• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match#5 - India vs Australia

Who will win?

• India

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Tie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No result

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Gob

International Coach
Does Pat Cummins get in the XI cause of his piercing eyes, luscious wavy hair and winning smile?

Deadset bog average white ball bowler. And has been for many years
Well he is the captain

He shouldn't be. Ideally you want another spinner at his expense. Any of Murphy, Kuhnemann or Lyon would certainly improve this bowling attack

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he is the captain

He shouldn't be. Ideally you want another spinner at his expense. Any of Murphy, Kuhnemann or Lyon would certainly improve this bowling attack
is kuhnemann not fit? Should have been in this squad if he was.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Smith is far more worrying for you. Always plays 50 ball 40 since 2019 and then gets out. Just like Misbah of the 2010s. Puts unnecessary pressure on the team.
Smith and Marnus at 3 and 4 is a big worry. I don’t think they are the ideal guys you want when say you’re chasing a 320-350 total and one or both of your openers get out early they take too much time to get going which could happen a lot this tournament with how flat some the pitches have been. They need to hope Head is fit soon because him opening with Warner and Marsh coming in at 3 is a way better batting line up as they showed a few months ago

King Kane

International Debutant
It's not all bad news for Australia they are ahead of minnows like the Netherlands, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and England on the current World Cup table.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You guys are overreacting. The loss of Agar and Head was very rough for Australia. If you compare the side they played today Vs what could have been.. its a stark difference.

Head Warner Smith Marsh Carey Maxwell Agar Starc Cummins Zampa Hazlewood - is a serious line up, 3 quality seamers and Marsh, 2 quality LO spinners plus Maxwell and Head. Loads of options... I have my doubts on Head and I think you would have seen Ashwin opening the bowling if it was Head and Warner opening the batting, but its still far better balanced for Indian conditions than what they have today.

And I will give Carey few more games, he has earned the credit. The last thing Aus should do is panic. Just get in another spinner who can bat, preferably a SLA and have Stoinis go back home and bat Green at 5 and Maxi at 7.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And a good win for India. Hopefully Hardik is fully fit after some rest. If needed, I would rest him for the next game and play SKY. Or even play Shardul instead and let Jaddu bat 6 and Ash bat 7.

It was good that KL got the bigger score and the red ink at the end, as he was definitely the more fluent batsman today, but Virat scoring such clutch runs even when not in top form must actually worry the opponents more.

All in all, a great win at a great stadium in a great city to start off what is hopefully a great WC run.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith and Marnus at 3 and 4 is a big worry. I don’t think they are the ideal guys you want when say you’re chasing a 320-350 total and one or both of your openers get out early they take too much time to get going which could happen a lot this tournament with how flat some the pitches have been. They need to hope Head is fit soon because him opening with Warner and Marsh coming in at 3 is a way better batting line up as they showed a few months ago
1696784095482.png

Gob

International Coach
Smith has 62 ball hundreds. He plays the situation just like today when it was it was genuinely difficult to score
Marnus obviously hasn't set the world on fire but he was also improving of late in South Africa. Those two aren't the issue

loterry1994

International Debutant
You guys are overreacting. The loss of Agar and Head was very rough for Australia. If you compare the side they played today Vs what could have been.. its a stark difference.

Head Warner Smith Marsh Carey Maxwell Agar Starc Cummins Zampa Hazlewood - is a serious line up, 3 quality seamers and Marsh, 2 quality LO spinners plus Maxwell and Head. Loads of options... I have my doubts on Head and I think you would have seen Ashwin opening the bowling if it was Head and Warner opening the batting, but its still far better balanced for Indian conditions than what they have today.

And I will give Carey few more games, he has earned the credit. The last thing Aus should do is panic. Just get in another spinner who can bat, preferably a SLA and have Stoinis go back home and bat Green at 5 and Maxi at 7.
Head was in crazy form before his injury and really helped Warners batting and strike rate a lot. Because Warner could go at his slower rate and you’d have Head and Marsh upping the run rate already while Warner gets in. Now you got Smith and Marnus there who are slowing the rate even more and leaving too much for the lower order to do at the back end it will really hurt us scoring 320-350 if we lose early wickets.

That’s why head is the big key to our batting line up and team if his gone the majority or all this tournament I give aus next to no chance winning it

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Smith has 62 ball hundreds. He plays the situation just like today when it was it was genuinely difficult to score
Marnus obviously hasn't set the world on fire but he was also improving of late in South Africa. Those two aren't the issue
I know Marnus doesn’t make the XI if Head is fit but I’m surprised he’s anywhere near your ODI side tbh. Surely there are better options out there?

loterry1994

International Debutant
I think it’s definitely an issue, I know Smith can score quickly at times but him and Marnus are playing anchor type roles most the time in the shorter formats. You definitely don’t need two of those type players in your batting line up these days. Recent odi history shows the more successful way is to load the batting with more power and higher strike rates and have a quality keeper who can bat in your line up. That’s why head being fit is crucial to this team. Warner, Marsh, Head as your top 3 is way better than what we had today. If we keep our batting order the way it was today throughout the tournament I think we are struggling big time

loterry1994

International Debutant
I know Marnus doesn’t make the XI if Head is fit but I’m surprised he’s anywhere near your ODI side tbh. Surely there are better options out there?
it’s still baffling how they didn’t pick a bowler once Agar wasn’t fit. We are short on replacements on that end if our bowlers get smoked on flatter pitches

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith at 3 is fine. The problem is Marnus at 4 is unproven at best and Maxwell is way too inconsistent to be at 5. He should be at 7. The other 2 batsmen being Carey and Green doesn't help things. They need another proper batsman in there.