• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm hoping Henry is fit and we see:

Henry
Wagner
O'Rourke
Southee

if he isn't I hope Santner plays instead of Henry. ABK.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Do we expect the Basin/Hagley to be seamer friendly? If so, I wouldn't have an issue per se with Wags - I'd tell him this could be your final Test, come off with nothing in the tank.

But if they're going to be dry, I can't see how we don't pick Santner. Phillips and Rachin ain't it to hold up a spin attack against Australia.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Also Charles Barkley: "listening to a woman is almost as bad as losing to one. there are only three things that women are better at than men: cleaning cooking and having ***"

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also Charles Barkley: Zero rings.

He was right and wrong about the role model thing. I'm a teacher, and I'm not supposed to be a role model, either...but I can be. And I am, because I choose to be. For some kids, I need to be - because they don't have one at home. It's a nice optimistic viewpoint to think parents will do all the things that parents should, but in my experience it's less than 50% - much less - that do.

So are sportspeople role models? It's not in their contract but in an ideal world they'd see that as something they aspire to be. I don't expect Scott to be thinking at 2am that he's a role model, but it's fair to assume he should be aware that kids look up to sportspeople and if he behaves like a C, that sends a message.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with Howsie on that one actually, sportspeople shouldn't be role models. However the sports orgs want them to be.
It's a public relations nightmare if they aren't. It's a hard product to sell if your employees are poorly behaved. I don't even think it's that they want them to be 'role models' - they just don't want them to do negative stuff that reflects badly on the organisation. How can you show support, for example, for the women's game then one of your senior men's players does that?

NZC are damn lucky that cricket reporters don't really exist anymore and if they do, they're very line and length ie only report on the game. A more proactive sports media, a more neutral sports media would've buried them after that whole fiasco, and he would have never played again - rightly in many eyes. If Scott had done it in the UK, I doubt he'd even have played county cricket. Joe Clarke and Tom Kohler-Cadmore got suspended for less.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I've said this a lot but as much as we ridiculed radiosport, they were great for the public to directly apply the blowtorch to sports administration. They would have hesson, white etc on the show and open the lines.

Most of it was boomer chat but sometimes it was great access for the public to put them on the spot.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Whether they want to be or not, they're going to be. Kids are going to idolise successful sportsmen and want to be like them in a sporting sense, that makes them role models whether we like it or not.
As with everything, the problem lies with capitalism imho

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I mean there’s being a role model and there’s going to trial for rape, I feel like these are quite different ends of a very long spectrum.

But agree with what those have said that players have a responsibility to behave in line with being a respected public figure.