• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Keith Barker - just the 36 years old. One for the best bowlers not to represent their country (if you don't count Hong Kong 6s)

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
In the case of Barker, 'countries' seeing as he was eligible for both England and the W Indies.
or even, despite his good connections, his home county having represented them each year at age group level from under 11s to under 15s, although he was subsequently lost to football (England u18s - u20s).

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Probably the biggest crowd I can remember seeing for a Championship Match at Hove, loads of school kids in by the looks of it. Let's hope Smith isn't out cheaply this morning (assuming that's who they've come to see).
Good to hear. What percentage full would you say the ground was?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
All over before lunch at The Oval, which didn't look very likely when Kent reached 78 for 1 yesterday. Losing their last 9 for 63 decided the game, with young Tom Lawes claiming five of them for only 22.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
The Vitality Blast is up and running at the same time as the IPL and the County Championship. What a mess the domestic season is.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
tbf I don't think we should be arranging our domestic season around other countries' domestic competitions, so I have no issue with that. There are bigger reasons why our domestic season is a mess.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
tbf I don't think we should be arranging our domestic season around other countries' domestic competitions, so I have no issue with that. There are bigger reasons why our domestic season is a mess.
Blast and Championship on at the same time is still odd though. Having the Blast and the Hundred coexist just breaks things in a way it doesn't for other countries.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Blast and Championship on at the same time is still odd though. Having the Blast and the Hundred coexist just breaks things in a way it doesn't for other countries.
I'm probably just showing my age, with my formative years spent watching Sunday's John Player League, when that was the shortest format of the game, taking place throughout the season alongside the CC. So the Blast and the CC doing the same doesn't bother me, unless the T20 version is pulling players out of the CC.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
I'm probably just showing my age, with my formative years spent watching Sunday's John Player League, when that was the shortest format of the game, taking place throughout the season alongside the CC. So the Blast and the CC doing the same doesn't bother me, unless the T20 version is pulling players out of the CC.
I might have been young but I can recall JPS girls walking round the outfield giving packs of No.6 away - I doubt they were selling, tbh I can't remember. But there was no overlap as with today. Sunday was the John Player League, Championship the rest of the week. Never were some counties playing in the JPS whilst others on the same day played in the championship.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I night have been young but I can recall JPS girls walking round the outfield giving packs of No.6 away - I doubt they were selling, butu tbh I can't remember. But there was no overlap as with today. Sunday was the John Player League, Championship the rest of the week. Never were some counties playing in the JPS whilst others on the same day played in the championship.
I see what you mean now, especially with your follow-up message. And I think you're right about the CC not being played on Sundays, when everyone played their JPL matches. Yes, this is all a bit messy, isn't it. Although I don't know how much it bothers me compared to the other abominations that have been carried out with the domestic game.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
I see what you mean now, especially with your follow-up message. And I think you're right about the CC not being played on Sundays, when everyone played their JPL matches. Yes, this is all a bit messy, isn't it. Although I don't know how much it bothers me compared to the other abominations that have been carried out with the domestic game.
Agreed, the worst is not playing every county the same number of times.