Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The ignore feature on this forum is utterly pointless

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar

The ignore feature on this forum is utterly pointless

Greetings,

As you all know, I recently served a one month ban from the forums for being a bit of a dick. Since coming back I have tried to post more positively and have decided that the best tactic for dealing with posters who previously I might have given a bit of a spray is instead to place them on ignore instead, so that I don't have to read whatever cretinous rubbish is being posted by them. If I can't read it, then I can't respond to it.

However, the ignore function completely defeats this by giving me an option to view the post anytime I want by clicking "view post." I'll leave aside the whole "people quoting the person I have on ignore" problem, I can't see how that can be avoided short of ignoring literally every poster on the forum, but if I wanted to see what certain people were posting on this forum, then I wouldn't have them on ignore in the first place.

Is there anyway the ignore function can be enhanced so that it actually allows me to ignore posters by not even acknowledging that they've posted, instead of the "I know you don't care what this person has to say but here's a copy of it anyway for you to look at whenever you want" approach that the ignore function currently takes?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    TBF it's in your remit not to click on the "view post" option, but having had similar issues with someone I had on ignore, I do sympathise with ignoree's posts showing when quoted. Deeply, deeply annoying.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Ignore is also pointless because you ignore one guy and then all of a sudden he's posting with his 19 multis, gave up in the end
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    TBF it's in your remit not to click on the "view post" option, but having had similar issues with someone I had on ignore, I do sympathise with ignoree's posts showing when quoted. Deeply, deeply annoying.
    True, but I don't want to be shown that "this message has been hidden because Poster X is on your ignore list" with an option to view it anyway, that just defeats the purpose of having somone on your ignore list in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Ignore is also pointless because you ignore one guy and then all of a sudden he's posting with his 19 multis, gave up in the end
    Allegedly, etc...

cpr
    Know how GF feels, I've had posters on ignore before, only to find they've posted in a thread I want to post in, and its tough not to sneak a peek at what they've said

I found it easier NOT to use ignore, then skim blankly over what they said in my head.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    True, but I don't want to be shown that "this message has been hidden because Poster X is on your ignore list" with an option to view it anyway, that just defeats the purpose of having somone on your ignore list in the first place.
    No it doesn't. It takes a millisecond to glance over it and continue scrolling down, instead of reading the post halfway through, absorbing it in, then realising that you hate this poster. It will work if you want it to work. How hard is it to not click the view post button?

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    No it doesn't. It takes a millisecond to glance over it and continue scrolling down, instead of reading the post halfway through, absorbing it in, then realising that you hate this poster. It will work if you want it to work. How hard is it to not click the view post button?
    This.

Not that hard to ignore a post from a poster not on the ignore list either tbh. Or just laugh and move on and respond only when you want too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Pretty hard when you're a nosy bastard like me.

Although to be fair I'm getting better at it.

edit: ironically I went over to the match thread after posting this and Daemon has annoyingly quoted someone on my ignore list.
    Last edited by Furball; 16-09-2011 at 01:44 PM.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Pretty hard when you're a nosy bastard like me.

Although to be fair I'm getting better at it.
    I see what you mean though. I caved in to temptation and clicked 'view post' to read the OP as well

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Know how GF feels, I've had posters on ignore before, only to find they've posted in a thread I want to post in, and its tough not to sneak a peek at what they've said

I found it easier NOT to use ignore, then skim blankly over what they said in my head.
    That's like me blaming the biscuits for being a fat **** tho.

Although, tbf, I can't have them in the house because the temptation is too great, so can see what you mean.

Greetings,

As you all know, I recently served a one month ban from the forums for being a bit of a dick. Since coming back I have tried to post more positively and have decided that the best tactic for dealing with posters who previously I might have given a bit of a spray is instead to place them on ignore instead, so that I don't have to read whatever cretinous rubbish is being posted by them. If I can't read it, then I can't respond to it.

However, the ignore function completely defeats this by giving me an option to view the post anytime I want by clicking "view post." I'll leave aside the whole "people quoting the person I have on ignore" problem, I can't see how that can be avoided short of ignoring literally every poster on the forum, but if I wanted to see what certain people were posting on this forum, then I wouldn't have them on ignore in the first place.

Is there anyway the ignore function can be enhanced so that it actually allows me to ignore posters by not even acknowledging that they've posted, instead of the "I know you don't care what this person has to say but here's a copy of it anyway for you to look at whenever you want" approach that the ignore function currently takes?
    It's not something we can change within the settings in a normal fashion, however we can install a product that someone else created. Depends if James is keen on adding more modifications to the forum; it does make it harder to update forum software, move servers etc.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    It's not something we can change within the settings in a normal fashion, however we can install a product that someone else created. Depends if James is keen on adding more modifications to the forum; it does make it harder to update forum software, move servers etc.
    Haha, so no then.

Haha, so no then.
    Well we do have a few similar things installed for other reasons, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Multi detector being one? Waste of bandwidth. I can do that. Given the sceptism certain members have towards technology in cricket, we should adopt the same approach to multi hunting.

I'll start Monday. Busy weekend ahead.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information