• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official * Pakistan vs New Zealand 2023

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Gotta wonder what the logic behind swapping Bowes for Blundell was. Was it pre-determined? Bowes gets 2 ODIs and then swapped no matter what. As others have noted he was hitting his straps and probably deserved the rest of the series.

Think Chapman should bat 4 tbh.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ben lister hasn't had a game yet so assume he'll be coming in for at least one of the last two matches, if not both.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, I can't believe we've come so far from guys like Ahmad Shahzad, Sharjeel Khan, Imran Farhat and Nasir Jamshed. Pakistan has a legitimately good top order now. For the first time in my life.

ashley bach

International Captain
Also, I can't believe we've come so far from guys like Ahmad Shahzad, Sharjeel Khan, Imran Farhat and Nasir Jamshed. Pakistan has a legitimately good top order now. For the first time in my life.
Not true at all mate, Mohammad Yousuf, Inzamam, Younis Khan and Saeed Anwar were all going great guns when you were still in your nappies.

trundler

Not true at all mate, Mohammad Yousuf, Inzamam, Younis Khan and Saeed Anwar were all going great guns when you were still in your nappies.
I did say top order tbf. We had a good middle order back then and there's a gap between Anwar and the 00s middle order.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
All this while Fawad had to sit on the sidelines. Though he generally played in the middle order when selected IIRC.

Moss

What we learnt this tour to date...

McConchie...can play but lets see what happens the next 2 matches, bloody late bringing someone into the fray.
Chapman...the Suryakumar of 20/20 yet crap in ODI's to date though don't write him off because he's been coming in at awful times to bat.
Bowes...got the potential but has he got the consistency required? No idea where his careers headed.
Young...has enough ability but needs to find his position so he can settle and start knuckling down.
Dazza...if he wants it the number 3 spot is probably there for the taking.
Neesh...apart from a nice cameo the other day really think he's cooked. Ok honestly I've had a ****ing guts full of the guy.
Rachin...that's enough ****ing around with him, career not done of course but ffs put him in the closet for now.
Nicholls...not his fault and he'll probably play test cricket again, but please never ever ever ever ever another white ball match.
Shippy...still a bit unsure tstl but hoping he sticks around and can kick on.
Henry...gotta love this guy if you're a kiwi fan, gives his guts and continues producing solid results.
From a WC perspective, it looks like Mitchell can do the job at no.3 and that's a pretty big positive from this series. In terms of the other spots, doesn't feel like NZ have done the math well enough to put all the pieces together though we can say there are some reasonable backup options in case of injuries.

Assuming KW is out and everyone else is fit, the certainties for the WC squad are: Conway, Allen, Mitchell, Latham (wk), Phillips, Macewell, Santner, Sodhi (rounding out the spinners), Henry, Ferguson (who has been mostly terrible since recovering from injury, but previous body of work makes him a default) and Southee (not a great choice for a SC World Cup, but will be there).

That leaves 4 spots. One will likely go to Boult, despite the contract issues is too crucial to NZ's chances especially given they've regularly conceded or failed to defend 300+ scores in both India and Pakistan. Since Lister hasn't been trialled all that much this seems all the more likely.

For the other 3, this is what it looks like to me ATM:
Young vs Nicholls for one extra batting spot: Even if Young hasn't exactly set the world on fire, has still looked the better option. But they've stuck by Nicholls through thick and thin so who knows.
Neesham vs Chapman for one remaining allrounder spot: Legit tough one to call, Chapman has a higher ceiling with the bat, they really need to explore his bowling a bit. Neesham probably the favourite on experience alone and his tendency to deliver in close matches.
Blundell as backup keeper - I wish Cleaver had been given some ODI chances to show what he's capable of, but Blundell showed he can do the job well enough yesterday. Would want him in the squad, but would be typical if NZ decided Allen or Conway can do the job as backup keeper.

Among the others McConchie, Bowes and Milne are probably first choice reserves in case anyone gets injured, to their credit they've put up some performances on the board. Shipley and Ravindra are miscast in this World Cup buildup IMO though Ravindra is an outside bet for an India World Cup I suppose.

