• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 Ranking of batsmen poll

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden has been screwed a bit. Not much between him and G Smith or Sehwag and he's arguably better than both.
Yeah… seeing 5 batsmen between him and Sehwag just looks completely off to me, I always have had them right next to each other.

On a sad note (for me) with a highest possible ranking of 46 (if he gets voted in this round) Bob Simpson will win the sad award for most positions lost since 2022 I believe.

Was ranked 32nd in 2022 so 14+ spots lost and now behind Smith Greenidge Sehwag and Hayden in terms of openers.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Another thing to watch - Amla is a fresh entry on the list - which of the remaining batsman from the 2022 list will miss out?

Simpson?
Chanderpaul?
Inzamam?
McCabe?
Hill?
Clarke?

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Another thing to watch - Amla is a fresh entry on the list - which of the remaining batsman from the 2022 list will miss out?

Simpson?
Chanderpaul?
Inzamam?
McCabe?
Hill?
Clarke?
McCabe haven't received a single vote till now, and imo; is not making the cut. The other one is trickier, though my choice would had been Clarke; who is below Pietersen and Laxman for me. Simpson should had gotten a rank above Hayden and Sehwag.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Comparing the 2022 poll with this one, the most alarming changes have been among the openers. In the Top 10, Hobbs and Hutton both slipped back a bit but it's after Gavaskar and Sutcliffe that things get interesting. Graeme Smith climbs 7 spots, jumping ahead of Boycott, Trumper and Simpson. This trio dropped a combined 25 places. Greenidge also climbed 7 spots to pass Trumper, Sehwag and Hayden in the process. Previously Sehwag and Haydn were ranked one after the other, but now there is a significant gap between them. Simpson had the biggest fall from grace with Smith, Greenidge, Sehwag and Hayden all previously ranked below him but now above him. Did the 2022 poll get it very wrong, or has this poll over-compensated?

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Comparing the 2022 poll with this one, the most alarming changes have been among the openers. In the Top 10, Hobbs and Hutton both slipped back a bit but it's after Gavaskar and Sutcliffe that things get interesting. Graeme Smith climbs 7 spots, jumping ahead of Boycott, Trumper and Simpson. This trio dropped a combined 25 places. Greenidge also climbed 7 spots to pass Trumper, Sehwag and Hayden in the process. Previously Sehwag and Haydn were ranked one after the other, but now there is a significant gap between them. Simpson had the biggest fall from grace with Smith, Greenidge, Sehwag and Hayden all previously ranked below him but now above him. Did the 2022 poll get it very wrong, or has this poll over-compensated?
Hutton actually rose significantly in this poll, over the likes of Viv, Lara and Smith. I think Simpson was a little overrated there, but no ways there are 18 batsmen between him and Smith. What I understood is that CW as a collective is quite fickle minded regarding the 2nd tier of Test openers.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Hutton actually rose significantly in this poll, over the likes of Viv, Lara and Smith. I think Simpson was a little overrated there, but no ways there are 18 batsmen between him and Smith. What I understood is that CW as a collective is quite fickle minded regarding the 2nd tier of Test openers.
Agreed. There doesn’t seem to be a general consensus on openers after Gavaskar, with multiple names often thrown around; Trumper, Simpson, Boycott, Greenidge, Hayden, Sehwag, Smith.

One reason Barry Richards’ name is brought up far too much is likely as a result of this lack of consensus, and there being such a clear gap for most people between the top 4 and the rest.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed. There doesn’t seem to be a general consensus on openers after Gavaskar, with multiple names often thrown around; Trumper, Simpson, Boycott, Greenidge, Hayden, Sehwag, Smith.
I've been particularly surprised by the votes for Bruce Mitchell. He seems to be highly rated in this poll. I thought he'd be behind the likes of Morris and Lawry, and on about the Cook/Gooch/Hanif level.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I've been particularly surprised by the votes for Bruce Mitchell. He seems to be highly rated in this poll. I thought he'd be behind the likes of Morris and Lawry, and on about the Cook/Gooch level.
He is a bit similar to Simpson re: having a much better record as an opener. He struggled against Australia (even though he did not play in Grimmett’s 36/37 series - in fact, his last 15 tests were all against England) but was very strong against England (and New Zealand). He’s the only one amongst the next group of openers who averages 45+ home and away (48 and 49).

capt_Luffy

International Regular
He is a bit similar to Simpson re: having a much better record as an opener. He struggled against Australia (even though he did not play in Grimmett’s 36/37 series - in fact, his last 15 tests were all against England) but was very strong against England (and New Zealand). He’s the only one amongst the next group of openers who averages 45+ home and away (48 and 49).
He played in that series; in fact all 5 matches and scored 251 @31; and that was the only time he played Aussies at home. He, according to Cricinfo, never missed a Test between his debut in 1929 and retirement in 1949.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Wouldn't say fickle, but it is quite middled.

Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, Sutcliffe then it goes to hell.

Smith, Greenidge are next for me, probably Hayden, Simpson, Boycott following in a group?

It's really subjective. Smith being a leftie, playing in the toughest of home conditions, while scoring at a quicker clip gives him an edge for me.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

One reason Barry Richards’ name is brought up far too much is likely as a result of this lack of consensus, and there being such a clear gap for most people between the top 4 and the rest.
If you know this, why create such a fuss each and every time.