Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A plea for non-discrimination

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar

A plea for non-discrimination

I have just been reading Corrin's surprisingly eloquent post about the recent unfortunate banning of my favourite Scottish poster.

I know the thread has been locked, and I understand therefore that Furball's demise is not therefore considered a matter for public debate, but one point arising from the post does, in my view, deserve some further consideration.

I have noted a trend for any post that is negative on the subject of Mr Tendulkar to result in warnings/infractions, and worryingly that seems to be reaching a stage where legitimate comment and criticism or humour are being stifled.

On the other hand some players, notably Stuart Broad and Ian Bell, get regularly pilloried, and some very personal remarks made about them, with it seems there being no issues raised.

Surely this should be consistent? If someone questioned Sachin's gender, however deeply their tongue was planted in their cheek, I'm pretty sure there would consequences. Our Stu on the other hand seems to be fair game.

Or is Sachin just a special case? If he is he shouldn't be - any supporter of his who can't utilise 33,000 International runs and 99 centuries, not to mention all his other achievements, to repel any criticism of their hero really shouldn't, due to being so intellectually lacking, be posting on a cricket forum in the first place.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    It is not just Tendulkar - if you go after Bradman you will probably get warned as well. I am a fan of both players and I personally don't like it when either gets mocked.

Stuart Broad if and when he has taken a prolific number of wickets will probably get due protection as well.

All this said I hate it when my own countries players cop flack from anyone other than my own countrymen. And I think people should be careful about running down players outside of your jurisdiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I don't care how many moderators post in here and say it isn't policy. Because it's what's been happening.

I've never been bothered, personally, by posters calling my favourite players by certain names,- in some cases it can be quite funny. What concerns me is that all banter is taken out of the equation just because some people are likely to react more preciously than others.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I have just been reading Corrin's surprisingly eloquent post about the recent unfortunate banning of my favourite Scottish poster.

I know the thread has been locked, and I understand therefore that Furball's demise is not therefore considered a matter for public debate, but one point arising from the post does, in my view, deserve some further consideration.

I have noted a trend for any post that is negative on the subject of Mr Tendulkar to result in warnings/infractions, and worryingly that seems to be reaching a stage where legitimate comment and criticism or humour are being stifled.

On the other hand some players, notably Stuart Broad and Ian Bell, get regularly pilloried, and some very personal remarks made about them, with it seems there being no issues raised.

Surely this should be consistent? If someone questioned Sachin's gender, however deeply their tongue was planted in their cheek, I'm pretty sure there would consequences. Our Stu on the other hand seems to be fair game.

Or is Sachin just a special case? If he is he shouldn't be - any supporter of his who can't utilise 33,000 International runs and 99 centuries, not to mention all his other achievements, to repel any criticism of their hero really shouldn't, due to being so intellectually lacking, be posting on a cricket forum in the first place.
    Mocking Tendulkar is probably the easiest way to provoke a section of Indian fans and it is often the motive behind positng negatively about Mr. T. That IMO is the reason why negative posts about Mr. T get special attention.

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    This is rubbish.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Sachin is a homosexual cocksucking ******.

I won't get infracted. Context, people.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Seriously, some members on here (I won't name names) need to get out more and take in some fresh air.

This is what comes to mind everytime I see such posts/threads.

It's tiresome to see you telling people to get out more. What's it got to do with anything?
    Last edited by GIMH; 12-08-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Surely kids can be taken to the park, play a little cricket with them.

Breed the new generation of English cricketers that hopefully won't kick India's ass as bad as this current crop.

EDIT: Oh you edited your previous post it seems. All I mean to suggest is that these seem like such trivial matters, surely not something to get worked up over on the internet again and again. I mean it seems extremely silly to suggest that mods are biased towards a certain group, especially since the mod team is comprised of members from all parts of the world and really have no incentive to favour one group over another.
    Last edited by Turbinator; 12-08-2011 at 11:47 AM.

I edited my post because I was taking you too literally. It was a silly post by me.

Nonetheless, it's not as simple as thinking the mods are 'biased' because I don't think as individuals they are. It's much more complex than that.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    While I agree with the general sentiments of Turbinator, it's easier for someone to say that when they're not that active on CW. I'm assuming a lot of these guys access CW at work or something and it does take up a large part of their day, so it is somewhat significant to them. Got nothing to do with what's being discussed really.

What I think should be the case is that everyone knows the rules pretty clearly, and if you're going to try and stretch the rules and work ways around it, or even do it subtly then expect to pay the consequences. If someone else does the same and they don't get punished, then they probably just got lucky or overlooked, but that doesn't excuse your own actions does it?

I'm verryyy sleepy so I hope it somewhat made sense, if not I'll edit/elaborate tomorrow, if this isn't locked by then.

Oh, and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanCLS_hIo4
    Last edited by Daemon; 12-08-2011 at 11:55 AM.

As has been mentioned already, it's a case of reading the context. It's natural for people who the bait isn't dangled for to often completely fail to see it for what it is, and so assume that there's double standards at play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    As has been mentioned already, it's a case of reading the context. It's natural for people who the bait isn't dangled for to often completely fail to see it for what it is, and so assume that there's double standards at play.
    Yeha which is all well and good but the point you seem to be missing is that the bait is constantly dangled just as much for England/Australia/etc players as it is for precious Sachin.

The difference is in the reactions. I was warned for calling the India bowlers 'clowns'. Do you think that would happen if there weren't a bunch of posters likely to overreact (even though it was a 100% accurate statement)? England have been **** for a lot of the time I've posted here and nobody has ever been told off by the mods for saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yeha which is all well and good but the point you seem to be missing is that the bait is constantly dangled just as much for England/Australia/etc players as it is for precious Sachin.
    I don't think so. I might be missing it for reasons I have stated, but considering the recent reactions of neutral posters that aren't prejudiced against either team, I'm inclined to believe that it's not an equal give and take like what you make it to be.

The difference is in the reactions. I was warned for calling the India bowlers 'clowns'. Do you think that would happen if there weren't a bunch of posters likely to overreact (even though it was a 100% accurate statement)? England have been **** for a lot of the time I've posted here and nobody has ever been told off by the mods for saying it.
    I agree that the example you provide should not be grounds for infarction, but I wouldn't for one second pretend that that's representative of the instances that have led to a couple of recent bannings. Those were clearly a build up of posts deliberately designed with intention to provoke.

Simon Champion!
    The things people call Gambhir, Sreesanth and Harbhajan sometimes are way worse than Broad.

Also have seen Sachin called a lot of things too, it is all a matter of what context it is used in and how repetitive aka Shivfan and the West Indies/India series it is(which was a valid opinion for the first few times before it became irritating and just trolling).

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information