• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where do you rank Shivnarine Chanderpaul in all-time best batsmen?

Owzat

U19 Captain
So I guess Greg Chappell, Javed Miandad and Viv Richards were hacks in your eyes?

Chanderpaul wouldn't even be in the top 5 of West Indies batsmen but you only have Lara ahead of him
curious as to your 5 West Indies batsmen ahead of shandy paul. obviously depends which era you include or exclude, guessing probably Richards, Haynes, Greenidge, if further back then a few aside from the obvious Sobers

Owzat

U19 Captain
I think Chanderpaul is probably a Top 50......
I think there's a tendency to think of *insert name of cricketer* fondly and place him on a much higher pedestal than deserves, although even I'd probably think WGAF and make a wild estimate rather than work out more methodically a list of names would be higher

awkward B to get out, about the last decent quality Test batsman they had. 164 Tests, FORTY NINE not outs in 280 innings so no great surprise his average was 50+ (42 runs per innings scored) I was astounded as I'd think of him more as a fifties man than hundreds that he has 30 hundreds to 66 fifties ie high conversion rate, then again Lara's 34 to 48 is just as :blink: although look at the "best" and Don did 29 100s to 13 fifties

of course the sheep, goat, whatever, Kohli has 29 to 29

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And yet I remember him for his 100s against Australia, 1 at Bourda (3rd fastest at the time), and 1 at the ARG (chasing 418, a record score)

capt_Luffy

International Regular
curious as to your 5 West Indies batsmen ahead of shandy paul. obviously depends which era you include or exclude, guessing probably Richards, Haynes, Greenidge, if further back then a few aside from the obvious Sobers
West Indian batsmen ahead of Chanderpaul:
Garry Sobers, Brian Lara, Viv Richards, George Headley, Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott, Frank Worrell, Rohan Kanhai, Gordon Greenidge, Clive Lloyd.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
I think there's a tendency to think of *insert name of cricketer* fondly and place him on a much higher pedestal than deserves, although even I'd probably think WGAF and make a wild estimate rather than work out more methodically a list of names would be higher

awkward B to get out, about the last decent quality Test batsman they had. 164 Tests, FORTY NINE not outs in 280 innings so no great surprise his average was 50+ (42 runs per innings scored) I was astounded as I'd think of him more as a fifties man than hundreds that he has 30 hundreds to 66 fifties ie high conversion rate, then again Lara's 34 to 48 is just as :blink: although look at the "best" and Don did 29 100s to 13 fifties

of course the sheep, goat, whatever, Kohli has 29 to 29
I actually made a list of best Test batsmen not too long ago; and Chanderpaul I believe was at #46

bagapath

International Captain
From the last 50 years if I made a list of top 40 test batsmen and divided them between different planes...

Richie Richardson, Michael Hussey, Aravind De Silva, Clive Lloyd, Graham Gooch, Mark Taylor and David Gower will be on the same plane. (7)

I would have Shivnaraine Chanderpaul, Mahela Jayawardene, Mohammad Yousuff, Michael Clarke, Martin Crowe, Hashim Amla, Gordon Greenidge, Geoff Boycott and Doug Walters on the plane above them. (9)

Which is plane below Kevin Pietersen, Steve Waugh, Inzamam Ul Haq, Younis Khan, Virender Sehwag, Matthew Hayden, Andy Flower, Joe Root, Graeme Smith and Virat Kohli, (10)

Which is one plane below Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Kumar Sangakara, Jacques Kallis, Javed Miandad, Adam Gilchrist, Allan Border and Kane Williamson (8)

Which is a plane below Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, Greg Chappell, Sunil Gavaskar and Steve Smith. (6)

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
From the last 50 years if I made a list of top 40 test batsmen and divided them between different planes...

Richie Richardson, Michael Hussey, Aravind De Silva, Clive Lloyd, Graham Gooch, Mark Taylor and David Gower will be on the same plane. (7)

I would have Shivnaraine Chanderpaul, Mahela Jayawardene, Mohammad Yousuff, Michael Clarke, Martin Crowe, Hashim Amla, Gordon Greenidge, Geoff Boycott and Doug Walters on the plane above them. (9)

Which is plane below Kevin Pietersen, Steve Waugh, Inzamam Ul Haq, Younis Khan, Virender Sehwag, Matthew Hayden, Andy Flower, Joe Root, Graeme Smith and Virat Kohli, (10)

Which is one plane below Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Kumar Sangakara, Jacques Kallis, Javed Miandad, Adam Gilchrist, Allan Border and Kane Williamson (8)

Which is a plane below Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, Greg Chappell, Sunil Gavaskar and Steve Smith. (6)
I feel like Pietersen is way too high here. He had a fairly short career for a batsman and played in a high scoring era. Gilchrist is also definitely too high if you are only considering his batting. Gilchrist>S Waugh as a batsman isn't a view i can get behind.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
AB de Villiers should probably be in the list. Gilchrist and Waugh should be switched. Sehwag and Hayden kind of feel one tier too high as well, should be switched with Boycott and Greenidge maybe

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain

No!!!

