• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-Season

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Jamee999 said:
I seem better on this than on CWXI, but that's hardly a challenge :p

GO SCORPIONS!!! (We need a colour)
Scorpions are Blue and green, Crusaders are Purple and yellow.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn it, we lost. This series is interesting as this is the only times the two CW teams will actually get to play each other.

On the actual match, it looks like we tried but they were just too good on the day. Hopefully we improve as time goes on. Personally, happy to get a go in the starting side. I played a solid 70 minutes and scored our only try :D

GO THE SCORPIONS!!!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloody Shayne Hayne was the ref i bet.... I dont think ive seen him ref a game where the penalty count is even...

Bad luck guys, lets lift for the season proper...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Blewy said:
Bloody Shayne Hayne was the ref i bet.... I dont think ive seen him ref a game where the penalty count is even...

Bad luck guys, lets lift for the season proper...
Or Sean Hampstead. Whenever he refs the players always get frustrated so he blows more penalties which results in the players getting even more frustrated :p Anyway, not the place to bag refs :)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
**** guys sorry about the whole Scorpions/Crusaders things but in my defense it was 7:28 am, and I don't make much sense at the best of times :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Stevo Slams CW

Sky pundit Mike Stephenson told the world after the first ever CW derby that he "wouldn't be surprised if both teams finished bottom of their leagues."

"We've just seen a very poor game of Rugby League," said the ex-Great Britain Hooker "both sides looked average in attack, with far too many handling errors. Infact, I only got to use my catchphrase 'T-R-Y time!!!!' twice in the whole game. On top of that there was no discipline at all. 30 penalties in the game is a disgrace, never mind a whole 6 of them being for fighting. People say it's good to see them fired up for a derby game, but that was ridiculous.
"If they play like that against top quality opposition, they'll get slaughtered. I expect both teams to struggle and wouldn't be at all surprised if they finished bottom of the NRL and Superleague."

It is widely believed that Sky has no interest in the CW teams and is only covering the tournament because of their very own Phil Clarke's participation.

Stevo's fellow Sky Sports presenter, Warrington fan Eddie Hemmings, added "There's a difference between playing fair and playing dirty and a difference between playing dirty and playing the Yorkshire way. Both teams just crossed both lines." At which point Stevo punched him in the arm and Eddie changed his statement to "Southern."

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
a match won by virtue of kicking seems suspiciously like a yawnian match to me, are you sure you're not using Super12sim Sean?

The ref was appalling i'm hoping for a better standard of refereeing in future.

We'll be back Scorpions

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Injury Update

27:29 CW Scorpions: 5 tackles, 48 metres gained
Good forward play by CW Scorpions
Short kick by CW Scorpions
Ball taken by CW Crusaders

Andrew Garven suffers moderate injury.
INTERCHANGE: Chris Butler ON - Andrew Garven OFF
Andrew Garven will miss 1 match (vs. JLI XIII on the 14th October)

48:17 CW Crusaders: 4 tackles, 0 metres gained
Bad defence by CW Scorpions
CW Crusaders is attacking the line
Great defence by CW Scorpions
Rich Langley knocks-on
Ball turned over to CW Scorpions

Håkon Mørk suffers minor injury.
Håkon Mørk will miss the game vs. JLI XIII on 12th October

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
steds said:
Andrew Garven will miss 1 match (vs. JLI XIII on the 14th October)

Håkon Mørk will miss the game vs. JLI XIII on 12th October
What about myself? I thought I was injured just before the end of the first half.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Brave Crusaders Go Down Fighting

