• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Kumar Sangakkara ( as Test batsmen )

Who was the greater Test batsman?

• Sangakkara

• Kallis

Results are only viewable after voting.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Did you ever watch him play?
This was covered earlier when he basically acknowledged that he didn't. I think he's really early 20's.

When guys like @peterhrt or @Line and Length speak, I early listen to their observations and insight. They saw the greats, same as with @fredfertang. This version of 20 year old believes they know everything from a quick glance through statguru or through nationalistic lens.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
But its crazy to rate Viv around there.
As with Smith, there are tiers to this and Viv is in multiple above.
Guys like @peterhrt who actually saw him and some before him only rates Sachin and his namesake in the same breath as him.

But yes, fast is bad, and we've had this conversation too many times. Viv, Smith, Lara all in that same tier and for me also in the same tier as Sachin, Sobers and Hobbs. Lower in said tier, but in the same one.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
As with Smith, there are tiers to this and Viv is in multiple above.
Guys like @peterhrt who actually saw him and some before him only rates Sachin and his namesake in the same breath as him.

But yes, fast is bad, and we've had this conversation too many times. Viv, Smith, Lara all in that same tier and for me also in the same tier as Sachin, Sobers and Hobbs. Lower in said tier, but in the same one.
lol nah more like fast isn’t inherently better than slow for me, but yeah lets not go down that road again here.

mb, I thought you were saying in that post you had Smith at 12th or so which is why I commented what I did.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
lol nah more like fast isn’t inherently better than slow for me, but yeah lets not go down that road again here.

mb, I thought you were saying in that post you had Smith at 12th or so which is why I commented what I did.
Nooooo, Ponting.

You just critiqued my list a couple hours ago.

Smith is well above these guys. Think I have Viv 5th and Smith 6th, Lara 7th. Either Lara at 7 or the guy at 8 ends that tier for me.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Nooooo, Ponting.

You just critiqued my list a couple hours ago.

Smith is well above these guys. Think I have Viv 5th and Smith 6th, Lara 7th. Either Lara at 7 or the guy at 8 ends that tier for me.
Ah ok cool, sorry my mistake then mate.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Unless my memory is totally washed. I distinctly recall Ponting at intervals challenging Lara and Sachin as the best is the world. And one point eventually was. Just from watching and not dicing into stat guru, can't place those guys ahead of him.
And then Sanga's performance started blowing everyone out of the water, and we started losing sense of what numbers meant ( and then Smith took it up another notch entirely towards the end of the flat pitch era).

Just because Ponting was in the conversation earlier, doesn't make him better.

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't have time for this whole thread but did subs manage to drive everyone to Kallis's camp with an asinine "Kallis's runs somehow hurt his team" level of argument?
Kallis love is rampant on this board.

Criticizing Kallis' ability to accelerate most of his career is a standard argument.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Kallis love is rampant on this board.

Criticizing Kallis' ability to accelerate most of his career is a standard argument.
Give a dog a bone... Maybe i should not have posted this.

On the bright side, after 1000 (or more) aniti-kallis posts, you are finally posting a legitimate criticism.