• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Postcounts - 2010

Would you be in favour of removing post-counts from postbits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just start banning more members. This entire post count saga reminds me of committees that keep meeting up over tea and snacks and accomplish absolutely nothing of consequnce. Wasn't the original brief the improvement of forum atmosphere???
I think its a question of ban post counts, or ban Tendukar. A critical statistical appraisal of which is more beneficial to forum atmosphere is required.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am a bit surprised this issue has attracted as much attention as it has.

Personally I rather like postcounts - when I'm really bored, and indeed sometimes when I'm not, I use postcounts and other information in the postbit to make assumptions about folk - often wrong I'm sure but sometimes right no doubt - having occasionally looked at the milestones thread I have no doubt that others do this too.

So my view is that my postcount should go but everyone else's should stay

pasag

RTDAS
Just start banning more members. This entire post count saga reminds me of committees that keep meeting up over tea and snacks and accomplish absolutely nothing of consequnce. Wasn't the original brief the improvement of forum atmosphere???
How is it a saga?

It's been brought up, now people are having a vote. That's the main reason I haven't responded to any point here, don't want it to become a big issue, just want to let everyone have their say, come to a consensus and then we move on.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
How is it a saga?

It's been brought up, now people are having a vote. That's the main reason I haven't responded to any point here, don't want it to become a big issue, just want to let everyone have their say, come to a consensus and then we move on.
Post was in response to the discussion on this topic in the other thread as well, tbh. The main topic has been derailed completely with something that has minimal impact, if any, on forum atmosphere. It would seem natural to me, that if the mod team, assuming SS spoke for them all, started the original thread with intention of finding ways to improve forum atmosphere, they would make some acknowledgement of the suggestions offered in the thread in some form and outline concrete steps towards implementing some of them if necessary. Its been long enough since that topic was started for that stage to come to pass. Instead we're seeing inactivity on that front, and focus being diverted to this. I understand the two need not be necessarily related, but lack of action there does nothing to reassure me that that is the case. [/PMS]

pasag

RTDAS
Post was in response to the discussion on this topic in the other thread as well, tbh. The main topic has been derailed completely with something that has minimal impact, if any, on forum atmosphere. It would seem natural to me, that if the mod team, assuming SS spoke for them all, started the original thread with intention of finding ways to improve forum atmosphere, they would make some acknowledgement of the suggestions offered in the thread in some form and outline concrete steps towards implementing some of them if necessary. Its been long enough since that topic was started for that stage to come to pass. Instead we're seeing inactivity on that front, and focus being diverted to this. I understand the two need not be necessarily related, but lack of action there does nothing to reassure me that that is the case. [/PMS]
Yeah, but it was only brought up after that thread was on its last legs.

IMHO, the other thread wasn't about the moderators (and I was disappointed when it turned into a moderator grievance thing), more what senior members can do to improve the place and I think there was a noteable improvement with many people taking on board suggestions given by others.

At the same time, I would hope that the mods go through the entire thread, and address any issues that they feel they can have an impact on, discuss it as a group and make a decision one way or another. And lol at the irony of this thread reverting back to the original thread :p Back to postcounts....

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The GNR forum I used to play at got rid of post counts completely, purely because posters started having races to 1000 posts and what not and the place became littered with pointless posts. That sort of thing hardly ever happens at CW, I remember sledger and geg doing it as a one-off bet once and probably a few others but they have generally resulted in humorous posts rather than spam.

What's my point? That I don't think many people post just to boost their post count, and I don't think much harm comes from them. At the same time I wouldn't lose any sleep if they were removed, be it from the post or altogether.

If I had to, I'd with keep them for reasons I've stated elsewhere, but I don't think it's hugely important either way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Post was in response to the discussion on this topic in the other thread as well, tbh. The main topic has been derailed completely with something that has minimal impact, if any, on forum atmosphere.
Hence, a separate thread asking a question which, as you say, is of no real relation to the question posed by the thread about the 'phere in CC.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Why not just make it an option, so each person can choose whether their post count is displayed or not?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Keep 'em. For the solitary fact that when I read a lot of Richard's posts I wonder about his sanity, then look at his post-count and realise he's off his block :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not just make it an option, so each person can choose whether their post count is displayed or not?
Would be a great idea that, but have to doubt that it'd be workable with current vBulletin software.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmm, pasag had his turned off for a while, though it was obviously James that actually did that

jeevan

International 12th Man
So, how are James and the mods going to factor options 2,4,5 if they're going to use the poll as a factor in deciding whether to keep or chuck post counts (they don't have to). I suppose it could follow their biases.

The count presently is 11-5-22-9-4.

If biased towards removal, you could think only 22 don't want them gone and 29 either want them removed or don't mind or care.

If biased towards retention, it looks even better to think only 11 want them gone and 40 either want them kept or don't mind or care.

IOW poll is somewhat inconclusive, and the silent majority in the middle seems to have said nothing at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just to mention again - this poll is not about whether to get rid of postcounts, merely whether to remove them from postbits. I.E., have a postcount something that has to be looked-up, rather than something which is spoon-fed to anyone reading the forums.