• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd choose Goughy imo. He seems to know a bit about fast bowling.
Haha. Indeed, I'd not mind Kev having a chance to examine my action (and Naughty that if you REALLY must but I'd say it's getting a bit tired now, TBH) if the chance arose.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hang on, everyone knows that we've been a shade dire at times. Additionally, everyone has just been having a go at Vaughan for publicly criticizing a player. Now you're having a go at him for defending them - what do people want?
That's a very fair point IMO. Vaughan in a lose-lose situation it seems.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kumble uses spin (topspin) to produce bounce, that's the thing.
And this is even more exaggerated on pitches which are bouncy, obviously. And even more effective on pitches which had inconsistent bounce.

Richard said:
And he can bowl the occasional pretty decent Leg-Break too... :mellow:
Well.. I disagree, really. His actual leg break is fairly ordinary - it's Afridi-esque really. His variation is spin, bounce and ability to execute plans perfectly are what make him what he is - not his leg break which isn't really test standard in itself, IMO.

MiddleOrdaBiffa

Cricket Spectator
Indeed, the sort of ball Matthew Hayden has made a career of being dismissed by.
So Haydens terribly overrated as you say....even though he's been unlucky enough to get lots of balls that swing an absolute mile at 90 miles an hour, which no-one in the world would have survived?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As for Harmison... well I haven't said much on the issue, as I personally think way too much has been made of it by basically everyone in England. But enough is enough I feel.

The Sky commentators, who I generally hold in high regard, and ridiculous about it. Comments like "It's left-over baggage from Australia, I'm sure of it" along with the continual over-analysis of how he is doing, the over-importance placed on him doing well and, the be-all-and-end-all comment which has basically prompted this post by Nasser Hussain:
"I know he played a few games of County Cricket at the start of the season, but maybe a full season of County Cricket could help. Would that be the best thing for him though?"

Well, to be honest, whether it is the best thing for Harmison isn't relevant. It's quite obvious that it's the best thing for "Team England" as Nasser likes to put it - that Harmison is not playing. The obsession and fixation with making Harmison a good bowler is getting beyond ridiculous. He had a golden patch of form where he was a very good bowler that lasted a year or so - that time has passed. He was a poor bowler before them, and he seems to be an even worse bowler now. People seem to treat it as if the Ashes 2006-07 to now period is the exception to the norm and needs to be fixed - well, it's not, really. The real exception was when Harmison was bowling well - England got a lot of out that... in fact it helped them win the Ashes in 2005 (whether or not he ultimately had good figures in the matches England won or not - he bowled well generally and continued the pressure that existed with the rest of the attack as they worked as a whole..). However, lots of players have small golden periods in their career where everything clicks and things go well - esepcially bowlers whose main problems exist with consistency and accuracy.

So I'm sorry Nasser Hussain, and all the other commentators, and some of the forumers here, and seemingly the English management - but what is best for Steve Harmison is not important. It's time to forget about him really - for now anyway. Drop him from the team, give someone else a go and stop fixating on him. If he does well consistently in County Cricket and a spot opens up - sure, give him another go. But the fixation, the theories, the genius ideas and the near obsession with "getting Harmy right again" has to stop. He's not good enough anymore and hasn't been for quite a while now - in fact, he's been laughably bad - give him the flick and move on.

pasag

RTDAS
Dire cricket all round tbh. Rubbish day from both sides with one spell from Monty saving it from being the worst day of the series, I reckon. And Strauss, ffs, has become a walking wicket. Needs to be dropped asap for everyones sake. And Harmison, what a joke. How the hell does he keep on getting selected? Gtfo! This is really sad. If this bowling lineup doesn't improve by the time India get there, there may be a massive shock or two in store.

stumpski

International Captain
Dire cricket all round tbh. Rubbish day from both sides with one spell from Monty saving it from being the worst day of the series, I reckon.

And yet, if you hadn't seen any of it, and just looked at the stats - 363 runs, 14 wickets, on the face of it it looks like superb entertainment.

It was entertaining, but not in a good way. :dry:

stumpski

International Captain
I only saw the Sky highlights. Saw enough in two hours to get a pretty good idea what it was like though.

Lead goes past 200 thanks to a long-hop from Sammy.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This cricket just isn't exciting, I'm just waiting for a wicket to go down so I can see KP.