• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Can we agree on 'the moneybags 3', so it's clear what the 'big' element refers to.
There's only the big one, the other two's just piggybacking on multiple tours from/to India. The cricketing market worldwide probably wouldn't be even 20% of what it is without the big "one" - just talking about economics of course.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I wish the rest of the world would leave the 'Big One' to play its hit and giggle by itself, then maybe we could have international cricket back in its rightful place.

I wish.

Spark

Global Moderator
There's only the big one, the other two's just piggybacking on multiple tours from/to India. The cricketing market worldwide probably wouldn't be even 20% of what it is without the big "one" - just talking about economics of course.
Take this elsewhere please.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
then maybe we could have international cricket back in its rightful place.
Which is? The fact is IPL is the biggest show piece in cricket - I don't care about IPL & don't watch it. But simplifying the debate about cricket to reductionist BS like the big Pig 3 or it's all due to T20 is ignorant to say the least. Cricket is a commercial space & money will always flow to where the most demand is, to that end T20 is inevitable. But to reduce cricket's dependence on India we need the smaller/other nations' economies to grow strongly over the next few decades! I don't see it shifting in short term but medium/long term this is what the "ICC" should aim for like making cricket profitable/viable in smaller nations.

In the mean time how about ICC sponsor/subsidize the less profitable test tours? I mean they are already making millions through "WTC" why not actually put that money where it's needed the most? No need to pay the pig 3 or the big one.
Take this elsewhere please.
Oh zip it, you take offense to everything!

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Which is? The fact is IPL is the biggest show piece in cricket
I'm well aware of what the IPL is.

The one good thing about sport as a business is that anyone can withdraw their custom if they don't like it. That's what I'm doing, not that those running the game care. What's love got to do with it eh?

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
What's love got to do with it eh?
Not sure what you mean? Is that a question or just an observation into how cricket's doing these days?

For me the problem also lies with the players, some of them are just too busy exploiting their obscene power (brand value) in a market where they're clearly in demand. I don't follow club football at all but was it similar to the current state of cricket 20 years back i.e. too much money? And probably the biggest issue is casual fans IMO who just don't care about tests anymore!