• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Semi-Final #1- India vs New Zealand - November 15th - Wankhede, Mumbai (D/N)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If true, it would be cause for a major 'please explain' from the BCCI, for a start, given pitches for ICC events are made by ICC curators and under no circumstances should they even be speaking to these people, let alone trying to influence them. If this were true, it would be something that should be seriously investigated.

Wait are you serious? I thought it was a joke. What does that mean? ICC flies in a dude from London to take over the Wankhade pitch preparation a month before the WC? Some dude from Mumbai flew to Lord's prior to the World Test Championship and took over the preparation? This is not a thing.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I agree we should bat first because our best chance of winning the game or at least putting India under pressure is Boult and Southee taking wickets under lights if the ball swings. We should aim for at least 300 but to do that we really need to be 240 at the 40 over mark because scoring runs at the death against Bumrah is insanely difficult.

I also just want us to hold all our catches. If we do that and still lose, I can live with it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wait are you serious? I thought it was a joke. What does that mean? ICC flies in a dude from London to take over the Wankhade pitch preparation a month before the WC? Some dude from Mumbai flew to Lord's prior to the World Test Championship and took over the preparation? This is not a thing.
*same guy wearing BCCI and ICC badge on his shirt*

I am the curator now

Athlai

Not Terrible
I agree we should bat first because our best chance of winning the game or at least putting India under pressure is Boult and Southee taking wickets under lights if the ball swings. We should aim for at least 300 but to do that we really need to be 240 at the 40 over mark because scoring runs at the death against Bumrah is insanely difficult.

I also just want us to hold all our catches. If we do that and still lose, I can live with it.

Rachin 120 (110)
Conway 100 (80)
Williamson 100 (70)
Latham 20 (39)
Santner 6 *(1)

347 to win

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't get that completely right...but it's not all the responsibility of local curators.

“The BCCI local curators have formed a local organising group to look after pitches across the country during the World Cup. The International Cricket Council (ICC) also sent its own experts to various venues for each game,” the Indian Express reported.

Prior to the tournament, a presentation was made by International Cricket Council pitch consultant Andy Atkinson in Mumbai, where he addressed a gathering of all host association curators for the upcoming event, the Hindustan Times reported in August.

“Atkinson, it is learnt, made it clear to the local curators – 9 of the 12 staging association curators attended the meet – that they shouldn’t come under any external pressure to remove grass from the pitches for specific matches. “We were told to try and provide a 60-40 pitch conducive to batting,” said one curator who attended the meet,” the Times reported.

Under that set-up, it is very clear the ICC are there to ensure there is no duress placed from the home team.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I didn't get that completely right...but it's not all the responsibility of local curators.

“The BCCI local curators have formed a local organising group to look after pitches across the country during the World Cup. The International Cricket Council (ICC) also sent its own experts to various venues for each game,” the Indian Express reported.

Prior to the tournament, a presentation was made by International Cricket Council pitch consultant Andy Atkinson in Mumbai, where he addressed a gathering of all host association curators for the upcoming event, the Hindustan Times reported in August.

“Atkinson, it is learnt, made it clear to the local curators – 9 of the 12 staging association curators attended the meet – that they shouldn’t come under any external pressure to remove grass from the pitches for specific matches. “We were told to try and provide a 60-40 pitch conducive to batting,” said one curator who attended the meet,” the Times reported.

Under that set-up, it is very clear the ICC are there to ensure there is no duress placed from the home team.
Presumably this meeting for potential pitches was a powerpoint presentation of photos of various tarmac airport runways.

loterry1994

International Debutant
52 runs in 5 overs is pretty much doable. Dhoni of 2005-15 would have easily done it . Dhoni of 2015-19 was a very average batsman
didn’t they need like 30 something of the last 2 if I remember correctly. Yeah dhoni felt more like mainly a captain and keeper during that period. I guess teams kind of played more aggressive though and loaded up their batting line up more and starting getting bigger totals which didn’t suit his style of chewing up a lot of balls as much

loterry1994

International Debutant
Honestly if your india you probably want a flat pitch because they got a clear advantage in the bowling over NZ. Last thing they want is Boult hooping it around in the powerplay and being 2-3 wickets down. Then you got some good nz spinners holding it in the middle overs

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Yes well a nice PowerPoint with some “pretty please” suggestions which 3/12 curators didn’t even bother attending. I don’t think icc is involved at all other than to stress what constitutes a good pitch by icc standard. I don’t think they’re anymore involved than that (nor should they be, given local differences in pitch preparation).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If true, it would be cause for a major 'please explain' from the BCCI, for a start, given pitches for ICC events are made by ICC curators and under no circumstances should they even be speaking to these people, let alone trying to influence them. If this were true, it would be something that should be seriously investigated.

I'd actually back us more so on a slowish track. To me, the faster the track, the more hot to handle Bumrah, Shami and Shami are, and Jadeja/Kuldeep will be effective as they have been all tournament. A slower track brings Southee's cutters into play a bit more, Santner, even Phillips and Rachin become solid options. On quicker tracks, our 5th/6th option and even Ferguson/Southee are a chance of being cannon fodder.
The whole shebang has been geared for an Indian win. Which will make it all the better when they take the gas.