Mike5181

International Captain
I think they are angling for something like this atm:

1. Devon Conway
2. Will Young/Finn Allen
3. Daryl Mitchell
4. Tom Latham
5. Glenn Phillips
6. James Neesham/McConchie
7. Michael Bracewell
8. Mitchell Santner
9. Lockie Ferguson/Tim Southee/Adam Milne
10. Matt Henry
11. Trent Boult

Moss

I think they are angling for something like this atm:

1. Devon Conway
2. Will Young/Finn Allen
3. Daryl Mitchell
4. Tom Latham
5. Glenn Phillips
6. James Neesham/McConchie
7. Michael Bracewell
8. Mitchell Santner
9. Lockie Ferguson/Tim Southee/Adam Milne
10. Matt Henry
11. Trent Boult
Sodhi for either Milne or McConchie and yeah that’s probably what they’re building towards.

trundler

Will Young is a fraud with a substandard technique for an opener but he may actually be more valuable than a meme slogger like Allen. Young gets you an 80 every 10 games to placate his fans like Asad Shafiq but that's probably better than the pointless 30s Allen maxes out at. If one of our (much better) openers gets injured, the next bloke in line is Shan Masood which is pretty yikes too. Need to blood Saim Ayub at some stage though it's too early for him right now.

Moss

Will Young is a fraud with a substandard technique for an opener but he may actually be more valuable than a meme slogger like Allen. Young gets you an 80 every 10 games to placate his fans like Asad Shafiq but that's probably better than the pointless 30s Allen maxes out at. If one of our (much better) openers gets injured, the next bloke in line is Shan Masood which is pretty yikes too. Need to blood Saim Ayub at some stage though it's too early for him right now.
I don’t think you’ll find anyone on this forum who feels Young should be opening on a regular basis, but yeah if it makes Pakistan look like they have an embarrassment of top order riches, sure.

Allen is no great shakes at the moment either, but it is what it is given that NZ didn’t identify Guptill’s decline as a concern early enough. Conway and Mitchell are pretty important at this point.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Allen bashing a very quick 35+ every 4 games for an overall average of 22 is kinda passable in our T20 side that otherwise doesn't get out of first gear, but agree he has more to prove in ODIs. Have to back him to develop further though.

Re the earlier discussion and to be positive for a bit, NZ will be happy enough to learn 2 or 3 things relevant to the ODI WC from this series - sometimes you go though a JAMODI series and feel like nothing has been learned whatsoever. So Chapman a winner (despite no scores in the ODIs so far), a reminder of Mitchell's importance, Henry lifting his level, maaaaybe a couple other small conclusions (though it's a hard series on the new bowlers). That's not bad tbh, I just wish we'd tried more 6/7/8 options for closing innings.

trundler

Allen bashing a very quick 35+ every 4 games for an overall average of 22 is kinda passable in our T20 side that otherwise doesn't get out of first gear, but agree he has more to prove in ODIs. Have to back him to develop further though.

Re the earlier discussion and to be positive for a bit, NZ will be happy enough to learn 2 or 3 things relevant to the ODI WC from this series - sometimes you go though a JAMODI series and feel like nothing has been learned whatsoever. So Chapman a winner (despite no scores in the ODIs so far), a reminder of Mitchell's importance, Henry lifting his level, maaaaybe a couple other small conclusions (though it's a hard series on the new bowlers). That's not bad tbh, I just wish we'd tried more 6/7/8 options for closing innings.
Henry's death bowling being gun + Mitchell stamping his authority + finding out McConchie/Bowes won't embarrass themselves in a pinch is pretty good returns.

I see we've gone with a pretty funky side today. I encourage it. Haris can be a useful lower order biffer and It's worth finding out whether the Iftikhar + Agha combo is too light on bowling or not.

G. S. Kohli

Gotta wonder what the logic behind swapping Bowes for Blundell was. Was it pre-determined? Bowes gets 2 ODIs and then swapped no matter what. As others have noted he was hitting his straps and probably deserved the rest of the series.

Think Chapman should bat 4 tbh.
Actually nz wants to give Oppertunity to every available option before wC, Blundell's plus point is he is also keeper i guess. He seems to me more commited player whenever he gets oppertunity. You need to pick 17 player so Blundell/ Young & Conway okayed but not Bowes, who is not dependable.