• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official * Pakistan vs New Zealand 2023

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good on him for a good debut but he averages 26 with the bat and 47 with the ball domestically in this format. Hard to say he's been unlucky not to get a gig before now.
NZ ODI spin bowling allrounders is hardly a weakness either

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
NZ both opener run out (3 run out)not good, Anyway nz found Cole McConchie on debut good spell & 64 not out while bats ≠ 7, Could be good investment for up-coming world cup in india.

When Cole M was dropped by Shadab he was on 22, i wish nz win tomorrow babar hinted of bench player in their xl next 2 games.

4th ODI tomorrow also at Karachi

Imam MOTM pak win & lead series 3/0

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yep, so Blundell is there, so they drop Bowes who's scoring runs and continue to play Nicholls. Got it.
One thing I don't get with NZ's selections in both T20I and ODIs is that we have a bottleneck in positions 1-5 where lots of batsmen are competing and the positions are sewn up, and often a shortfall in our finishers at 6/7/8 ... and yet we mostly seem to audition for even more top order players.
(I do not count putting Rachin at 7 as a genuine audition as he's so obviously unsuited to the role. Nicholls obviously isn't a 6 or 7 either and although kudos in order for his debut today, I would not have thought that was Muckonkey's strength either.)

From this squad I would've tried Blundell down the order instead of opening as I think he might have the shots for it. Other batters that bat at 5-7 domestically and so have experience as high-SR finishers include Fletcher, Clarkson and maybe even Dacewell.

In the top 5 we already have Allen, Conway, Williamson (though injured), Phillips, Mitchell, Latham, Young, Chapman (though he might need to slip to 6 whether that's ideal for him or not). There's no more room. Whereas our finishers have been a problem for a decade - Neesham will swing but is one dimensional, Macewell has worked occasionally but has a lot more to prove, Santner has improved but isn't an answer by himself. The finishing is the gap in NZ's batting in both ODIs and T20Is and we don't seem to be addressing it.

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
One thing I don't get with NZ's selections in both T20I and ODIs is that we have a bottleneck in positions 1-5 where lots of batsmen are competing and the positions are sewn up, and often a shortfall in our finishers at 6/7/8 ... and yet we mostly seem to audition for even more top order players.
(I do not count putting Rachin at 7 as a genuine audition as he's so obviously unsuited to the role. Nicholls obviously isn't a 6 or 7 either and although kudos in order for his debut today, I would not have thought that was Muckonkey's ideal role either.)

From this squad I would've tried Blundell down the order instead of opening as I think he might have the shots for it. Other batters that bat at 5-7 domestically and so have experience as high-SR finishers include Fletcher, Clarkson and maybe even Dacewell.

In the top 5 we already have Allen, Conway, Williamson (though injured), Phillips, Mitchell, Latham, Young, Chapman (though he might need to slip to 6 whether that's ideal for him or not). There's no more room. Whereas our finishers have been a problem for a decade - Neesham will swing but is one dimensional, Macewell has worked occasionally but has a lot more to prove, Santner has improved but isn't an answer by himself. The finishing is the gap in NZ's batting in both ODIs and T20Is and we don't seem to be addressing it.
Not much Gary s can do during Overseas int'L matches. Many hidden issue's during overseas tour.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Terrible running from Young on that runout, if he'd just sprinted instead of slowing to turn and look at the ball he would've made it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Mookoonky did better at finding the boundary than I expected - not a huge hitter but was enough to clear the rope twice and moved around the crease well.

Flem274*

123/5
McConchie has batted all over for Canterbury - was a Mr Plug It before he cemented his spot in the middle order.

His adaptability is good but if he were to push for a red or white ball spot it would be around #5 or #6 imo.

thundaboult

International Debutant
macewell prob the best bet on the "clearing the ropes and finishing" role atm....based on the big ireland century and the explosive hundy against india on their own turf...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, so McConchie was basically our best batsman and best bowler in the only game he's got to date. I've liked the look of him from the last Bangers tour coupled with the fact he was our best FC batsman domestically, but have been told by others here he's mud at International level.

If somehow our 3 spinners in India for the WC were Macewell, Santner & McConchie that would be a ridiculously deep batting lineup with McConchie @ 7, Macewell 8, Santner 9, Henry/Ferguson 10 & Boult 11.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Henry has always been pretty damn solid but now his death bowling has improved miles too. Would take him over Ferguson on current form rather easily.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
(I do not count putting Rachin at 7 as a genuine audition as he's so obviously unsuited to the role. Nicholls obviously isn't a 6 or 7 either and although kudos in order for his debut today, I would not have thought that was Muckonkey's strength either.)

Hard to argue with all that. What have we learned on this tour? To me, we've learned that Chapman can bat (but isn't a first choice ODI player), Matt Henry has come on in leaps and bounds and is a genuine international bowler in all forms, Daryl Mitchell is what we thought he was, and what else? We don't know what the **** Henry Nicholls is, whether Blundell should be in our ODI/T20 XI, what the hell Rachin is, why Jimmy Neesham is still a thing, whether Chad Bowes would've kept scoring runs, and a whole bunch of guys like Adam Milne, Shipley haven't pushed their case, Will Young pushed around the order and played in wrong formats etc.

Frustrating. Just a bit of a nonsense.

ashley bach

International Captain
What we learnt this tour to date...

McConchie...can play but lets see what happens the next 2 matches, bloody late bringing someone into the fray.
Chapman...the Suryakumar of 20/20 yet crap in ODI's to date though don't write him off because he's been coming in at awful times to bat.
Bowes...got the potential but has he got the consistency required? No idea where his careers headed.
Young...has enough ability but needs to find his position so he can settle and start knuckling down.
Dazza...if he wants it the number 3 spot is probably there for the taking.
Neesh...apart from a nice cameo the other day really think he's cooked. Ok honestly I've had a ****ing guts full of the guy.
Rachin...that's enough ****ing around with him, career not done of course but ffs put him in the closet for now.
Nicholls...not his fault and he'll probably play test cricket again, but please never ever ever ever ever another white ball match.
Shippy...still a bit unsure tstl but hoping he sticks around and can kick on.
Henry...gotta love this guy if you're a kiwi fan, gives his guts and continues producing solid results.