• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Descending Strike Rates Draft

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Imam ul Haq
Rachin Ravindra
Cameron Green
Shreyas Iyer
Haris Sohail
Shaun Pollock
Shadab Khan
Rod Marsh
Brad Hogg
Dennis Lillee
Curtly Ambrose

No big names in my batting line-up though two, Imam ul Haq and Shreyas Iyer, are in the current top 20 listings. Ravindra and Green are relative newcomers but their inexperience is balanced by a stronger lower batting order.
Ambrose, Lillee and Pollock provide a potent pace attach supported by spinners Hogg and Shadab Khan. Green and Ravindra can bowl a few overs if required.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Brian McMillan 73.32
Anil Kumble 61.06

1. Virender Sehwag 7
2. Aaron Finch
3. Ricky Ponting [c]
4. Damien Martyn
5. Mohammad Rizwan +
6. Ben Stokes 6
7. Ian Botham 3
8. Brian McMillan 5
9. Anil Kumble 4
10. Zaheer Khan 2
11. Lasith Malinga 1

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I actually really like that team. Think it balances really well.
Thanks mate. Feels a little unnatural having Watson batting out of his most successful batting position but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. Just couldn't pass up jumping from Abbas(84) to Anwar(80).

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Thanks mate. Feels a little unnatural having Watson batting out of his most successful batting position but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. Just couldn't pass up jumping from Abbas(84) to Anwar(80).
Ofcourse you can't pass on both of them......

anil1405

International Captain
Then fix it. Faf and Twose wayyyy better options for no.4. Watson will slot in well at no 6.

After your first 9 picks I was so looking forward to see how your team will shape up. This is just my personal opinion but I am slightly disappointed. Akhtar probably similar to Bond with a bit more experience in this format. Bracken is a very good bowler who will look amazing with an ATG bowler around him.

I'm not sure who all were available but a Donald would have elevated the quality of your side to another level. Still a great team that you've put up with a good chance of winning.

mr_mister

Then fix it. Faf and Twose wayyyy better options for no.4. Watson will slot in well at no 6.

After your first 9 picks I was so looking forward to see how your team will shape up. This is just my personal opinion but I am slightly disappointed. Akhtar probably similar to Bond with a bit more experience in this format. Bracken is a very good bowler who will look amazing with an ATG bowler around him.

I'm not sure who all were available but a Donald would have elevated the quality of your side to another level. Still a great team that you've put up with a good chance of winning.
I think it was the most optimal use of my last 2 picks. If I had gone for Ambrose/Donald instead of Shoaib (who were both available before Shoaib but taken by my Bracken pick) my last bowler would have been someone nowhere near Brackens calibre, looking at the remaining options.

It felt like either having 2 ATVGs or 1 ATG and 1 passenger and I chose the former

anil1405

International Captain
I think it was the most optimal use of my last 2 picks. If I had gone for Ambrose/Donald instead of Shoaib (who were both available before Shoaib but taken by my Bracken pick) my last bowler would have been someone nowhere near Brackens calibre, looking at the remaining options.

It felt like either having 2 ATVGs or 1 ATG and 1 passenger and I chose the former
There are truckloads of "good" bowlers in this format who will complement Ambrose and Bond well for that 3rd seamers spot. Plus you have Watson who is a very good fifth bowler.

I don't want to take names of bowlers who are yet to be picked but you could've got someone of the calibre of Zaheer khan as a third seamer.

Ambrose + Bond + Zaheer (his level)

Bracken + Bond + Akhtar (Imo, this combo lacks ATG standard who will often step up when it matters the most)

It comes down to personal opinions and preferences but just sharing my opinion here. The overall team is still amazing.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Johnson (70.28) to open the batting and perhaps the bowling.

Team so far - will have 7 very good bowling options :

Neil Johnson (1)
Jason Roy
Jacques Kallis (6)
Ross Taylor
Andrew Symonds (7)
Jos Buttler (wk)
Mike Hussey
Muttiah Muralitharan (4)

Last edited:

mr_mister

Regarding Donald, his S/R is 34 so he's definitely a final pick only option

Below Ambrose's strike rate there's a few decent options but I'd be 7th/8th in line to take a shot at them if Ambrose had been my second last pick(maybe some would have gone for batsmen below that number but I can't be sure of how many)

I hear what you're saying but trust me I thought about it quite a bit

Pothas

Below Ambrose's strike rate there's a few decent options but I'd be 7th/8th in line to take a shot at them if Ambrose had been my second last pick(maybe some would have gone for batsmen below that number but I can't be sure of how many)

Yeah I really wanted one of Donald or Saqlain to finish the side so was definitely worth getting Harper to allow that. Especially as he was my 6th bowler so basically an extra player. Great fielder as well of course.

kingkallis

International Coach

Donald > Ambrose in ODIs, imho!