• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

The_Bunny

State Regular
Hmm this thread was interesting at first... now its just silly:ph34r:
On these sort of matters no one is going to agree with you unless you say they are right...

8-) Still it is amusing in a way..... Continue:ph34r:

Bracken

U19 Debutant
well, however bad he may have been, it is no reason to boo a guy when he is lecturing the Australian cricketers AND the visiting team. That just smacks of disrespect.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. If this did happen (and I have no opinion either way- I've never heard of the incident before, but I certainly don't consider myself to have an encyclopedic knowledge of cricket history) it was extremely disrespectful, as it would be to any speaker.

In saying that, I could imagine the disrespect being completely intentional. While Bradman was obviously a phenom on the field, he was apparently widely disliked off the field, all he way back to his own playing days from some of his own teammates. Apparently, there was spontaneous laughter from some corners of his own dressing room when he was dismissed in his last innings, such was the animosity.

From what I have read, there were a couple of distinct groups within that team based on religious lines. Also, Bradman was resented for the fact that although he is held up as a national hero, he also came within a whisker of quitting the country in his playing days to take up a lucrative offer in England. The fact that the cricket board pretty much emptied their coffers to keep him in Australia (thereby leaving very little for his team mates) led to a lot of resentment.

Also, when he led the ACB he was at the forefront of resistance to increasing the pay or conditions of the test players, and was generally considered aloof and unpleasant for the players to deal with.

Essentially, up until the generation of players that came into the system after WSC, Bradman was certainly not universally revered.

archie mac

International Coach
Yes, you are absolutely correct. If this did happen (and I have no opinion either way- I've never heard of the incident before, but I certainly don't consider myself to have an encyclopedic knowledge of cricket history) it was extremely disrespectful, as it would be to any speaker.
I know that Stackpole and Chappelli refused to stand for Bradman when he gave a talk once, but this story is very hard to believe.

In saying that, I could imagine the disrespect being completely intentional. While Bradman was obviously a phenom on the field, he was apparently widely disliked off the field, all he way back to his own playing days from some of his own teammates. Apparently, there was spontaneous laughter from some corners of his own dressing room when he was dismissed in his last innings, such was the animosity.
I think it was from O'Reilly and Fingleton in the press box and was reported by 'Jim' Swanton

From what I have read, there were a couple of distinct groups within that team based on religious lines. Also, Bradman was resented for the fact that although he is held up as a national hero, he also came within a whisker of quitting the country in his playing days to take up a lucrative offer in England. The fact that the cricket board pretty much emptied their coffers to keep him in Australia (thereby leaving very little for his team mates) led to a lot of resentment.
ACB did nothing of the sort, Bradman took up a three way job, one with 2ue (radio) writing for a newspaper and a sports store, not sure where you read that? In fact the board told him if he continued to work for the newspaper he would not be allowed to play for Aust. But that is another story

Also, when he led the ACB he was at the forefront of resistance to increasing the pay or conditions of the test players, and was generally considered aloof and unpleasant for the players to deal with.
True

Essentially, up until the generation of players that came into the system after WSC, Bradman was certainly not universally revered.
I think from the end of the Second World War he pretty much was revered, bar Chappelli and Keith Miller and maybe one or two others.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
so you believe McDermott but not Wadekar?

And it is relevant in the sense that it was the PLAYERS who booed Bradman, not the crowd. And hence it shows how rude the Aussie players can be, or more pertinently, have been in the past. It is one thing for a common spectator to boo a great player but quite another for fellow players to boo the GREATEST batsman of all time, someone no other batsman has even got close to.

BTW, I dont think it is all that relevant to the present day Aussie cricketers, tbh. Its not like just because their predecessors were rude, these guys are gonna be rude as well. But the point shows that THAT particular bunch of Aussie cricketers were rude enough to boo the greatest batsman of all time.
My point is that, no matter where you search, no-one has ever supported this story!

What makes it even more far fetched is that "The Don" still controlled these players livelihoods and there is no way in the wide world that they would jeopardise this

Bottom line - chances are it never happened

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned

I know that Stackpole and Chappelli refused to stand for Bradman when he gave a talk once, but this story is very hard to believe.

I think it was from O'Reilly and Fingleton in the press box and was reported by 'Jim' Swanton

ACB did nothing of the sort, Bradman took up a three way job, one with 2ue (radio) writing for a newspaper and a sports store, not sure where you read that? In fact the board told him if he continued to work for the newspaper he would not be allowed to play for Aust. But that is another story

True

I think from the end of the Second World War he pretty much was revered, bar Chappelli and Keith Miller and maybe one or two others.
Excellent Bradmanophilia guys :thumbsup:

pup11

International Coach
I think Ricky praised Tendulkar to just show everyone that he doesn't have anything against the Indian team or any Indian players and he and his team are far from the devils that Gavaskar's has accused them to be.

Bracken

U19 Debutant

True

Fair enough. I'll defer to your knowledge on this- my recollection of the things I have read has probably diminished over time.

I'm sure that I recall there being more players of Chappell's era that butted heads with Bradman's ACB, though.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
at least i don't have a sig about the spice girls
Don't diss up Spice Girls, they're pretty cool. I just found one of their songs on my computer, "Tell me whatchya want whatchya really really want, I'll give ya watchya want, watchya really really want... If you wanna' be my lover...". Sikk song :cool: !

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Don't diss up Spice Girls, they're pretty cool. I just found one of their songs on my computer, "Tell me whatchya want whatchya really really want, I'll give ya watchya want, watchya really really want... If you wanna' be my lover...". Sikk song :cool: !

Get out.

Now.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Are you still in school?? Now come on Turb, be honest. That's the only way one can explain your post about the spice girls being good.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you still in school?? Now come on Turb, be honest. That's the only way one can explain your post about the spice girls being good.
Yea you didn't know :unsure:, I am 16.

Btw, let me clarify, I don't think Spice Girls are good, it's just I found one of their old songs... and it sounded pretty sikk :happy: .

EDIT: But then again, as I've said before, I love almost all love/soft/RnB music no matter who it's by :cool:.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I think Turb you seriously need stop listening to Spice Girls since it could damage you brain cells, because listening to them is like being tortured.

R_D

International Debutant
I think Ricky praised Tendulkar to just show everyone that he doesn't have anything against the Indian team or any Indian players and he and his team are far from the devils that Gavaskar's has accused them to be.
That might be a little attempt of ponting to appease the indian fans after he had a go at their team.

FRAZ

International Captain
Am anxious to see the day this thread will break the box office record of Dilwale Dulhaniya Lay Jayenge !!!

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Am anxious to see the day this thread will break the box office record of Dilwale Dulhaniya Lay Jayenge !!!
:laugh:

Isn't it still running in some Mumbai theatre(s) :unsure: :-O ... ? Or I think it stopped sometime last year or the year before that. Not sure.

I think Turb you seriously need stop listening to Spice Girls since it could damage you brain cells, because listening to them is like being tortured.
Nah I don't listen to them, I just heard that one song after a long time dawg.

FRAZ

International Captain
Don't stop him for what he wants what he really really wants !

Last edited: