• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Postcounts - 2010

Would you be in favour of removing post-counts from postbits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really don't think it is. There are hundreds of n00bs who've demonstrated an ability not to transgress in that manner. To my knowledge, no 5-year-old has ever demonstrated the ability to do as you detail (if they have they're in an infinitessimal minority).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Richard, it seems that everyone disagrees with you on this one. Is it not reasonable to assume that, even if you disagree, it's in the best interests of the forum not to make such posts anymore? :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, it seems that everyone disagrees with you on this one. Is it not reasonable to assume that, even if you disagree, it's in the best interests of the forum not to make such posts anymore? :)
It might be. I still don't consider that people have thought it through entirely though, which is why I keep posting to that effect.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My points on post counts are simple. I think they are a good thing as they keep people in the community. One of the reasons I have not left and regularly posted elsewhere is that I dont want to abandon 12000+ post count and start again. If we didnt have post counts then there is certainly less to keep members here and no regular reminder of their investment in the forum and the time and effort they have poured into it.

From my own perspective, if we didnt have post counts then I think I would have been at a different forum by now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's a very good point, and one I'd not thought of in favour of postcounts (I am personally in favour of them being kept and always have been). But it isn't related to whether they should feature in postbits.

cpr

International Coach
It's not really an investment if you or others cant see the fruits of your labour (without digging).

If I see a post from a member i dont recognise (ie i venture into CC for once, or they venture out), i look at post count and join date to give me an idea of what sort of poster they might be, if they have 2000 in a month then I know they probably spend half their life in arguments and posting banal points (or its SS starting again - **** he didnt half go for it at one point IIRC) and probably wont take too much heed. If they've spent a year building up a thousand or two, then probably someone who thinks before they post and generally tend to offer something that has a bit of intellegence and worth reading. If they've got 5 posts then I know their either a brave **** or someone who's hear not for rubbish cricket arguments (eg myself) and tend to give them the benefit of doubt.

Take away post counts and I have to treat all as equals.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My points on post counts are simple. I think they are a good thing as they keep people in the community. One of the reasons I have not left and regularly posted elsewhere is that I dont want to abandon 12000+ post count and start again. If we didnt have post counts then there is certainly less to keep members here and no regular reminder of their investment in the forum and the time and effort they have poured into it.

From my own perspective, if we didnt have post counts then I think I would have been at a different forum by now.
I must admit, I find that very weird.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
All posts made September 2001 onwards don't count for much anyway. The 90's are where its at.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All posts made September 2001 onwards don't count for much anyway. The 90's are where its at.
Sadly that reduces all CW postcounts to 0, as the forum only came into existence in October 2001. That was the one really good development for the game at that time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It might be. I still don't consider that people have thought it through entirely though, which is why I keep posting to that effect.
I can't speak for everyone else, but yes, I have thought it through Richard. If everyone else thinks your conduct is wrong, regardless of your own opinion on it surely the decent thing to do is change your behaviour?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are criticisms I believe have not been fully though through - hence my objections to each of the handful of various criticisms in this thread so far.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Explain what you mean? If I say I've thought it through, I've thought it through

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There are criticisms I believe have not been fully though through - hence my objections to each of the handful of various criticisms in this thread so far.
If everyone took that attitude then the forum would be a pretty dire place though.

As far as I'm concerned, there's a constructive way of dealing with n00bs that doesn't chase them away from the site.

If people are making poor posts, you can ignore it, you can report it to the mods for them to deal with, or you can post constructively in an attempt to encourage people to stick around while at the same time gently guiding them to post in a better manner.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
When I join a new forum, it is not rare that I make a stupid mistake. The members or mods are always nice enough to point out a rule I might be breaking. I always have more respect for the particular forum for treating new members well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know that, but "being mean" isn't something with a concrete definition. It depends on a myriad of things.