• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swimming Thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It should be worth noting, that if Michael Phelps were a country, he would be 4th on the medal tally 8|

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Impressed by Burmester, even if he didn't get the medal. Well done :)
Completely against his usual racing style too, so it was good of him to shake it up a bit. Great effort considering he was apparently a bit sick too - exceeded my expectations (although I doubt he was probably too worried about that..)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It should be worth noting, that if Michael Phelps were a country, he would be 4th on the medal tally 8|
Reminds me of the time I read that Baulkham Hills Shire would have finished fourth or something similar in the Commonwealth Games.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thrilled with Burmester's performance, swam the race of his life.

I hope we get a medal soon though...

Perm

Gutted I missed Burmester's race and that he missed out on a medal, but by all accounts he swam really well. Good on him, made NZ proud.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
SEQ with all of Australia's golds afaik. If you count Redcliffe as part of Brisbane then we'd be one of the most successful cities in the games.

Craig

World Traveller
Reminds me of the time I read that Baulkham Hills Shire would have finished fourth or something similar in the Commonwealth Games.
SEQ with all of Australia's golds afaik. If you count Redcliffe as part of Brisbane then we'd be one of the most successful cities in the games.
Back in 2004 the Gold Coast itself had a fair few athletes that won plenty of medals, Grant Hackett being one of them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The US destroyed everyone in the 4x200 free. That was the most dominant race of all time, that I've seen. You guys need to learn how to swim. :p

Winning by four seconds...that's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Johnners

The US destroyed everyone in the 4x200 free. That was the most dominant race of all time, that I've seen. You guys need to learn how to swim. :p

Helps when you've got 1 bloke who's already 3/4 seconds faster than anyone else. Take Phelps out of that relay and you've got a real fight on your hands. Was an amazing performance all the same.

Johnners

Just so you know, Australia kicked USA's collective arse by a greater margin in that event at the Sydney Olympics. Margin was greater than 5.5 seconds iirc.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Just so you know, Australia kicked USA's collective arse by a greater margin in that event at the Sydney Olympics. Margin was greater than 5.5 seconds iirc.
Yeah, long races in swimming tend to have ridiculous margins. Seem to remember Hackett winning a world/olympic 1500 by the length of the pool.

Johnners

Yeah, I think that was in the race he smashed the WR. Just wanted to prove a point to SS though, that Australia has won that race by a greater margin :p

Son Of Coco

Jeez it's annoying when the Americans win anything :happy:

Given you have a population 14 times bigger than ours we do alright. :sleep:

Michael Klim was talking on 7 this morning and said that Gary Hall Jr is 'more likeable' than Phelps. Apparently Hall isn't a bad bloke.

Johnners

Nah, don't buy that one, and won't until i see Phelps strutting out like a boxer etc.

Son Of Coco

Nah, don't buy that one, and won't until i see Phelps strutting out like a boxer etc.
I thought he did a decent job when they won the 4 x 100, but then again if it was Australia I wouldn't have noticed :happy:

It's quite possible the loud showman is a nicer person than the quiet bloke though. The same thing happens in the street. I'd imagine Klim would be in a good position to know, although I don't know how much he would have come into contact with Phelps recently.