• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 Ranking of batsmen poll

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
As did others evidently judging by his fall. Another to drop on his 2022 rankings was Worrell yet the other two Ws either rose a little or maintained their place.

Voting numbers have dropped from their peak (around 30) to below 20 and there are still worthy contenders for the final places. Lack of interest/knowledge of lower ranked players may be a factor but I'm sure most participating members have a fair grasp of where they see the remaining candidates placed.
It's easier to find the top 50 batsmen than the top 50 bowlers due to the broader base, so lack of knowledge shouldn't be a major factor in this poll compared to the previous one.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Trumper > Ponting for you?
As a Test batsman only; No. He neither has the longevity nor the performances, so Ponting quite easily there. As an overall batsman, he is only after the Don, Smith and Chappell for me among the Aussies (and the latter is very close; though he is also very close with Border, and quite close with Waugh and Ponting).

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Mixed fortunes for regarding changes in ranking from 2022 for Kanhai and May. Back then Kanhai was ranked 33 and May crept in at 46. Now they are ranked 41 and 40. Which is the more accurate grading? I think this one might be, simply because I rate them fairly close.

ma1978

State Captain
Interesting to see a vote for Hazare. I think he deserves a mention, as I don’t see daylight between him and Nourse.

that also said, think I rate Laxman higher amongst Indian bats

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Mixed fortunes for regarding changes in ranking from 2022 for Kanhai and May. Back then Kanhai was ranked 33 and May crept in at 46. Now they are ranked 41 and 40. Which is the more accurate grading? I think this one might be, simply because I rate them fairly close.
I rate Kanhai a little ahead of May, but 13 places sounds excessive.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
May and Amla have similar averages to Pietersen but KP's figures are boosted by performances against Bangladesh and a weak West Indies side.

As for Trumper, it's difficult to compare players from vastly different eras - though @capt_Luffy has a good try.
In all honesty, my efforts were kinda wasted. @peterhrt made a much better case for Trumper than what I made. Also sad that Hill is not in till now.