• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Kane Williamson to his full credit has got to be one of the most reliable batsmen of the modern era at capitalising when a hundred is there for the taking. Said last year, has the Kallis/Gavaskar gene in that respect.

And physical attributes play a smaller role in his game than the other Fab 4 players, so it's no surprise he responds well to injury.

He doesn't just not miss out too. He never looks like missing out. Some players with a similar knack constantly look like you can get them. With Kane, you feel miles away.

Last edited:

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Players to Score 30+ Test Hubdreds in Career

*Total Career Innings in brackets*

**Still playing

Tendulkar - 51 (329)
Kallis - 45 (280)
Ponting - 41 (287)
Sangakkara - 38 (233)
Dravid - 36 (286)
Gavaskar - 34 (214)
Jayawardene - 34 (252)
Y. Khan - 34 (213)
Lara - 34 (232)
Cook - 33 (291)
S. Smith - 32 (191)**
S. Waugh - 32 (260)
Chanderpaul - 30 (280)
Hayden - 30 (184)
Root - 30 (250)**
Williamson - 30 (169)**

Kane Williamson becomes the 16th man to score 30 Test hundreds.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I wonder how many SA cricket fans got up early to watch this test.

I can't imagine there would be much enthusiasm there for this test series watching a second or third string SA test line up getting flogged.
Most who watched probably watched a bit after the Bafana AFCON quarter before going to sleep.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Understandable... But also from our side two-thirds of that batting lineup should have already been in the first team or selected for it years ago. It is the selection problems of the last 10 years for SA cricket that gives a feeling this batting is weak, if you don't know the history of why these players are only just been selected.

For the SA international batting this tour could be a godsend that helps get batting selection sorted.
This is a cool insight, cheers. I had overlooked the nuances of SA selection that don't exist probably anywhere else in the world.

Of the guys playing in this Test/in the squad, were they all non-domestic T20 starters or did some choose to make themselves available over the domestic comp?

It's also wild to think what sort of Test side we would put out in similar circumstances. Your depth in SA must be pretty commendable.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
This is a cool insight, cheers. I had overlooked the nuances of SA selection that don't exist probably anywhere else in the world.

Of the guys playing in this Test/in the squad, were they all non-domestic T20 starters or did some choose to make themselves available over the domestic comp?

It's also wild to think what sort of Test side we would put out in similar circumstances. Your depth in SA must be pretty commendable.
I think Brand and Bedingham made themselves unavailable (stand to correction) most of the rest are either not known about internationally as much or seen as more long format players.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Um so just noticed this match on cricinfo. Who the hell are all these SA players. I recognised like 3 names

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Brand and Bedingham made themselves unavailable (stand to correction) most of the rest are either not known about internationally as much or seen as more long format players.
Why wasn't van Tonder playing the SAT20? Seems like the sort of player who should have been in the mix.

Frost

U19 Debutant
Players to Score 30+ Test Hubdreds in Career

*Total Career Innings in brackets*

**Still playing

Tendulkar - 51 (329)
Kallis - 45 (280)
Ponting - 41 (287)
Sangakkara - 38 (233)
Dravid - 36 (286)
Gavaskar - 34 (214)
Jayawardene - 34 (252)
Y. Khan - 34 (213)
Lara - 34 (232)
Cook - 33 (291)
S. Smith - 32 (191)**
S. Waugh - 32 (260)
Chanderpaul - 30 (280)
Hayden - 30 (184)
Root - 30 (250)**
Williamson - 30 (169)**

Kane Williamson becomes the 16th man to score 30 Test hundreds.
Another 5 hundreds( at least) should be relatively easy. Puts him in good company

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Why wasn't van Tonder playing the SAT20? Seems like the sort of player who should have been in the mix.
He has not made his mark in the T20 game. His career has very much stalled and I don't know why. I don't know if it lack of opportunity or coaches/management just not having trust in him for some reason.

My opinion from my very far away vantage point is that he had the technique and temperament to be world class. Hopefully he shows his stuff this tour.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Google is not helping - so can anyone tell me what website I can listen to radio commentary on for this Test?

EDIT: Found it.

Jeremy Coney :wub:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Result: Match drawn

Day 2: Innings Break
- New Zealand XI 294 (81.5 Overs), trail by 45 runs

Day 1: Innings Break- South Africa 1st innings 339 (81.2 0vers)

Teams:

South Africa
(12 batting, 11 fielding): Neil Brand(c), Edward Moore, Raynard van Tonder, Zubayr Hamza, Keegan Petersen, David Bedingham, Khaya Zondo, Ruan de Swardt, Clyde Fortuin(w), Mihlali Mpongwana, Shaun von Berg, Dane Piedt, Duanne Olivier, Tshepo Moreki, Dane Paterson

New Zealand XI (12 batting, 11 fielding): Matthew Boyle, Jacob Cumming, Bharat Popli(c), Dean Foxcroft, Leo Carter, Luke Georgeson, Max Chu(w), Jake Gibson, Ben Lockrose, Jacob Duffy, Sean Davey, Michael Snedden, Kyle Jamieson

South Africa have won the toss and have opted to bat
I really love that in this match, the South Africans had 12 blokes bat in the first innings. And then you get to their second innings and...

Screenshot_2024-02-05-11-31-09-187_com.july.cricinfo-edit.jpgScreenshot_2024-02-05-11-30-38-954_com.july.cricinfo-edit.jpg