• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Molehill

International Captain
Runs on the board always helps. Centuries were 2-0 or 3-0 dependent on how you look at things, decisive in a 100 run victory.
The English Top 7 got to double figures 12 out of 14 times, yet had only two 50's to show for it. Apart from the Bumrah spell when a couple got decent deliveries, too many wickets were given away.

Something for them to think about on the 4th tee in Abu Dhabi....

Chin Music

State 12th Man
The English Top 7 got to double figures 12 out of 14 times, yet had only two 50's to show for it. Apart from the Bumrah spell when a couple got decent deliveries, too many wickets were given away.

Root hasn't got to a PLF yet, when normally he get's a fair slew of them. Alastair Cook suggested that he's got too much into a 'Bazball' mindset, when his natural game is more than proficient to keep the scoreboard ticking. I've already mentioned that Crawley will be disappointed of his failure to convert first innings (on the PLF thread), when if he had done so, England might have had a more realistic chase for the 4th innings.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Why does Root feel he has to go Bazball when Stokes obviously hasn't changed his MO? I saw some discussion about his avg being better in the current climate but that's missing the forest for the trees. It could be even better; he's leaving obvious runs out there regularly and in situations like y'day very much to his team's detriment.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I think we were got out much more than India's bats were in the first dig. Some were given up today but that's inevitable chasing 400

Molehill

International Captain
I think we were got out much more than India's bats were in the first dig. Some were given up today but that's inevitable chasing 400
I think they could've recognised Bumrah was on one and just tried to see off his spell. Pope and Stokes got good ones, but Root and Bairstow could've left theirs alone.

Felt a bit as though they'd learnt from it today as Crawley saw off Bumrah's opening spell really sensibly.

Silver Silva

International Debutant

But surely that ties up with @Burgey 's comments that if you play a lot of shots you are going to end up gifting your wicket at times.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Felt this was one game that showed how good Stokes' captaincy was tbh. He got wickets out of nothing in the second dig purely by his captaincy and even in the first, he (and Baz and his other backroom staff) seemed to have read the wicket the best, with the second catcher often being a leg slip or a second slip, depending on the type of bowler (SLA meant second slip, offie meant leg slip). It was really awesome and he honestly kept them in the game far longer than they had any right to, without his captaincy.

India showed great spirit in coming back when so much was going against them, and when met with the force of Bazball which has shown it can blow away any team, they managed to retain the wits just about enough to win the game. And even then, it took an ATG bowling performance by Bumrah and a great innings by Jaiswal to even get there. India will face many more tough questions this series, I feel and Bazball will keep coming hard and making life difficult.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Felt this was one game that showed how good Stokes' captaincy was tbh. He got wickets out of nothing in the second dig purely by his captaincy and even in the first, he (and Baz and his other backroom staff) seemed to have read the wicket the best, with the second catcher often being a leg slip or a second slip, depending on the type of bowler (SLA meant second slip, offie meant leg slip). It was really awesome and he honestly kept them in the game far longer than they had any right to, without his captaincy.

India showed great spirit in coming back when so much was going against them, and when met with the force of Bazball which has shown it can blow away any team, they managed to retain the wits just about enough to win the game. And even then, it took an ATG bowling performance by Bumrah and a great innings by Jaiswal to even get there. India will face many more tough questions this series, I feel and Bazball will keep coming hard and making life difficult.
Tbh this was prolly the weakest XI India will field in this series.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Its probably the weakest 11 we have fielded since 2001 tbh. But England were great and think they would have been even against our best 11.
No. I don't think so.

Our best XI is too strong. Only SL have faced them at home sadly (in 2022).

Pant, Shami are such huge upgrades over their counterparts (especially at home). Plus Jadeja is two players in one.

Even first test they won just by 20 runs. Pant-Shami in place of Bharat-Siraj and we shade the test.

This one we won w/o Jadeja too.

Not even including Kohli, Rahul etc because the gap between them and their replacements is not as massive as the one between Shami-Pant-Jadeja and their replacements.

All three are multi dimensional players

Shami averages 22 with the ball in India so much superior to Mukesh/Siraj plus also not a complete bunny and can biff a few boundaries.

Pant averages 64 in India and is a WK ofc.

Jadeja is Jadeja.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
I love this line. Somebody sig it plz.
Jadeja at home (in Asia/WI too tbh) is ridiculously OP.

Axar's bowling isn't as good (especially in the last few years) while his batting has become really good.

Ashwin is a decent batsman but mostly good for the occasional 50.

Jadeja is the only one who can play as both a standalone batsman and bowler.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It’s one thing to be confident. But this Bazball nonsense it’s getting a little out of hand, Anderson saying yesteday they could chase 600, it’s just become comedy at the moment. I don’t see India losing another test in this series now the 1st test was overconfidence to blow a lead like that.
Except, y'know that's not what Anderson said at all.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Why does Root feel he has to go Bazball when Stokes obviously hasn't changed his MO? I saw some discussion about his avg being better in the current climate but that's missing the forest for the trees. It could be even better; he's leaving obvious runs out there regularly and in situations like y'day very much to his team's detriment.
I didn't see his innings but was his injury hampering him and he just thought he may as well score whatever runs he could whilst he was in pain? Root never needs to adjust his game. He can score at an 80 SR without really doing anything - that was always his strength. He wouldn't play any real shots but would somehow be 20 off 20 deliveries.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Read earlier that at the same stage of the two previous tours, Root had scored 167, & 297 runs. Here he has just 52. We need him to find some proper form, & cut out the headless stuff. Good match, enjoyed it. Best moment was probably Bumrah bowling Pope, you don’t see dismissals like that very often these days. Great innings by Jaiswal too. India have found another gem there. Rajkot, believe it turned when we last played there, but I’d bring in Robinson to open up with Anderson, Hartley & Rehan, plus Root as spinners. If Brook comes back then that’s a conundrum & there’s Lawrence as well. Middle order need to shape up. Was the four spinner selection too bold?

Reactions: FBU

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

“We’re going at five an over! I love this, it’s changing test cricket forever! Ramp shots, reverse sweeps from the get-go! It’s the future! The rest of the world is boring and in our creative shadow!”

Nek minnit…

“What the **** was that shot?!?? Can’t believe blokes are throwing their wickets away like this! It’s cost us the test match!”

Molehill

International Captain
Except, y'know that's not what Anderson said at all.
It's amusing how the haters pick lines out of interviews to suit their own standpoint.

At the moment, England's spinners have taken 33 wickets at 33.9 whilst India have 23 at 38.4. The difference really is Bumrah, if England can see him off more often than not (clearly easier said than done) then it would appear they can score runs against the others.

And this is why a little bit of common sense thrown into the Bazball madness can still make improvements on where we've got to.

But haters gonna hate no matter what.....