• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes but if, as you suggest, the England batsman aren’t confident with the shot then it’s highly unlikely they’ll execute it well and be successful, therefore the approach is all wrong. The poor execution is inevitable.
How long did Aus do the short pitched thing for?

Burgey

It was just 85-90mph into the chest, the stuff batters deal with all the time
Kevin, just out of interest, how many 90mph chest-head high balls have you had to deal with over the years? Cos they aren’t fun, no matter who you are.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Fell asleep just after lunch and saw bugger all. Very good day for England by the looks, the Lyon injury mid-match blows but Murphy will be fine for the rest of the series. Kid’s quality.

Heard Marnus dropped a dolly off Brook. Was it as easy as they made out?

Game is well poised now. With Lyon out Aus will probably only win by a hundred or so instead of 250 given the pitch seems to have flattened out. At least it was an external injury so presumably he can bat at three as usual this afternoon England time.
The Labushchagne chance wasn't a dolly - it was straight at him but Brook really hammered it.

You missed one heck of a day. The last session was truly unbelievable - in all my years of watching cricket the last hour or so is the most unusual I've ever seen.

Even with our attacking approach, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Jim Maxwell called it
This is the weirdest, most bizarre hour of cricket I've ever seen in the Ashes."

I agree 100% with that.

Burgey

Haha cheers mate. I’ve got to pop out for a bit but I’ll try to catch the last session through the day. Sounds insane

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Murphy did pretty well in India and he may well perform well in the next Test or so.

But he isn't Nathan Lyon. We will obviously go after him and it'll be a massive task for him to withstand the barrage that will come his way.

It's a massive shame for Lyon, and come the end of the series, his injury may prove to be one of the pivotal moments of the whole series.
Murphy has played quite a lot of Twenty20 I think, so that might be a plus facing this kind of batting.

On the downside, his test experience is minimal and his Ashes experience zero.

The bowling on both sides has been largely underwhelming, and both have serious issues to address from here on in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I listened to from Duckett getting out through to close on TMS trying to navigate my way around Cheshire (lorry and car collision on the M56. No fatalities it seems so I don’t feel too bad about my indignance at the terrible journey). Maxwell was annoying as ****. I’ve usually enjoyed him but he just kept doing this American accent when talking about ‘Bazball’. Terrible

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Was this like that NZ-SL game where everyone just kept playing hook shots to short balls no matter what?
Yeah. Root was the worst offender. He was out 3rd ball hooking, caught behind off his gloves off a no ball. Pope had already got out hooking.

Then Duckett got out hooking for 98. Root ducked about 2 bouncers then got out again hooking.

The Aussies had 3 or 4 fielders waiting for the mis timed hook and we just carried on hooking.

Then Harry Brook came in and was teeing off like it was a benefit match.

I'm lost for words - I've never seen anything like it.

Burgey

Yeah. Root was the worst offender. He was out 3rd ball hooking, caught behind off his gloves off a no ball. Pope had already got out hooking.

Then Duckett got out hooking for 98. Root ducked about 2 bouncers then got out again hooking.

The Aussies had 3 or 4 fielders waiting for the mis timed hook and we just carried on hooking.

Sounds completely bonkers. Who bowled the No ball?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Labushchagne chance wasn't a dolly - it was straight at him but Brook really hammered it.

You missed one heck of a day. The last session was truly unbelievable - in all my years of watching cricket the last hour or so is the most unusual I've ever seen.

Jim Maxwell called it
This is the weirdest, most bizarre hour of cricket I've ever seen in the Ashes."

I agree 100% with that.
Cliffs?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Reminds me a bit of the sweepathon.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant

Jim Maxwell called it

I agree 100% with that.
Jim Maxwell has been superb to listen to, as always.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Chris.Hinton's Appriciation File
=========================

Records for Fastest 1000 Test runs : Sir Donald Bradman in 7 test but (13 innings, )
PlayerOppositionGroundMatch DateDebutTimeMatInnsScorecard
H Sutcliffe (ENG)v AustraliaMelbourne13 Feb 192514 Jun 19240y 244d912Test # 161
ED Weekes (WI)v IndiaBrabourne4 Feb 194921 Jan 19481y 14d912Test # 311
DG Bradman (AUS)v EnglandLeeds11 Jul 193030 Nov 19281y 223d713Test # 196
RN Harvey (AUS)v EnglandBrisbane1 Dec 195023 Jan 19482y 312d1014Test # 327
VG Kambli (IND)v West IndiesWankhede18 Nov 199429 Jan 19931y 293d1214Test # 1274
Brooks ( eng)V AustraliaLords08
Dec
30 june
0Y
181d*
914*Test #

Harry Brook (9th test 14 innings*)need 55 more to joins Herbert Sutcliffe (14 innings) & Everton weeks(14) innings

Ind's Gavaskar scored 774 in his 1st 4 test but it took him 7 more test for 226 more runs! ✍
Sutcliffe took 244 days while Brooks if scored 55 today reaches fastest by days 181 days only.

Last edited: