• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
England making a decent fight out of it, but they will fall short unless Collingwood along with the rest of tthe lower order can do something superb.

PY

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
After 33 overs England's projected score is 305... so they're not that far behind, until the remaining batting is taken into account that is..
They get 305, it'll take a monumental effort.

I'd say 250-odd looks on.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PY said:
They get 305, it'll take a monumental effort.

I'd say 250-odd looks on.
I wouldn't have thought so, even if England lost 3 quick wickets say and it was effectively over they'd still eke out some worthless runs.

Wish Gooch would shut up on TMS, he seems to think anything over 7 an over is impossible over the last 10.

Scaly piscine

Another useless ODI performance from Geraint. Cannot afford these weak links in ODI cricket, an extra 10-20 runs here when bowling from each one and 10-20 runs less when England are batting for each one. This makes a huge difference in ODI cricket.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, virtually every time we're 5 down we're finished - teams like Australia and most others are still dangerous.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dalrymple has been fairly impressive in his two games so far with bat, ball & in the field he could be a useful addition to England's stuggling ODI outfit when the side returns to full strenght.

edit: now he gets out..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Another useless ODI performance from Geraint. Cannot afford these weak links in ODI cricket, an extra 10-20 runs here when bowling from each one and 10-20 runs less when England are batting for each one. This makes a huge difference in ODI cricket.
word, Jones is not helping himself with his poor performances, he & the selectors must know if he doesn't lift his game surely he will have to make way for someone else.

Scaly piscine said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, virtually every time we're 5 down we're finished - teams like Australia and most others are still dangerous.
Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Dalrymple
Read
Harmison
Jones
Anderson

back up: Joyce, Blackwell/Giles, Plunkett, Loudon/Chapple

If everyone is fit again this for me would be England best OD side/squad for the World Cup
& with that XI if England go 5 down at least you have some strength low down like teams like Australia, Pakistan & South Africa.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
forget Simon Jones, completely unproven as a OD player let a lone a ODI player and no time before the world cup to change that.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
forget Simon Jones, completely unproven as a OD player let a lone a ODI player and no time before the world cup to change that.
ah yes your right, even if he recovers before the world cup begins he wont have any games to get match fit. So yea he is better of forgotten. In that case our own Chapple could be a good replacement good bowler & more than handy lower-order batsman...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
out goes Colly and England hopes..
As if Colly was going to win you matches.8-) 8-) Colly specializes in scoring useless runs in games where England has no chance of winning. His average flatters him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
As if Colly was going to win you matches.8-) 8-) Colly specializes in scoring useless runs in games where England has no chance of winning. His average flatters him.
WTF?, you are kidding right?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Wish Gooch would shut up on TMS, he seems to think anything over 7 an over is impossible over the last 10.
It is if Collingwood, Dalrymple and co are at the crease.

We are nothing more than a one man band and even KP can not prevent the inevitable from happening.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss captaincy today was absolutely dire, his choices of when to take the power plays was ridiculous and how anyone could throw the ball back to a guy who is going at more than ten runs an over is beyond lunacy.

Mike Atherton made a rather good point I felt, slightly ironic considering it came from him but why is it if you are middle class, university educated cricketer you are suddenly earmarked as a future England captain? As being in the case of Andrew Strauss, who did nothing to suggest he would be a good candidate whilst at Middlesex but because he supposedly has a some intellect it must transpire that he has a good cricketing acumen.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
what really annoys be about Collingwood is the blummin chip shots he executes all the time. Fair enough it might be a decent option once in a while, but he's starting to use it exlusively and rarely hits through the ball, a few times today he chipped balls that were there to be hit and they only went for 2 instead of 4.

and when he came down the pitch and missed, he was only trying to chip it into the on side

Scaly piscine

superkingdave said:
what really annoys be about Collingwood is the blummin chip shots he executes all the time. Fair enough it might be a decent option once in a while, but he's starting to use it exlusively and rarely hits through the ball, a few times today he chipped balls that were there to be hit and they only went for 2 instead of 4.

and when he came down the pitch and missed, he was only trying to chip it into the on side
Thought you'd be a fan of that sort of thing, what with Fairbrother being one of the best servants Lancashire had. Colly wasn't that far off scoring at a run a ball and you can end up smashing balls and only getting a single or nothing anyway.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
When was the last time Collingwood played a match winning inning ?
ok he hasn't in a while but i don't know if you have been watching Collingwood over the past year, but his value to England's very inconsistent OD side is second to none.