• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you could change one law/rule in Test cricket?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It could be anything with regards to Test cricket - not in terms of the international structure but the game itself. No ball rule? Reinstate the sub? Reviews?

I was thinking, with the Test thats going on now, if mandating the follow on might not be more interesting. I don't think I would quite support it, but I think it would lead to more exciting cricket.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In before someone makes the insane suggestion that we get rid of the law that states you can't be out LBW to a ball that pitches outside leg.

sunilz

International Regular
It could be anything with regards to Test cricket - not in terms of the international structure but the game itself. No ball rule? Reinstate the sub? Reviews?

I was thinking, with the Test thats going on now, if mandating the follow on might not be more interesting. I don't think I would quite support it, but I think it would lead to more exciting cricket.
Teams should be allowed to change their composition after Toss.

For example if you are batting 1st on a bowling friendly pitch , then you should be allowed to substitute a batsman for bowler or allrounder

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would personally favor getting rid of the coin toss and the visiting side always being able to choose whether to bat or bowl.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Teams should be allowed to change their composition after Toss.

For example if you are batting 1st on a bowling friendly pitch , then you should be allowed to substitute a batsman for bowler or allrounder
Yeah announce ur 12 before the toss but select the 11 after the toss. I will be onboard with this. Taking away toss itself seems too radical for a game that cant work out how to make up lost overs and when to shorten breaks.

Gob

International Coach
Addition - having the chance to double the score after 30 overs only if you are 3 down or less in ODIs

karan_fromthestands

State Captain

No field restrictions in test cricket, place the players wherever the hell you want and have a go at it. I feel we will see a different kind of evolution in batting styles and bowling tactics if this is done.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The LBW rule where a batter can't be given out if he's struck outside the line of off if he's attempting to play a shot.

Not only does it require the umpire to psychoanalise a batter's intention whilst also calculating the path of the ball, but we've all see the old "stretching forward with the bat tucked behind the pad in a not even quarterly-convincing facsimile of a forward defensive" fiction which umpires seem to be somehow fooled by everytime.

If the ball's going on to hit the stumps and it's hasn't pitched outside leg it shouldn't matter if a batter is attempting (or badly feigning an attempt) to play a shot.

Starfighter

but we've all see the old "stretching forward with the bat tucked behind the pad in a not even quarterly-convincing facsimile of a forward defensive" fiction which umpires seem to be somehow fooled by everytime.
I hate this one.

srbhkshk

International Captain
It's fine for situations like the current test, but it will absolutely destroy the bowlers in 500 play 300 kind of test.

Starfighter

The follow on was mandatory before 1900 and now is not. I can imagine there is a reason or that.