• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Bartlett's had a lot of injury problems so can see why he's being wrapped in cotton wool. Was a fair bit quicker pre-injury too.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I would have thought this was the perfect series for Australia to experiment, I'm really not sure what they learn from Josh Hazelwood bowling at this lot. Strange decision.

Beamer

Yeah, I doubt the West Indies have bowled out Australia even moderately cheaply in an ODI in Oz for a long time, possibly as far back as 92/93.

The West Indies gave been a poor ODI side for a long, long time away from home. Barely won an away series in the past 15 years outside of Ireland, UAE, Holland etc...
ODIs have consistently been our worst format IMHO. When we had Lara, Gayle, Shiv and Sarwan we had no bowlers and since they've all gone we've never established a brand of cricket to play in 50 over cricket. There have been some signs of that changing under Sammy, but this decimated squad simply isn't good enough to test even a weakened Australia.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
I would have thought this was the perfect series for Australia to experiment, I'm really not sure what they learn from Josh Hazelwood bowling at this lot. Strange decision.
Hazlewood is not in the XI. He's only in the squad for this Sydney game as cover in case something happens to one of the bowlers just before game (with Head out and Bartlett being managed there were only 11 players in squad)

With Spencer Johnson not joining the squad until the 3rd ODI it sounds like they needed a spare bowler who lived local (Starc and Cummins likely pulled the seniority card)

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah ODIs scheduling isn't what they used to be. The days of playing 30 games a year are done with more T20Is and franchise cricket taking up the calendar. If you're preparing for a Champions trophy or even a World Cup in 4 years time you still need to give your main players some game time. Can't remember the exact number but I think Australia are only actually playing a handful of ODIs over the next year and a bit or until the Champions trophy.

Not that it's stopped them in the past going into a tournament with players that haven't actually been playing in that format

Also, as always, what Qlder said is probably true as well. Wealth of knowledge and political savvy

Beamer

Hoping Alzarri comes in for Oshane and Teddy Bishop for Hayden Walsh. We don't need all those spinners, particularly not ones who run out batsmen as stupidly as Hayden did.

Spark

Global Moderator
So they're really committed to this "all out attack up front" idea huh. But that doesn't explain why Matt Short can't do it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So they're really committed to this "all out attack up front" idea huh. But that doesn't explain why Matt Short can't do it.
I think they want Short to actually get some experience batting lower down so he's a more useful squad option. It's not like he's proven himself as an opener though so it'd be good for his confidence at the level to allow him to have success where he's comfortable before trying to shoehorn him into a utility.