• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's really hard to argue against the results thus far of the bazball approach.......but surely to christ its important to have some cake in amongst it (hate myself for even using that term in respect to test cricket but here we are)

Imo Foakes was the perfect foil for the hitters coming at 7 and he's proved that with important knocks resurrecting enough innings in the last 12 months to totally prove his worth to this set up. And that's before we consider the fact that he's quite arguably the best gloveman in the world.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Crawley in yet Foakes dropped for Bairstow.

Foakes would have been a better opener than Crawley.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh, I don't think England's squad selections have been too ridiculous in the time I've been watching. Some baffling ones when it comes to the actual team though, certainly in the last series.
The squad for the pak tour last year was questioned ALOT when it was announced, TBF.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just a reminder that stokes averages more than tendulkar and bradman in tests while opening and does so while striking at nearly 140. Easy 5-0 for england if he opens.

the big bambino

International Captain
Just a reminder that stokes averages more than tendulkar and bradman in tests while opening and does so while striking at nearly 140. Easy 5-0 for england if he opens.
That'd be one innings wouldn't it? Batting about an hour and a bit setting a target right? Against the WI too.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
It's really hard to argue against the results thus far of the bazball approach.......but surely to christ its important to have some cake in amongst it (hate myself for even using that term in respect to test cricket but here we are)

Imo Foakes was the perfect foil for the hitters coming at 7 and he's proved that with important knocks resurrecting enough innings in the last 12 months to totally prove his worth to this set up. And that's before we consider the fact that he's quite arguably the best gloveman in the world.
I hate the term also but Bazball has been the encouragement of players to play their natural game without fear, which it could be argued Foakes has done with his batting.

It's still raving mad he's not even in the squad.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I've no issue with Bairstow coming back into the side, he has to play given his recent form.

But we've managed to make the worst decision possible by dropping Foakes.

Not only is Foakes a very good keeper, he's also a good batsman. But also, by playing Bairstow at 7, we're not going to get the best out of him.

He should be batting at 4 or 5. He's wasted at 7, where at times he's going to have to take risks as our tail is too long, particularly if Woakes doesn't play.

You can see it now - Bairstow out for a quick fire 20 to a wild slog because Cummings has ripped through our tail and he was in danger of being left stranded.

Pope should have been moved up to open with Root at 3, Bairstow at 4, Brook 5 and Stokes 6.

I don't know 1 single person who knows anything about the game, that thinks this move was the way to go.

Molehill

International Captain
Eh, I don't think England's squad selections have been too ridiculous in the time I've been watching. Some baffling ones when it comes to the actual team though, certainly in the last series.
And from this squad, will this team not end up being a bit baffling? In order to pick a baffling team, you need to have some odd names in the squad to start with......Kerrigan, Borthwick, Rankin, Crane etc etc

Still, at least this time we're trying to shoehorn some talented batsmen into the team rather than pick players who should never be there in the first place.....although you could argue that applies to Crawley.