• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ignore feature on this forum is utterly pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.

smash84

The Tiger King
can someone please tell me how I can put people on the ignore list. All this time I used to think that it was a figurative ignore list and people meant that they didn't actually read the poster's messages :laugh:

Bun

Banned
Multi detector being one? Waste of bandwidth. I can do that. Given the sceptism certain members have towards technology in cricket, we should adopt the same approach to multi hunting.

I'll start Monday. Busy weekend ahead.
UDRS > GIMH watching on internet

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More to the point, "ignore" is pointless because people quote people you may have on your ignore list anyway.

Although I vaguely remember Dicko giving me an answer to that in the lines of "well the forum doesn't revolve around ignore lists". I dunno if there's a way around it though....

Athlai

Not Terrible
The forum should add the feature SelfRestiant 2.18, it lets you view an ignored posters posts, but reminds you that when replying that you're an adult, and should know better than to stir ****.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It's not something we can change within the settings in a normal fashion, however we can install a product that someone else created. Depends if James is keen on adding more modifications to the forum; it does make it harder to update forum software, move servers etc.
At this point in time, I don't want to add any extra modifications to the forum until we're able to upgrade up into vBulletin 4.x.

The reason for this is that modifications for the vBulletin 3.x series generally have problems working with vBulletin 4.x and as PEWS said above, it makes an upgrade that much harder.

At this stage, we have no plans to upgrade to vBulletin 4.x, but I'd hope to seriously look it with Rich Twyman and the mod team within the next 6 months.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
At this point in time, I don't want to add any extra modifications to the forum until we're able to upgrade up into vBulletin 4.x.

The reason for this is that modifications for the vBulletin 3.x series generally have problems working with vBulletin 4.x and as PEWS said above, it makes an upgrade that much harder.

At this stage, we have no plans to upgrade to vBulletin 4.x, but I'd hope to seriously look it with Rich Twyman and the mod team within the next 6 months.
Fair enough - is it something that you'll be looking at should you upgrade to vB4 or is it to be filed away in the "no" drawer?

Something else that would really enhance the ignore feature would be the ability to ignore entire threads - particularly the "yes, but if we remove all Test matches starting on Tuesdays you'll find that player A's average drops by 0.000004, and it drops by 472 when you remove the teams I've decided to remove to prove my point" statsguru ****-waving type threads.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Fair enough - is it something that you'll be looking at should you upgrade to vB4 or is it to be filed away in the "no" drawer?
I definitely wouldn't put it away in the "no draw". Once we get the forum up to a stable platform version wise modifications that members and moderator alike feel would benefit the forum experience, we can consider.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Something else that would really enhance the ignore feature would be the ability to ignore entire threads - particularly the "yes, but if we remove all Test matches starting on Tuesdays you'll find that player A's average drops by 0.000004, and it drops by 472 when you remove the teams I've decided to remove to prove my point" statsguru ****-waving type threads.
how else am I supposed to prove AA > God then? :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The forum should add the feature SelfRestiant 2.18, it lets you view an ignored posters posts, but reminds you that when replying that you're an adult, and should know better than to stir ****.
Haha indeed.

Burgey

More to the point, "ignore" is pointless because people quote people you may have on your ignore list anyway.

Although I vaguely remember Dicko giving me an answer to that in the lines of "well the forum doesn't revolve around ignore lists". I dunno if there's a way around it though....
Sorry, did you say something?

:ph34r:

Burgey

Very good analogy.

(And yes its the biscuits fault, and Sainsburies for having them on offer. I'm sticking to that excuse.)
What's a Sainsbury?*

*Don't worry, private joke.

Last edited:

Burgey

Greetings,

As you all know, I recently served a one month ban from the forums for being a bit of a dick. Since coming back I have tried to post more positively and have decided that the best tactic for dealing with posters who previously I might have given a bit of a spray is instead to place them on ignore instead, so that I don't have to read whatever cretinous rubbish is being posted by them. If I can't read it, then I can't respond to it.

However, the ignore function completely defeats this by giving me an option to view the post anytime I want by clicking "view post." I'll leave aside the whole "people quoting the person I have on ignore" problem, I can't see how that can be avoided short of ignoring literally every poster on the forum, but if I wanted to see what certain people were posting on this forum, then I wouldn't have them on ignore in the first place.

Is there anyway the ignore function can be enhanced so that it actually allows me to ignore posters by not even acknowledging that they've posted, instead of the "I know you don't care what this person has to say but here's a copy of it anyway for you to look at whenever you want" approach that the ignore function currently takes?
I don't understand the ignore function though. I don't understand the point of a forum like this if you don't want to get hot under the collar and pour a bucket of **** on posters whose contributions you think are rank.

If you do it often enough, they'll either get better or leave.

Either way, everybody wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.