• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Flem274*

123/5
Expected performance so far from both sides (Bar Strauss who i thought wouldn't last long). Backing a draw and that would benefit NZ more than England. Hopefully now the top 6 have had a look they can put some runs on the board next test. Redmond looked OK technically which is amazing for an NZ opener. How also got a good ball. Marshall looks better than his last incarnation and scored 24 runs more than expected (don't think he'll be in the team for long though). Taylor's brain is obviously still in India.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marshall looks better than his last incarnation and scored 24 runs more than expected (don't think he'll be in the team for long though).
Yes, but he gave three chances in this 24 (although one of them was a run-out chance which is a bit different to a bowling chance). Had Anderson been able to keep his foot behind the crease, Marshall would indeed have got 0.

I'm all for small positives, but try not to try taking small positives that aren't there!

On the plus side, he really is a complete spit of Hamish so if things are going badly, you could always see if you could get away with palming James off to Gloucs and taking Hamish back if he's in the runs (which he tends to be over here, having never been for ND or whoever he plays for).

FBU

International Debutant
He was suggesting the only major difference between Anderson and Broad was Anderson's head position on the point of delivery, looking down, and that this may possibly be the cause of his inconsistency, but not definitely.

Also Athers (I think it was ) added that he has returned to the style in which he used to bowl after efforts made from Troy Cooley to alter his action so his head is not so obviously looking at the floor.
Cooley was quite happy with Anderson's head going down and he didn't try to change that.That is where he gets his speed from. Anderson has said that he has tried with his head up but the ball just floats out. The change was to do with his hip/shoulder alignment. The change was to prevent injury and the time they decided to do it was in Zimbabwe when Anderson was running on the wicket thinking a change of action could help there. The result was lots of wides. So after bowling with a changed action to prevent injury he gets a stress fracture. He has gone back to bowling how he used to . What a waste of eighteen months. As to his head going down Wasim Akram says Anderson doesn't have a problem doing that as he keeps his head very still on delivery.

Holding was showing two of Andersons bouncers on Hawkeye one that swung and another that went straight on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Expected performance so far from both sides (Bar Strauss who i thought wouldn't last long). Backing a draw and that would benefit NZ more than England. Hopefully now the top 6 have had a look they can put some runs on the board next test. Redmond looked OK technically which is amazing for an NZ opener. How also got a good ball. Marshall looks better than his last incarnation and scored 24 runs more than expected (don't think he'll be in the team for long though). Taylor's brain is obviously still in India.
Don't think it benefits either side tbh, can't see you taking a Test off us with your current batting line-up.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So....will there be any more play today? Unlikely IMO

Any chance of England forcing a result in the last two days? Or indeed NZ? Could be interesting if either side decides to go for it.
England to be on and off the pitch tomorrow, getting to 80 or so runs behind NZ, then declaring. New Zealand the crumble for <150, all out on the morning of day five. England lose 7 wickets in scoring the runs in the gloom of the final session.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Good weather forecast for tomorrow and Monday. Should get in 200 overs.

70 overs to make 300 runs, declare
80 overs to bowl out NZ (for 250)
50 overs to chase 180-odd

Surely this is within the realms of the possible? (worried about avatar tbh)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think it benefits either side tbh, can't see you taking a Test off us with your current batting line-up.
A similar batting lineup took a Test off England in New Zealand. Yes, that one had Fleming, who could typically guarantee a 50 per innings. But it also had Matt Bell, who could typically guarantee a duck per innings. So it's a tight call.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England to be on and off the pitch tomorrow, getting to 80 or so runs behind NZ, then declaring. New Zealand the crumble for <150, all out on the morning of day five. England lose 7 wickets in scoring the runs in the gloom of the final session.
Source?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A similar batting lineup took a Test off England in New Zealand. Yes, that one had Fleming, who could typically guarantee a 50 per innings. But it also had Matt Bell, who could typically guarantee a duck per innings. So it's a tight call.
True that, but our bowling line-up included Harmison who was spraying it more than Vince Neil in 83

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, but he gave three chances in this 24 (although one of them was a run-out chance which is a bit different to a bowling chance). Had Anderson been able to keep his foot behind the crease, Marshall would indeed have got 0.
He didn't get out though, so we got to see his improved technique. Whilst it was obviously a poor innings, the time he spent out there let us get a good look at him. Flem isn't saying he's impressed that Marshall managed to score 24 - far from it - he's saying he's impressed with the way he looked while he was out there.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
A draw looming, so a kiwi fan can only hope that no bowlers get injuries, or a NZ batsman in the top 3 come good (more than likely Redmond) in the 2nd innings.

I'd like to think that Mark O Neill do his job (TV shots of him sitting his fat ass next to Taylor in the balcony after he got out) and we see Taylor back to his 'test mode' in the 2nd turn at bat.

Quick note: That run-out is Taylor's doing? Although he is the brother who's known to run people out.

cover drive man

International Captain
Looking like a draw we've got two days and three innings to have. I think if England get a decent score here they'll probably go for the draw in my opinion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He didn't get out though, so we got to see his improved technique. Whilst it was obviously a poor innings, the time he spent out there let us get a good look at him. Flem isn't saying he's impressed that Marshall managed to score 24 - far from it - he's saying he's impressed with the way he looked while he was out there.
Hmm - seemed like he was saying the former to me TBH. I can't comment on the latter obviously as I haven't seen Marshall bat before and have no idea how good or poor he was or now is relative to that.

Put it this way, though - he certainly looked a bit better than Taylor did.