• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which makes it sound a lot like the Elliott / Collingwood affair, when Elliott changed direction in order to collide with the bowler, and would have been run out by miles either way.
Particularly English memory you got there :p

Dissector

International Debutant
So what would be a par score on this pitch? Whatever it is Sri Lanka are a lot closer to it than they ought to be considering they were 17 for 4 with the cream of their batting back in the pavillion.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Not really convinced by all these comparisons between Mendis and Kumble that keep being rolled out by the commentary team. Mendis bowls with a bit more flight and a generally fuller length. I'd certainly be happier cutting Kumble then Mendis.

Uppercut

Not really convinced by all these comparisons between Mendis and Kumble that keep being rolled out by the commentary team. Mendis bowls with a bit more flight and a generally fuller length. I'd certainly be happier cutting Kumble then Mendis.
Bit more flight? Not sure tbh. Mendis bowls very flat.

Jungle Jumbo

Bit more flight? Not sure tbh. Mendis bowls very flat.
Mmm, might just be the very front on action, but I get the impression that it goes up and down very quickly (quick through the air but not necessarily flat) rather than Kumble's bouncy, shorter stuff.

Uppercut

Ah. I can't remember the Colly incident that well, but I do remember siding with the Kiwis at the time.

Zinzan

Hope England really take on the new ball & are ahead of the game early so they can afford to milk Murali & Mendis

Last edited:

Uppercut

Mmm, might just be the very front on action, but I get the impression that it goes up and down very quickly (quick through the air but not necessarily flat) rather than Kumble's bouncy, shorter stuff.
Sometimes. What I love about Mendis is that he uses the flighted delivery as a variation in its own right. Someone like Warne would vary their flight from ball to ball then set the batsman up for a slider or flipper. Mendis does the opposite, changing his mode of delivery from ball to ball while using the flighted delivery as a variation. Can't think of another bowler who uses flight quite the way Mendis does.

Faisal1985

It wasn't the bowlers fault......Mathews should have walked as he was the one who failed to aviod collision.....bowler was just approaching the stumps for a run out.....

But a very nice gesture from Strauss........i am not really sure if Strauss was acting on instinct or really thought it out before calling back Mathews .......

All in all i give the game to SL...........England are not going to be able to chase this one...

Zinzan

Kula's probably going to be a nightmare here tbh.
Could be suited to the wicket but still reckon it's better percentages to attack him & Matthews rather than the other 3 Ms. England don't need to be reckless either, just be positive & aim to be scoring at 5s in the first 15 overs then sit on M & M.

I make it sound easy :p

Uppercut

Yep. Kula's a master when the ball swings and seams. There's a regular criticism of him that he can become easy to get after when it doesn't, but there's no doubt he's lethal when it does.