• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Socerer 01

International Captain
Ross Taylor, unfortunately, isn't the best at analysis. To say 'I think it's a forced retirement' is hilarious, really. No ****, Ross.

Australia, meanwhile, continues its reputation as a mini America that has zero idea of what happens outside its borders. I don't know if there is a single Australian citizen outside of PEWS who follows cricket that isn't played by Australia and/or in Australia. Where Finch and Ferguson said Wagner should be playing, it wouldn't have been surprising to hear them say Shane Bond should have been there because he was so good in the 2002 VB series.
it isnt just Australia when it comes to outdated views towards NZ cricket, reddit seems to think Guptill and Taylor were pushed to retirement too early along with Wagner for eg in that news post

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
There's only the big one, the other two's just piggybacking on multiple tours from/to India. The cricketing market worldwide probably wouldn't be even 20% of what it is without the big "one" - just talking about economics of course.
Hmmm, I think you'll find "the other 2" has this series that goes pretty well for their boards.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There might be worse posters on the site than R!tter (debatable), but there's none with quite as many cerebral challenges.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Also drew here 1-1 in 1993 against an unknown Warne (who had a very good series pre-Ashes/ball of the century) with Rutherford finally showing his talent.

Jeff Wilson played that matchwinning knock in an ODI then became an All Black superstar.
Of course I forget the drawn home series that happened before I was born.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Kane looking to squeeze as many superlatives into one bunch of quotes as possible :laugh:

Having thought about Ross' belief that it was a 'forced retirement', that's such an average viewpoint. No one is ever told to retire, least of all a guy of Wagner's calibre. I would be so surprised if Stead, or anyone, said 'cmon Wags, you need to retire'. You get dropped, it's up to you as to whether you go back, find an extra yard somewhere, and come back stronger. I dunno how Ross has viewed a picture of Wags pulling the finger and decided that's evidence that he was forced to retire. Super batsman, Ross, don't think he'll ever cut it as a pundit though

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Hmmm, I think you'll find "the other 2" has this series that goes pretty well for their boards.
The Indian market, not just the Indian tour, is probably the biggest source of revenue for any of the boards out there including ECB & CA -
This is from way back near the middle of the last decade. The Indian tours, and market, has only grown since then. I remember reading somewhere that the BBL had most of its outside(total?) revenue from India. The ECB's dependence should be lower though but we tour Oz 2-3 times every 4/5 years & they're split tours now.

I've never said it's a good thing but really outside of the Indian market/tours cricket is almost insolvent maybe with the exception of Ashes. And again not a good thing because for me BCCI, Indian corporates only care about T20 - the giving weightage to tests/intl games is a legacy thing! It will also fade away because of how the schedule & teams are being selected with IPL being the priority.

I quite liked that idea of multiple boards selling their rights together as a packaged deal not sure what happened to that? Maybe NZ should also try to sell their rights with SA/WI/CA/SL or anyone who has more tests/ODI than T20 on their radar.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain

Kane looking to squeeze as many superlatives into one bunch of quotes as possible :laugh:

Having thought about Ross' belief that it was a 'forced retirement', that's such an average viewpoint. No one is ever told to retire, least of all a guy of Wagner's calibre. I would be so surprised if Stead, or anyone, said 'cmon Wags, you need to retire'. You get dropped, it's up to you as to whether you go back, find an extra yard somewhere, and come back stronger. I dunno how Ross has viewed a picture of Wags pulling the finger and decided that's evidence that he was forced to retire. Super batsman, Ross, don't think he'll ever cut it as a pundit though
Having watch the show it was almost as though that's what Ross was told/guided into saying the questions asked were all worded to make the blackcaps look as bad as possible

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Having watch the show it was almost as though that's what Ross was told/guided into saying the questions asked were all worded to make the blackcaps look as bad as possible
Yeah it did, didn't it? And he fell for it hook, line and sinker. Totally went the Australian 'we haven't seen Wagner for 4 years but surely he's still awesome and will bounce us all out' way.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah it did, didn't it? And he fell for it hook, line and sinker. Totally went the Australian 'we haven't seen Wagner for 4 years but surely he's still awesome and will bounce us all out' way.
Yeah its like they havent watch him bowl since down atleast 10k's and not entirely sure if he can bowl that short stuff for as long as he did in 2019. Although I did agree when they said the Hazelwood Green partnership wouldnt have happened had wagner played.

Socerer 01

International Captain
doesnt seem to be just him looking at reddit falling for the **** too

Moss

International Vice-Captain

I got the feeling Ross himself would have carried on for as long as he wanted to, though it was apparent soon after the WTC final that he well was past it (see: India tour 2021), and he’s probably a bit sore about it ending with those Bangladesh tests (and Netherlands ODIs). He’s coming from that perspective I suppose.

Add to that Guptill’s immature response on being dropped from the starting XI, it’s an unnecessary narrative. All of them are among the best to turn out for NZ, but if anything the selectors have been generous with how long they were willing to persist with them when they were clearly past their best.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

He’s gotten people talking which is more than half the battle

Flem274*

123/5
I think it's overblown tbh.

Taylor isn't stating anything we don't already know, but clearly the Aussie analysts were behind. Taylor just said it bluntly and now the kiwi media are acting all shocked like we don't all know Stead came out the other week saying it was a tough conversation.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wagner has had a great career but it’s pretty obvious that he’s been finished for a year or more & shouldn’t have been in the squad

Selectors should have had a word last year

Spark

Global Moderator

Taylor isn't stating anything we don't already know, but clearly the Aussie analysts were behind. Taylor just said it bluntly and now the kiwi media are acting all shocked like we don't all know Stead came out the other week saying it was a tough conversation.
I mean it isn't at all surprising that the NZ media isn't too happy about this and is making noise about it. It'd be one thing if everyone could trust that the NZ brains trust were selecting purely based on a cold-hearted, hard-heared cost-benefit analysis of cricketing facts without considering sentiment or anything else other than performance and quality... but they just aren't.

I personally really hate that kind of thinking - two wrongs don't make a right, and avoiding hypocrisy is no excuse for compounding an error further - but that's a really minority position.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He’s gotten people talking which is more than half the battle
Yeah, I feel like as a former international captain, you can aim to have more substance than being a talking point/someone who lights the blue touchpaper (see Vaughan.M)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

It is all really intriguing. My reaction is that how the hell could anyone force someone to retire? I don't think that happens ever, that a sporting coach tells a player they should retire. You don't need to - you just say we don't see you in our plans right now. That's not telling you to retire, you're welcome to go back to ND and find something. So the tough conversation, I truly don't think that was 'you should retire' - maybe it's 'we're not going to pick you and there are people ahead of you now'

But on that, they picked him in the squad for Wellington, so presumably they saw him in the best 2-3 options if injury hit. But then, all of a sudden, he's retiring, and he's not in the squad for Christchurch - even after O'Rourke got injured. What changed, or was the squad spot tokenistic?

The messaging out of this side and the feeling at the moment is a bit turd-like.