doesn't punish good behaviour (unlike the system at the moment) it doesn't reward it either.

I think if you've had a certain period of time between infractions, you should automatically drop down a threshold.

The whole infraction system is pretty farcical though tbh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Thinking more about this, I don't think going back to a clean slate and then another 15 and you're up to the next threshold is the right way to go about it either, because although it doesn't punish good behaviour (unlike the system at the moment) it doesn't reward it either.

I think if you've had a certain period of time between infractions, you should automatically drop down a threshold.

The whole infraction system is pretty farcical though tbh.
That happens. Keep your nose clean for enough time and all your infractions drop off to the point where you have a clean slate, as I believe happened to your good friend GIMH recently.

What my friend Bob (can I call you Bob?) is unhappy about is the way that a repeat infraction for the same offence gets doubled in length. Most infractions are supposed to last for 6 weeks (there might be a select few that are more severe than that but I cbf checking). Yet you and I both received month long bans on the same day for crossing the 30 point threshold despite it being 5 months since I came off my last ban, and in your case 3 months. I suspect we're both in the same boat when it comes to infractions that they tend to be for the same category of offence - the mod's personal favourite with me is the "harassing or insulting other posters" one (would it really have killed you guys to hand out a couple of trolling infractions that I was clearly crying out for last summer) to the point where my most recent infraction for said offence will stay on my record for a year. With my most recent ban, offences which I had committed in July 2011 stayed on my record for long enough to both count towards a ban in April 2012, and influence the length of that ban. I think the 3 posts that I've had infracted since coming back from my "stop trolling the Indians" ban were spaced out over a period of 3 months. And yet that, combined with my previous record was enough to get me a month off, when I'd wager that in terms of forum ill-discipline I was nowhere near the top of the bad boy pile after my summer 2011 heyday. If I were a betting man I'd wager that Bob's disciplinary record is not too dissimilar to mine.

The double counting of infractions is ridiculous, particularly when a "serial offender" infraction exists - one that seems entirely redundant seeing as I've had 11 separate infractions for "lack of respect for, insulting or harassing other members" without yet moving up to the "serial offender" league. I'm currently on 15 points yet the next infraction that is due to fall off my record won't fall off until August, for a post made last July. Assuming no further infractions, I go down to 5 points in November and will be infraction free in February. So in January, an infracted post that I made in February of the previous year has the potential to tip me over the edge for a ban. That is stupid.

Cliffs - the double counting of infractions is ridiculous and Bob is correct.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought there was a special set of infraction rules that applied to all you ****s that have a monkey in your avatars?

ganeshran

International Debutant
The expiration time period of infraction points could be reduced, so the ones who return after longer bans have fewer infraction points still active.

Overall the system is right IMO, once you are banned for an offence, the leeway that you get next time is reduced. Even the law is stricter on repeat offenders.