Jumno

State 12th Man
He was good and could get his side out of trouble.

I don't rate him even as a west indies top 5 bats.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
He was good and could get his side out of trouble.

I don't rate him even as a west indies top 5 bats.
Headley, Sobers, Richards and Lara are ahead. He has to get ahead of all the Three W's, Kanhai, Lloyd and Greenidge to make it. I'd personally have all those ahead of him so not even top ten wrt windies bats

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Headley, Sobers, Richards and Lara are ahead. He has to get ahead of all the Three W's, Kanhai, Lloyd and Greenidge to make it. I'd personally have all those ahead of him so not even top ten wrt windies bats
1. Sobers
2. Richards
3. Lara
4. Headley
5. Weekes
6. Greenidge
7. Walcott
8. Lloyd
9. Worrell
10. Kanhai
11. Chanderpaul

Would be my order. All top 30 or so so great strength in depth.

bagapath

International Captain
He doesn't make the top 25 for me from the last 50 years.
My top 50 test batsmen since 1973 after taking in the feedback from you guys.

Tier 1:
Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, Greg Chappell, Sunil Gavaskar and Steve Smith. (6)

Tier 2:
Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Kumar Sangakara, Jacques Kallis, Javed Miandad, Adam Gilchrist, Allan Border and Kane Williamson (8)

Tier 3:
Kevin Pietersen, Steve Waugh, Inzamam Ul Haq, Younis Khan, Virender Sehwag, Matthew Hayden, Andy Flower, Joe Root, Graeme Smith, ABDV and Virat Kohli, (11)

Tier 4:
Shivnaraine Chanderpaul, Mahela Jayawardene, Mohammad Yousuf, Michael Clarke, Martin Crowe, Hashim Amla, Gordon Greenidge, Geoff Boycott, VVS Laxman, GR Viswanath, Zaheer Abbas, Babar Azam and Doug Walters (13)

Tier 5:
Richie Richardson, Michael Hussey, Aravind De Silva, Clive Lloyd, Graham Gooch, Mark Taylor, David Gower, Justin Langer, Sanath Jayasurya, Desmond Haynes, David Boon and Mark Waugh (12)

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Tier 1:
Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, Greg Chappell, Sunil Gavaskar and Steve Smith. (6)

Tier 2:
Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Kumar Sangakara, Jacques Kallis, Javed Miandad, Adam Gilchrist, Allan Border and Kane Williamson (8)

Tier 3:
Kevin Pietersen, Steve Waugh, Inzamam Ul Haq, Younis Khan, Virender Sehwag, Matthew Hayden, Andy Flower, Joe Root, Graeme Smith, ABDV and Virat Kohli, (11)

Tier 4:
Shivnaraine Chanderpaul, Mahela Jayawardene, Mohammad Yousuf, Michael Clarke, Martin Crowe, Hashim Amla, Gordon Greenidge, Geoff Boycott, VVS Laxman, GR Viswanath, Zaheer Abbas, Babar Azam and Doug Walters (13)

Tier 5:
Richie Richardson, Michael Hussey, Aravind De Silva, Clive Lloyd, Graham Gooch, Mark Taylor, David Gower, Justin Langer, Sanath Jayasurya, Desmond Haynes, David Boon and Mark Waugh (12)
So… Steve Waugh is considered a tier below Gilchrist and in the same tier as Pietersen…

And Williamson is a tier above Root and Kohli? Thats a new one for me.

Also lol. Babar Azam is in the same tier as Boycott and Greenidge and a tier above Lloyd? Really?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:

Tier 4:

Tier 5:
I think ABDV and Root are a bit low. I'd actually have had Joe Root near the top of Tier 2, and I kinda thought that's where most would have had him. I don't think ~any England fans would say KP and Root are on the same level, although that might be because KP is a tier too high.