• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, all those funky ideas we talked of to get rid of Crawley come to nought, *sighs*. ho hum.

Starfighter

I wondered if Archer might have had a recurrence of the stress fracture. Persistent soreness but a muscular cause never reported. Now it's confirmed. I really do suspect that the hyperextension that gets him his pace must cause some unusual stresses, I don't think I've ever heard of it in a cricketer - there are persistent reports from baseball pitchers though it's not common.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
All the signs pointed to this but I can't for the life of me see how it's the right call. If I'm Foakes I'm ****ing filthy as hell right now.

Big pressure on YJB now.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
I wondered if Archer might have had a recurrence of the stress fracture. Persistent soreness but a muscular cause never reported. Now it's confirmed. I really do suspect that the hyperextension that gets him his pace must cause some unusual stresses, I don't think I've ever heard of it in a cricketer - there are persistent reports from baseball pitchers though it's not common.
I'd guess that he wont play test cricket again, however desperate he is to continue to play all forms of cricket.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Really feel for Foakes, particularly when Crawley is still in the line up but it's been inevitable that he would lose his place with the noises coming out of the camp of late.

As for Joffra, again not surprising that he's out again. You have to fear for his future, particularly in red ball cricket but even with the white ball as well.

Molehill

International Captain
It's unusual for a team to make a decision that has almost unanimous disapproval from the supporters. Even the numbers don't add up as Foakes averages more as keeper than Bairstow does. It is now going to put a lot of pressure on Crawley, Bairstow and even Brook.

I did expect Foakes to drop out for Bairstow in the final eleven (even though I didn't agree), but I didn't expect Lawrence to make the squad ahead of him. If a batsman is injured it looks like Foakes still won't play. Madness.
That's a valid point. If any middle order bat misses out then the obvious solution is move Bairstow up and give the gloves to Foakes. What Lawrence is doing there I have no idea.

As usual, just as an Ashes series appears, England start making ridiculous selection decisions.

Starfighter

I did expect Foakes to drop out for Bairstow in the final eleven (even though I didn't agree), but I didn't expect Lawrence to make the squad ahead of him. If a batsman is injured it looks like Foakes still won't play. Madness.
But dat county average of 34.

Seriously, Foakes is averaging more than Lawrence this year while nearly having the same strike rate.

Also Ben Compton averages 56 in first class cricket but can't get a game over a man averaging *checks notes* 30.4 after 97 matches largely for the same team. I can imagine a strike rate of a piffling 46 must not fit with the BazBall plan (and Rob Key's prejudices).

Starfighter

As usual, just as an Ashes series appears, England start making ridiculous selection decisions.
Eh, I don't think England's squad selections have been too ridiculous in the time I've been watching. Some baffling ones when it comes to the actual team though, certainly in the last series.

halba

International 12th Man
eng xi for first ashes test locked in

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Bairstow (W/K)
Stokes (C)
Broad
Leach
Robinson
Anderson(if fit)/ Woakes(if anderson not fit)