• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ignore Feature and 'Rules' you follow to Ignore someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You seem to be clutching at straws there Dicko, AFAIC it isn't breaking any rules.
There's really no way you can apply any consistency to it not doing so.
That's a reeeeeeal stretch. I do not concur.
Why not? How is one any more deplorable than the other?

If you say one is outlawed - which is fair enough in some ways - then there is precisely zero good reason to allow the other. "You are a <insert bad noun>" is no different to saying "you always\often post <insert derogatory adjective> stuff". The Forum Rules simply state "no insults - pretty straightforward, don't insult other members". Of course, it'd be far better if it stated "no abuse - don't abuse other members" because insults are taken not given.

Either way, saying "all (or even most of) your posts are idiotic" is no more or less abusive than saying "you're a ****". Both are things which cast aspersions on one's person. You should either allow both or allow neither.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have a similar experience by just putting one person on ignore, to be fair.
Ha! Quite.

Kinda curious as to who Brumby's ignoring...
Think the clues are there, tbh. :p

I think it was becoming apparent to all & sundry that I found his or her posts as irritating as iodine administered to a paper-cut across the Jap's eye & was finding it increasingly hard not to rise to the bait, so have disenfranchised myself from the good fight. Best thing I've done for ages, would recommend it.

I still see a fair bit of said poster's efforts tho because they're visible when quoted by other people.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you say one is outlawed - which is fair enough in some ways - then there is precisely zero good reason to allow the other.
I obviously disagree.

Either way, saying "all (or even most of) your posts are idiotic" is no more or less abusive than saying "you're a ****".
Again, I can't agree with that. That is the essential difference, and much like you with your many cricketing theories, I doubt you'll manage to convince me otherwise. :p

Feel free to bring it up with other mods, but I doubt it'll get far.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think it was becoming apparent to all & sundry that I found his or her posts as irritating as iodine administered to a paper-cut across the Jap's eye & was finding it increasingly hard not to rise to the bait, so have disenfranchised myself from the good fight. Best thing I've done for ages, would recommend it.
Indeed, I wish more people would. Obviously some people enjoy baiting others, which is understandable, but no less against the rules.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I obviously disagree.

Again, I can't agree with that. That is the essential difference, and much like you with your many cricketing theories, I doubt you'll manage to convince me otherwise. :p

Feel free to bring it up with other mods, but I doubt it'll get far.
All I'd like you to tell me is why you feel they are different. It's clear that you do. But TBH, I'd probably do best discuss this with you elsewhere.

One thing I'd like to make clear BTW - what I've said here isn't, by any stretch, purely as a result of Dale Brumby's location. His location has brought the thing to my attention again but it's something I've been thinking for ages.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ha! Quite.

Think the clues are there, tbh. :p

I still see a fair bit of said poster's efforts tho because they're visible when quoted by other people.
Hey Welcome to the Clubhouse - There is :wine: :beer: and :dj: too..Join the :gathering

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard calling himself an idiot? About time.
Nah, was stating the fairly obvious that someone is basically labelling every single post of mine idiocy (as distinct from saying "Dickinson is an idiot"). I wasn't commenting on my own views on this as I thought it unnecessary.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just a query about vBulletin, really. Currently posts made by people on one's ignore list show up as new posts, but is it possible to change the settings so they don't because it's mildly annoying to click on a thread where the only new contribution is:

This message is hidden because Poster X is on your ignore list.

Thanks in advance. :)
Was absolutely a serious question, this. Is it possible? Please...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard, how is what BB doing any different from saying something like 'and I don't see how anyone with an ounce of common sense/cricket knowledge/sanity could disagree with me.'?

Craig

World Traveller
Considering adding a certain poster to that list after his attempts to bait me ala what happened to Fiery.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, how is what BB doing any different from saying something like 'and I don't see how anyone with an ounce of common sense/cricket knowledge/sanity could disagree with me.'?
Which I've been asked several times to discontinue saying, and which I've seen the point of those making such a request, and almost completely stopped doing (other than in the cases of things along the lines of "I'd say Don Bradman was the best batsman ever, and I don't see how anyone with an ounce of common sense/cricket knowledge/sanity could disagree with me").

Several other people now say such a thing more regularly than I do - people with considerably smaller postcounts.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Ah-ha. I was looking for this post during the P-A-K-I debate. (apologies for filter avoidance)

Its interesting to see a supposed liberal (awkward sounding phrase but you get my meaning) using a term that causes terrible offence in the US on the few occasions it is ever used.

I myself dont use it now and find it very offensive. Not that it plays into my judgement of people, just that I ask it not to be used around me. I know the term is in common usage but it is very disespectful to use a feature of an ethnicity diferent to your own to describe a part of your penis

The first time I ever used the term in the States I was nearly lynched and Ive never used it again.

I could conclude you are a horrible racist but Im not stupid like others are when they misconstrue the usage of certain terms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.