• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
SA is tricky as well, because you’re operating with a sample size of 3 games, 2 of which were played when he was still only 22 (in the third he made a fighting 70 before the batting crumbled around him and he was the last man out). The England and India records though stand as blots on his record that I doubt will ever be repaired.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I mean I saw a guy score a run a ball 180 and another hit 150 no. The new ball provided 3 wickets but there wasn't much else on offer. I'm really not sure what NZ were up to in their first innings, that's where the questions should be from this Test. We've now seen a spinner toil away for 60 overs to grab a fivefer of which the last 3 came in his last 2 overs.

Being brutally honest, I'm not sure this pitch offered much more than Rawlpindi.
NZ had new ball bowlers who struggle if things flatten out, Daryl Mitchell on as third seamer when England were 21/3, a clearly well past it Wagner, and a part-time provincial spinner who is learning the craft in his 30s.

I know we don't have Boult or Jamieson, but most (probably all NZ posters) could select a better bowling attack than our selectors did. It is a dreadful attack, so couldn't build on a great start.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA is tricky as well, because you’re operating with a sample size of 3 games, 2 of which were played when he was still only 22. The England and India records though stand as blots on his record that I doubt will ever be repaired.
Yeah I get the context in SA & SL to a lesser extent, but as you say he's had more than enough opportunities to improve his away record in England and India but sadly hasn't quite been up to it so critics can fairly label him a bit of a HTB when comparing with other greats.

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Southee getting slated elsewhere for throwing his wicket away. No he didn’t redeem himself in many peoples eyes with his flukey slogathon in the first innings. The lack of application to help a team mate through to a hundred…it’s the second time in two matches he’s done it. Why did they make the bloke captain(?)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We really need to have Stokes with a working knee again.
My impression is that he either doesn't bowl at all or bowls himself into the group with an excessively long spell. Perhaps the two are linked. And you're right of course.

Last edited:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
It's not over and it's not like England will blast through this. If we get Root early we will have a chance. Root is the key wicket.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's not over and it's not like England will blast through this. If we get Root early we will have a chance. Root is the key wicket.
Quite possibly. The reporter on the Beeb said the ball was doing plenty now, so it shouldn't be easy chasing down another 210 tomorrow. Interesting that Robinson was sent in to bat 'normally' instead of Broad.

Molehill

International Captain
NZ had new ball bowlers who struggle if things flatten out, Daryl Mitchell on as third seamer when England were 21/3, a clearly well past it Wagner, and a part-time provincial spinner who is learning the craft in his 30s.

I know we don't have Boult or Jamieson, but most (probably all NZ posters) could select a better bowling attack than our selectors did. It is a dreadful attack, so couldn't build on a great start.
Not having a go at NZ bowlers. It wasn't like Anderson, Robinson and Broad got much help either. The pitch had very little help in it, which is why I think the NZ First Innings is where serious questions need to be raised.

nzfan

To only highlight Macewell is wrong, I knew Stuff would be licking their fingers at the dismissal. The headline "Bracewell's calamitous error hinders Black Cap's fightback" isn't fair. There were others too that threw away their wickets. One guy can't lose a game.

That said it seems to have affected Bracewell plenty. His bowling today just wasn't good. Hope he recovers quickly and bowls a good spell tomorrow. This is the challenge in international cricket, every day feels different. Many thought Kane didn't have it in him two days ago and today he's on top of the world. He's level headed and wouldn't quite get to him but Bracewell is different. He hasn't had a lot of success at domestic level and isn't used to the limelight good or bad so will need to figure how to handle it and turn it around quickly. He's quite a nice bloke, fairly level headed but it's not easy to handle oscillating fortunes on a daily basis.

Molehill

International Captain
Quite possibly. The reporter on the Beeb said the ball was doing plenty now, so it shouldn't be easy chasing down another 210 tomorrow. Interesting that Robinson was sent in to bat 'normally' instead of Broad.
Really not sure what game he was watching. The last 6 NZ wickets fell to a leg side tickle off a part timer, 3 slogs, a daft run out and one tail end edge to slip. It's really offering very little and now the new ball is gone and the fact NZ don't have a match winning spinner, this ought to be a straightforward chase.

nzfan

Brook is the key wicket, not Root.
Brook will give plenty of chances but Root... he's a seasoned professional and one of the very best. If he's there in the middle he'll get England to the target without breaking a sweat. The guy is a beast.

I'd say Stokes as well, he's built for these sort of occasions. It seems if there is no challenge he can't be bothered. If the situation is tense he will rise above.

It's a bit like choosing between Darryl Mitchell and Kane with Black Caps. Kane even in bad form is always the key wicket for the opponents.

Brook's side

International 12th Man
Guys, there is no 'key wicket'.

England are going to romp this.

You put up a good fight in the 2nd innings and congrats for that, but a result? Forget about it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Root is always the key wicket for whoever is playing England.

However if the chips are down then I’d back Stokes to take us home.
Yeah it would be very Stokes to come up with a proper innings when required.

Duckett and Pope can do half the work though, avoid early wickets and it should be fine.

nzfan

Guys, there is no 'key wicket'.

England are going to romp this.

You put up a good fight in the 2nd innings and congrats for that, but a result? Forget about it.
Since when did English supporters started to become like the Aussies?