• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Runs at 9, 10, 11?! (Test Cricket)

shortpitched713

International Captain
How useful are they, and would you pick bowlers based on that criteria? What if you're South Africa and most of your bowlers can seemingly bat for some reason. What if they're all absolute mugs? Should they just block and let their better partner score, or should they actually be going with an approach of trying to score themselves?

At face value, they're as important as any other runs, so all things equal... But yeah rarely is it that all things are equal. Almost always, bowlers get picked to bowl though, incomprehensible incompetence with the bat be damned.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Of course lower order runs are useful. It's all about trade offs though. I'd happily pick 4 non batsmen if they are clearly the 4 best bowlers available for the conditions.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
There is no reason why lower order players shouldn't work on improving their batsmanship. I recall when tailenders in Australoia's team/squad were allocated to seasoned batsmen to coach them. Glenn McGrath was allocated Steve Waugh and within a few months McGrath was showing greater confidence and competence.
This is illustrated by the fact that, from 1993-2000, McGrath's batting average was 5.87 and from 2001 to 2007 it was 10.09 .Not great figures but, for a typical number 11, McGrath almost doubled his value with the bat.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There is no reason why lower order players shouldn't work on improving their batsmanship. I recall when tailenders in Australoia's team/squad were allocated to seasoned batsmen to coach them. Glenn McGrath was allocated Steve Waugh and within a few months McGrath was showing greater confidence and competence.
This is illustrated by the fact that, from 1993-2000, McGrath's batting average was 5.87 and from 2001 to 2007 it was 10.09 .Not great figures but, for a typical number 11, McGrath almost doubled his value with the bat.
Bumrah is a much improved batsman too. Broke a record that was held by Brian Lara.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Imagine if he had Bradman, he might’ve hit a ton before Warne.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
England once had a tail of Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell and Giddens. Three number elevens and Caddick is probably a ten by today's standards.

It's useful if your number eight can score the odd fifty but can regularly contribute 20s/30s. That's where someone like Woakes is gold dust, especially at home. Your nine would still be a guy you want to average in the teens with the bat. Less likely to hit half-centuries, but certainly chipping in with some useful scores now and then. Mark Wood is excellent for this. Ten and eleven are more about holding a bat to let the other guy hit runs.

Whether you pick one bowler over another because of their bowling? It really depends on the difference it makes. I remember England picking Saj Mahmood because they thought he could bat and would lengthen the tail (he didn't).

FBU

International Debutant
I remember Agar's 98 at 11 and also at 11 Tino Best's 95. There was Southee's 77* at 10 with 9 sixes. Tail end batting is great fun to watch.
Saqib Mahmood leading run scorer in the innings at no 11 with 49 in the WI. :)

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember Agar's 98 at 11 and also at 11 Tino Best's 95. There was Southee's 77* at 10 with 9 sixes. Tail end batting is great fun to watch.
Saqib Mahmood leading run scorer in the innings at no 11 with 49 in the WI. :)
Jerome Taylor's ton....Alzarri 86

Both in New Zealand

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Smith scored 173 off 136 balls at no 9 for NZ v India in 1990. NZ were put in on a green top and collapsed to 85/6 and 131/7 before Smith and Hadlee saved the innings.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread reminds me of my favourite cw complaint, moaning about a team's inability to dismiss a tail cheaply then under rating bowlers adept at skinning rabbits.
I was thinking the same. But I think the problem might be, and trying to phrase this properly... If the perception is that some are more adept at tail enders than the top order?

But I've believed that sometimes it is complacency and indiscipline that allows some of these runs. Sorry to again revert back to the recently concluded ashes, but there was a particular match when England went bouncer crazy and lost the plot.

the big bambino

International Captain
I was thinking the same. But I think the problem might be, and trying to phrase this properly... If the perception is that some are more adept at tail enders than the top order?

But I've believed that sometimes it is complacency and indiscipline that allows some of these runs. Sorry to again revert back to the recently concluded ashes, but there was a particular match when England went bouncer crazy and lost the plot.
Tbf the circumstance that rubs specifically is the argument being used to separate Akram from other bowlers in comparisons. Whereas his methods against the tail should be followed by bowlers even if they don't possess his level of skill.

I have a perhaps distorted recollection of Lillee being ineffective against the tail because he treated them as he would real batsmen. The image that keeps recurring in my mind is Underwood slashing him over the slips on a frustrating number of occasions.

I think both sides in the ashes bowled quite badly at times and the fault was with the length chosen.