Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automerging post feature

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

Automerging post feature

Whilst on another V Bulletin run forum I came across this feature and thought it might be of some use on CW. After posting in a thread I returned to it a few hours later, in which time no-one else had replied, and when I made a new post it was automatically merged my previous one with the message "after X hours and Y minutes Brumby added"

I just wondered about the possibility of this being trialled on CW as some of our more prolific posters can easily rattle off half a dozen uninterrupted posts. Think it would keep things tidier if these were merged into one.

Thoughts?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    If people wanted to lump a load of posts into one, thus making it harder for those they were replies to to reply and increasing substantially the chance of one massive post not even being glanced at, I imagine they'd post loads of things that'd be best in 3 or 4 posts in 1.

I imagine most people remember the reaction when Towns merged consecutive posts? Admittedly that might've been different if it was, say, McNamara doing the merging. Equally, the fact that the likes of McNamara have never bothered doing such a thing, and that Towns stopped doing so once a few people got uptight about it, suggests it's not the greatest of ideas.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Guessing that's a "no" from Dick, then.

Should've been clearer: thoughts from anyone who isn't Richard?

I dislike it when I see it on other forums, but that might just be because it looks odd to me, as it's not on CW...
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Not a great fan of it myself personally, but like yourself Brumby would be interested in seeing what others think.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I think it is a good idea. I sometimes do this manually anyway if no one's added to the thread since my last post.

It also quite annoying when someone has the last 5-10 posts on the thread.

I'm still more keen to see avatar comment fields. As I mentioned a good while ago, but had no explanation as to why it wasn't possible/a good idea...
    Last edited by HeathDavisSpeed; 10-01-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Woops, sorry about that Heath. That thread obviously completely slipped my mind. I've responded now.

International Regular
    It should be under a time period of say, 3 hours, cause I don't like it otherwise.

I like to read updates in separate posts as well.

I would like to try it, so Yes from me.

Why not? It isn't as though the world will end
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Maybe if it's in the space of a few minutes. Merging posts that are say 15 minutes apart would be a little extreme IMO. People could easily missed amended posts and wouldn't really help the flow of a discussion.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Will be discussed.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    one doubt :
    if somebody had posted a new post then the threadt will show in the front page as bolded rite,if i have allready viewd that post and then the same person post a new thing which has no relation to the earlier post will it be bolded or will remina as if i have already viewd it means not bolded ??

i always post different women in different post in hottest women thread if they are mixed wont look nice
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Maybe if it's in the space of a few minutes. Merging posts that are say 15 minutes apart would be a little extreme IMO. People could easily missed amended posts and wouldn't really help the flow of a discussion.
    It updates the post time and treats the whole thing as a new post. It's inbuilt in vbulletin 3.7.x but CW is still running 3.6.x.

Quote Originally Posted by barmyarmy View Post
    It updates the post time and treats the whole thing as a new post. It's inbuilt in vbulletin 3.7.x but CW is still running 3.6.x.
    Ha, it was on a politically correct site I noticed the feature, actually. If you catch my drift.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information