• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best pace bowler of all time?

Athlai

Not Terrible
No The Aussies did not win the emerging series..ALL we have won is the last THREE World Cups are currently Ranked NUMBER ONE in ALL forms of the game..Whitewashed England in the last Ashes series FIVE to NIL...jeez we gotta leave something for the rest of you...We are not greedy:laugh: :laugh:
Let it happen TBH, you guys missed Bond in the World Cup, only reason you won it (other than playing better than anyother team mayhap) and England? Its England. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top 10:

1. Sidney Barnes
2. Sir Richard Hadlee
3. Glenn McGrath
4. Malcolm Marshall
5. Curtly Ambrose
6. Dennis Lillee
7. Fred Trueman
8. Imran Khan
9. Allan Donald
10. Wasim Akram
Sydney Barnes was not a seam-bowler, he was a fast wristspinner.

Flem274*

123/5
*Resisting urge to rant and rave about Bond and Hadlee as well as Stephen Fleming's decent ODI bowling average of 29.00*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No doubt for me that Hadlee is right up in consideration, BTW, but was probably just a small notch below Marshall. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Pace" bowler is a misnomer, it refers to the speed rather than the genre of bowler.

Of which, generally, there are two - seamers and spinners. Seamers seek to use the seam to either get seam off the pitch or swing through the air, and spinners spin the ball to try and turn it off the pitch.

And both sets of bowlers vary in speed. A fast spinner would bowl at, say, 60mph (or more) but the trouble is, we don't know how fast bowlers actually were before 1998. A fast seamer would bowl at, say, 90mph.

Flem274*

123/5
No doubt for me that Hadlee is right up in consideration, BTW, but was probably just a small notch below Marshall. :)
*Resisting urge, resisting urge, not quite working*

*Decides to rant about something else to distract himself*

THIS TEAM

Michael Papps
Lou Vincent
Peter Fulton
Stephen Fleming
Scott Styris
Brendan McCullum
Jacob Oram
Daniel Vettori
James Franklin
Shane Bond
Iain O'Brien

Will ANNIHALATE, DESTROY, MURDER, SPIT OUT, WHACK OVER THE HEAD WITH A CATTLE PROD OR WHATEVER......THIS TEAM WHICH IS YOUR FUTURE!!!

Phil 'Chases wide ones from Bond" Jacques
Whatsisname Cosgrove
Ricky "Apeman" Ponting
Michael "Still in nappies" Clarke
Shane "Metro-homo-mummys boy" Watson
Michael *No insult* Hussey
Brad Haddin
Brett "pretty boy" Lee
Stuart McGill
Stuart "Forest Gump" Clark
Shaun "Can't bowl straight" Tait

So go crawl under you little hole in the middle of the outback and DIE!!!

*Breathes deeply*

Richard take my side, you can argue anything. Pleaseeeee

2 random rants in two days, they'll lock me up in the loony bin soon

EDIT: This rant was not directed at Richard, despite the way the quote may suggest otherwise

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
"Pace" bowler is a misnomer, it refers to the speed rather than the genre of bowler.

Of which, generally, there are two - seamers and spinners. Seamers seek to use the seam to either get seam off the pitch or swing through the air, and spinners spin the ball to try and turn it off the pitch.

And both sets of bowlers vary in speed. A fast spinner would bowl at, say, 60mph (or more) but the trouble is, we don't know how fast bowlers actually were before 1998. A fast seamer would bowl at, say, 90mph.
Haha, so a spinner is a type of pace bowler now?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
*Resisting urge, resisting urge, not quite working*

*Decides to rant about something else to distract himself*

THIS TEAM

Michael Papps
Lou Vincent
Peter Fulton
Stephen Fleming
Scott Styris
Brendan McCullum
Jacob Oram
Daniel Vettori
James Franklin
Shane Bond
Iain O'Brien

Will ANNIHALATE, DESTROY, MURDER, SPIT OUT, WHACK OVER THE HEAD WITH A CATTLE PROD OR WHATEVER......THIS TEAM WHICH IS YOUR FUTURE!!!

Phil 'Chases wide ones from Bond" Jacques
Whatsisname Cosgrove
Ricky "Apeman" Ponting
Michael "Still in nappies" Clarke
Shane "Metro-homo-mummys boy" Watson
Michael *No insult* Hussey
Brad Haddin
Brett "pretty boy" Lee
Stuart McGill
Stuart "Forest Gump" Clark
Shaun "Can't bowl straight" Tait

So go crawl under you little hole in the middle of the outback and DIE!!!

*Breathes deeply*

Richard take my side, you can argue anything. Pleaseeeee

2 random rants in two days, they'll lock me up in the loony bin soon

EDIT: This rant was not directed at Richard, despite the way the quote may suggest otherwise
Clark > O'Brien TBF.

And I can't ever see Mark Cosgrove opening for Australia, TBH. :confused:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, so a spinner is a type of pace bowler now?
Well, um, no actually. :huh:

As I say - I dislike the term "pace" bowler, really. Pace is not an on-off thing, it's a gradual scale. Whereas seam\spin is (usually) a straightforward thing, either one or the other.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Flem I don't think Flem's going to be around that much longer. :laugh: He'll probably go around the same time as Hayden if this whole ICL thing doesn't change things. And more Patel for me, haven't seen the O'Brien character enough to have an opinion of him yet.

Flem274*

123/5
Flem I don't think Flem's going to be around that much longer. :laugh: He'll probably go around the same time as Hayden if this whole ICL thing doesn't change things. And more Patel for me, haven't seen the O'Brien character enough to have an opinion of him yet.
Nah he'll stick around to get his average and centuries increased to shut up all the Fleming bashers. I can feel a triple hundred on the way....