• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match#5 - India vs Australia

Who will win?

• India

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Tie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No result

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Gob

International Coach
I know Marnus doesn’t make the XI if Head is fit but I’m surprised he’s anywhere near your ODI side tbh. Surely there are better options out there?
There is no reason why he shouldn't be very good though. He is a good all round batsman and just started to come good in South Africa. Its purely on potential but I back him to come good against a quality attack than some one else like Inglis who might have better list A numbers

Problems are that Green looks stuck at the moment, Carey has been dire since Bairstow gate, Marsh shouldn't open and Maxwell is Maxwell you can't really rely on him

Plus they ran in to the tournament favourites

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The issue is the middle order, we knew that coming in. Green can't rotate the strike early, particularly vs spin. Him batting higher ideally solved that problem but he got concussed in SA and marnus took that spot. Carey can't buy a run, and for whatever reason where messing around with maxwell's spot, at a wc, after finally getting him to work in ODI cricket at #7. We've still got a great top 4, some fantastic bowlers and maxwell at 7 in an ideal world.

Gob

International Coach
I think it’s definitely an issue, I know Smith can score quickly at times but him and Marnus are playing anchor type roles most the time in the shorter formats. You definitely don’t need two of those type players in your batting line up these days. Recent odi history shows the more successful way is to load the batting with more power and higher strike rates and have a quality keeper who can bat in your line up. That’s why head being fit is crucial to this team. Warner, Marsh, Head as your top 3 is way better than what we had today. If we keep our batting order the way it was today throughout the tournament I think we are struggling big time
Smith literally scored a 61 ball 74 in the last ODI he played and has consistently produced the goods at 3 whenever he played ODI cricket (which is considerably less compared to others). Its brainless to move anyone else there

Who do you want at 4 over Marnus?

Gob

International Coach
Smith and Marnus are the ideal pair for Australia to bat from overs 15 to 35 in India. They need to fix the rest

Gob

International Coach
Well you can send Green to open with licence to slog. Thats one way of getting the best out of him. 30 ball 60 or something similar which he did that one time in India although admittedly in a t20 series

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you can send Green to open with licence to slog. Thats one way of getting the best out of him. 30 ball 60 or something similar which he did that one time in India although admittedly in a t20 series
Yeah in the ipl he was alot better when he was able to bat 3/open for mumbai he got his eye in then by the time the spinners where on he was set and could move the strike easier. This is exactly why I wanted marsh lower down in SA before the head injury. We already have a million top order guys, we don't also need him doing that.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Smith literally scored a 61 ball 74 in the last ODI he played and has consistently produced the goods at 3 whenever he played ODI cricket (which is considerably less compared to others). Its brainless to move anyone else there

Who do you want at 4 over Marnus?
if Head is fit im having Warner and Head as openers then Marsh at 3 and then Smith at 4. Marnus is out when they rested Smith in some the t20 and odi series before this World Cup. I thought Marsh looked very good at 3. I think that’s a better line up to blast through the power play plus Head and Marsh can up the run rate while Warner gets going. Also Inglis would be in instead of Carey

Gob

International Coach
Maybe they shouldn't panic that much after a game. It was India after all

Also it's not like they were ever going to have a dominant run in the world Cup. Their best chance is to somehow sneak in to the semis and play two perfect games while hoping the other teams have a less than perfect game. They certainly have the individuals to win the game for them on their day

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
if Head is fit im having Warner and Head as openers then Marsh at 3 and then Smith at 4. Marnus is out when they rested Smith in some the t20 and odi series before this World Cup. I thought Marsh looked very good at 3. I think that’s a better line up to blast through the power play plus Head and Marsh can up the run rate while Warner gets going. Also Inglis would be in instead of Carey
See, your moving smith from 3. He's way better at 3, any benifit you get from another player their is immediately lost because smith is now lower down.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Superb performance from the bowling unit. Can't even decide who was the best bowler - Jadeja who wrecked the model order or Kuldeep who broke the crucial Warner-Smith partnership or Bumrah who bowled tight opening spell. Even Ashwin who had just one wicket to show for was visibly bowling very well. Promising start.

Batters need to get their act together though. They won't be chasing 200 always. Kohli played an embarrassingly high number of false shots. Only Rahul looked pro.

loterry1994

International Debutant
See, your moving smith from 3. He's way better at 3, any benifit you get from another player their is immediately lost because smith is now lower down.
I’m just basing what I seen the last few months before the World Cup. And Marsh at 3 with head and Warner opening looks way better. I’ve already said the reasons why. The power play is important as these days a lot of the games are won and lost there. I think Marsh is a better person to come out at 3 when you lose an early wicket or get a good start because he is able to maintain it up the run rate better than Smith.

Gob

International Coach
You are genuinely reducing Smith’s effectiveness by moving him away from the power play overs. Smith can score runs at a decent clip on the back of an early wicket to set the platform to a more powerful striker like Marsh down the order

Not to mention Smith is far better technically equipped to handle the new ball so yeah you are basically reducing the efficiency of both Smith and Marsh

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Is there a SLA who can bat whom you can get in to replace Stoinis? It would help the most as far as Australia are concerned.

Gob

International Coach
I’m just basing what I seen the last few months before the World Cup. And Marsh at 3 with head and Warner opening looks way better. I’ve already said the reasons why. The power play is important as these days a lot of the games are won and lost there. I think Marsh is a better person to come out at 3 when you lose an early wicket or get a good start because he is able to maintain it up the run rate better than Smith.
If the wicket is good to bat, Smith would score at a faster rate

Just like the last ****ing ODI he played