• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia v New Zealand - Final

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I just googled it - you are right

Double hit
This is another dismissal you rarely see in cricket.

But a batter can be given out hitting the ball twice if the second strike is deliberate.

The only exception that allows a batsman to hit the ball on a second occasion is if they are protecting their wicket (ie: stopping the ball from rolling back on to the stumps).
Inzi was given out for deliberately stopping a direct throw against an Indian fielder i believe......don't know if that would constitute as an out or not......???

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Inzi was given out for deliberately stopping a direct throw against an Indian fielder i believe......don't know if that would constitute as an out or not......???
That was obstructing the field though, I think, rather than handled the ball.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was obstructing the field though, I think, rather than handled the ball.
Sourav Ganguly did it in the IPL this year- a fielder's throw was heading towards the stumps (though probably just missing) and he held out a hand and stopped it. Gilchrist (quite rightly) appealed and the umpire gave it not out.

Joke was firmly on Ganguly though, he got horrendously bogged down and cost his side the game. Then when he finally got out David Hussey came in next and overtook his score in the space of about ten deliveries.

Personally I don't think batsmen should be allowed to stop the ball rolling onto their stumps, and I'd like to see a crackdown on running across the line of the fielder's throw too. If that's not obstructing the field then what is?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The way it's turned out, it looks like a master-stroke to keep Hussey back behind White. He's looking like he's come in totally unflustered to finish things off.

Dissector

International Debutant
It's looking like an easy and well-deserved win for Australia but this is one of those games which could been gone in a completely different direction. With a bit of luck NZ could have easily had 3-4 wickets in the first 12 overs and if further Vettori had been fit it would have been a completely different game. Overall NZ can be very proud of the way they have played in the tournament.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopes in ahead of the injured Ferguson. Just shows even more how important the Watson/White partnership was.

I still think NZ have a little chance if they can get Watto in the next few minutes.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Watto is the key here..........after this one 10 overs left..........with 41 to get and a PP available so....i think Aussies are well settled for now...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie 4 wickets down - at least we made them break a sweat for the win.

It is like we had 2 1/2 good bowlers for this game. Counting butler as 1/2. With Vettori we would have been infinitely better off.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if Hopes would get picked for NZ if he we was a kiwi. He is a busy cricketer. But isn't as good as the rest of the Aussie team. He would compete with Franklin and Oram for the number 7 spot in the line up.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I liked the way Chapelli (I think it was) put it when they were discussing Hopes the other day. He seems to do something for you each match, whether it's a good catch or a good spell of bowling or a handy innings.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The commentators seem to be obsessed over how much Watson wants his century, but I don't think Watto gives a damn as long as he's there at the end cause he hasn't gone for glory shots at all.