• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Flem274*

123/5
Cricinfo preparing for an SA choke judging by the preview, though they still managed to roll out all the old NZ cliches.

"Their opponents don't possess the unorthodox and unique talents of the Sri Lankans but New Zealand make up for that with discipline, doggedness and sheer hard work."

"New Zealand are a team without stars and rely on collective contribution from their batsmen to achieve a challenging total."

Sorry to sound like a kiwi with a chip on his shoulder banging on and on, but when they write a preview on us can they at least not copy and paste from every single other preview they've written on us before? Its like they need to buff up their word count or something. :p

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo preparing for an SA choke judging by the preview, though they still managed to roll out all the old NZ cliches.

"Their opponents don't possess the unorthodox and unique talents of the Sri Lankans but New Zealand make up for that with discipline, doggedness and sheer hard work."

"New Zealand are a team without stars and rely on collective contribution from their batsmen to achieve a challenging total."
Found that hilarious too! A laughably bad article - who could accuse Guptill and McCullum of discipline and doggedness? :laugh:

To borrow from a comedy show which I've forgotten the name of:
Binoy George started writing his article. After a few words a helpful Paperclip icon appeared in the corner of the screen with a message "you look like you are writing an article about New Zealand cricket". "Would you like me to write the article for you?" So of course Binoy clicked yes and entered a few names and dates and pressed ok. Hey presto! An article appeared with random sprinklings of phrases like 'dark horses', 'more than the sum of their parts' and 'their more fashionable opposition shouldn't take NZ lightly'.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Binoy George started writing his article. After a few words a helpful Paperclip icon appeared in the corner of the screen with a message "you look like you are writing an article about New Zealand cricket". "Would you like me to write the article for you?" So of course Binoy clicked yes and entered a few names and dates and pressed ok. Hey presto! An article appeared with random sprinklings of phrases like 'dark horses', 'more than the sum of their parts' and 'their more fashionable opposition shouldn't take NZ lightly'.
Brilliant :laugh:

Days of Grace

International Captain
If NZ were thinking clearly they would send McCullum back down to no.6/no.7 to make up for the lack of power hitting in the death overs from Oram's absense. Now is as good an excuse as any.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
If NZ were thinking clearly they would send McCullum back down to no.6/no.7 to make up for the lack of power hitting in the death overs from Oram's absense. Now is as good an excuse as any.
Yeah you are right.. Its the right time

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Found that hilarious too! A laughably bad article - who could accuse Guptill and McCullum of discipline and doggedness? :laugh:

excellent!

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't agree that AUS are patchy right now. Tim Paine is sort of a weak link, but his slow scoring can me masked by the strengh of AUS middle & lower-order. Clarke looked better in the later half of the ODI series in ENG so no worries there. No issue with Bracken, Siddle may play ahed of him given how the Jo'Burg wicket look today - which makes AUS pace attack the most lethal in this tournament.
I am not buying in to that argument, when Pakistan has Aamir, Gul and Naved. All have pace, swing movement and bounce. Fit and firing Asif was available, it would have unquestionably the best pace attack in the tournament.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding the decision of who to play tonight. I am in favour of playing Diremanti as well. I think he scored 25 runs in an ODI that got washed out. Patel's batting exploits centre around good running between the wickets from the non strikers end. In one game he had the presence of mind, with NZ needing 1 run to win of the last ball, to take off his pads box and helmet so that he could run down the wicket as fast as he could. While this great skill at running between the wickets is not to be sneezed at I will take the 25 runs any day of the week.

If Diamanti bowls poorly we have Elliot and Ryder to back him up.

DingDong

State Captain
Regarding the decision of who to play tonight. I am in favour of playing Diremanti as well. I think he scored 25 runs in an ODI that got washed out. Patel's batting exploits centre around good running between the wickets from the non strikers end. In one game he had the presence of mind, with NZ needing 1 run to win of the last ball, to take off his pads box and helmet so that he could run down the wicket as fast as he could. While this great skill at running between the wickets is not to be sneezed at I will take the 25 runs any day of the week.

Playing Patel would guarantee at least 3 wickets for the Kiwis. I'd take those 3 wickets over 25 runs any day.

trapol

U19 12th Man
makes it a more than laughable situation whereby NZ dont have a back up batsman. They are in effect playing this game tonight with only 5 batsman plus B Mac. What a joke?

Why was no back up taken? Now NZ will have to play with a huge tail. I include Vettori in that Tail as his ODI batting isnt as polished as his Test batting

We are farked

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's a risk, there's no doubt - to make up 10 overs between Elliott, Ryder and Diamanti and not allow any of the four main bowlers to have an off day. While I'm not a fan of Patel's bowling in ODIs it's a better bet than Diamanti's. But obviously leaves our batting hugely vulnerable. We're going to be relying on that mercurial* top 4 to all come good tonight.

Like Trapol says, this really shows up our lack of replacements. I'm half afraid they'll even go so far as to play Hopkins.

* Sorry, borrowed that word from the template for describing Pakistan's performances.

trapol

U19 12th Man
I say we have to play Hopkins. No question. Bats 7, Vettori/Mills/(Tuffey or Patel)/Bond. Elliott and Ryder make up the other 10 overs.

I believe we have no choice otherwise our batting is paper thin.

Hopkins can play, his numbers are exceptional (if Polo can keep claiming Brooms domestic numbers maybe he should check out Hopkins last couple of seasons)

we still have to find balance from this team

Raghav

Bracken Out of the competition
Yuvraj out of the competition
Gibbs injured
Younis injured

I get a feeling that.......

Everything is being set for NZ winning this tournament

Raghav

Vettori at the toss:

Vettori: "We would have batted first after seeing the game the other day. We know as a batting unit, we have to put up a good score so that our bowlers can defend. The guys need to bat with no fear and also get the job done. We wanted to play two spinners but when we lost a quality allrounder in Oram it became difficult. "

Hopkins in...

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
New Zealand are due for a good one, we cant keep playing bad can we??? Hopefully we will end up playing two spinners.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hopefully Parnell does better and South Africa put up a good show. Looking forward to the game.

Meridio

International Regular
There's something about seeing Hopkins in the team that makes me think we're going to get thrashed.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Holy ****, we are playing Hopkins as a second keeper. I can't believe it... he averages what, 3 with the bat?? WTF.

Also, I didn't realise this match was starting this early - awesome.

Batting first I see. As our entire batting performance is on the top 4, we should know whether we have a chance in this match fairly shortly.