Code:
CW Crusaders                    Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII
        1  Neil Pickup                  1  Shaun Briscoe
        2  Xavier Rose                  2  Darren Albert
        3  Alex Blackman                3  Jamie Lyon (C)
        4  Andrew Cameron               4  Brent Tate
        5  Gaurav Nayak                 5  Nathan Blacklock
        6  Jamee Gray                   6  Trent Barrett
        7  Alex Crampton                7  Chris Thorman
        8  Sean Bennett                 8  Danny Ward
        9  Sriram Gurunathan            9  Micky Higham
        10  Rich Langley                10  FuiFui MoiMoi
        11  Dale Brumby (C)             11  Ben Kennedy
        12  Thamba Mamesh               12  Vinnie Anderson
        13  Tharmi Longanathan          13  Braith Anasta
   ++Interchange
        14  Jack McNamara               14  Tommy Martyn
        15  Rich Hingston               15  Frank Puletua
        16  Nath Patrick                16  Mark Gleeson
        17  Nick Borcich                17  Phil Clarke
The Crusaders came into this game with 1 win from 1 and some confidence to build on, but also an average performance to improve upon. Lining up against them was an experienced and strong side led by the mercurial Jamie Lyon.
The Crusasders immediately felt what they were up against when, straight from the kick off, quick hands and inexperienced defending allowed the Invitational XIII to reach 32 metres from their own goal line for the first tackle and then glide over halfway, cutting the CW defence like a knife through butter. The Crusaders were only saved by Cameron managing to catch and hit his opposite number, Lyon, with enough force to knock the ball from the reigning Man Of Steel's grasp.
The Crusaders soon regained composure and hard working runs from the forwards, particularly the French duo Mamesh and Loganathan, and solid defence with Gray and Thorman exchanging kicks ensured the deadlock lasted 8 minutes, when whistle-happy Steve Ganson blew the Crusaders for offside. Jamie Lyon took the 2 and easily slotted the goal to give the Invitational's the lead.
The Crusaders replied exactly the right fashion, hunting the Invitational's down right from the restart, and with Thorman shaping to kick on the last, Crampton and captain Brumby shot out of the line and munched him to get the turnover. However, the CW team were unable to capitalise and Gray settled for a dab over the top which was easily collected by Blacklock. Then came some dazzling rugby, starting with Hull's Shaun Briscoe bursting through the defence before knocking on under pressure from fullback Pickup. From the next set, Cameron made Lyon look like a fool, used Nayak on the outside to throw Albert a dummy and offloaded to Hingston when Briscoe stopped him just short of the line. The South African union convert then put in a crossfield kick into the in-goal where Blackman met it leaping above Blacklock and Tate, but was adjudged by the Video Referee not to have grounded the ball properly. Six minutes later came the real action, when violence broke out and Nick Borcich broke Frank Puletua's jaw with a big right hook.
On 20 minutes, the video ref denied Blacklock a try, Rose's athletic tackle forcing him onto the corner flag was to thank, as the Invitational's turned up the pressure and on 23 minutes Jamie Lyon forced his way over in the corner but failed to convert. Just a minute later, he got another chance to get the 2 points when CW were caught offside. Luckily for CW he failed again. Yet minutes later, CW's line was threatened again, but Jamie Lyon knocked on, then two tackes into the Crusaders' first set in 5 Jamee Gray was dragged into touch by Tate and Clarke, and in the resulting set Puletua, broken jaw and all, scored his first try to give the JLI XIII a 10-0 lead.
A ray of hope for the Crusaders came just before half time, when Jamie Lyon was sin binned for a high shot on Patrick, and just after half time, Rose engineered himself some space on the wing and went over for the Crusaders' first points. Cool as you like, Gray slotted the convertion from the touchline and CW were back in it at 10-6.
However, in the 52nd minute St Helens legend Tommy Martyn showed he still had it when he capitalised on Mark "younger and less talented brother of Martin" Gleeson's scoot from dummy half to give JLI a 10 point lead again. Frank Puletua grabbed his second 5 minutes later and it was all over for the Crusaders, who never gave up trying and were denied a late consilation by the video ref when he decided captain Brumby had knocked on in-goal.
The Crusaders were not short of effort, but were outplayed by a classy outfit.

CW Crusaders 6 Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII 22

CW Crusaders
Tries: Xavier Rose Goals: Jamee Gray 1 ( 1 )

Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII
Tries: Tommy Martyn, Jamie Lyon, Frank Puletua x 2 Goals: Chris Thorman 2 ( 2 ), Jamie Lyon 1 ( 4 )

Player of the Match Awards
3 points : Vinnie Anderson (Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII)
2 points : Brent Tate (Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII)
1 point : Tommy Martyn (Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII)