• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Averages 63 at home and 42 away. When you see dead pitches like this, you're not left wondering why. Imagine what Harry Brook would average on this, and at least he'd do it at an entertaining strike rate too.
@subshakerz interested to know what you think of Kane's standing in the fab four. How do you rate him? In Smith's class or lower?
Why do this

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So that's 14 tests, assuming they're all two match series? At his current rate of runs per test he'd need another 26 or so to reach 10,000 runs ... would love to see him get there, but it might be a bit too far. I do think he could keep going for a little while yet, though. Still only 32.
16 as the India and England series are both 3 tests. After that NZ basically don’t play tests for 18 months. I think we have just 2 at home v WI in 2025/26. On the bright side, the poms admiration of us as the vanquished but noble foes of 2019 has seen us granted another 3 test tour of England in 2026. Maybe Kane could forge on until them but at 36 he’d be pushing it.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Averages 63 at home and 42 away. When you see dead pitches like this, you're not left wondering why. Imagine what Harry Brook would average on this, and at least he'd do it at an entertaining strike rate too.
You did see the first 2 days yea?

Casuals will need to make their minds up on whether the batsmen are FTBs or the bowlers GTBs.*

The Basin does reward perseverance with the bat though. If you stay in the game, batting gets easier and easier from day 3.

*The answer, like every country, is situational. Hagley is a great place to bowl pace, Mt Maunganui throws a bone to the slower bowlers etc

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Great player despite the embarrassing overseas record. Hopefully he has a few strong tours against good teams to cement his status as a non htb great.
Still in awe of Martin Crowe who named the Fab Four and predicted that they are all going to do awesome things. And they occupy 4 out of the top 5 places in that link with the other one being Warner, who is also an under-rated great imo.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't know how SL are so all over the show when they have a fair few players sneaky high up that list.

I mean, I do (they love a collective flop or a one man army innings), but still.

Molehill

International Captain
New Zealand fans should be proud of their team for making a game of it. Easy Win ahead for England but fair play
Wondering what might have happened had the follow on not been enforced. England score 350 and NZ attempt to grind out 5 sessions for a draw. I think they might have had a chance too on this pitch. The one thing the follow on did was encouraging NZ to go for runs late on and thus throw away some wickets.

Brook's side

International Debutant
After seeing the Bracewell run out, I retract my comments about the world sporting event recently held in South Africa.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Blundell doesn't get off for free. He wasn't batting with Chris Martin, he was batting with Wagner who has successfully batted long periods of time against England before. He'd taken a single of the first ball of the preceding over to leave Wagner with 5 balls and then attempts to slog without method and also gave his wicket away.
It was such a wild shot I almost wondered if Southee said to just have a go as they wanted a bowl tonight regardless.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Wondering what might have happened had the follow on not been enforced. England score 350 and NZ attempt to grind out 5 sessions for a draw. I think they might have had a chance too on this pitch. The one thing the follow on did was encouraging NZ to go for runs late on and thus throw away some wickets.
Or maybe we'd have been bowled out for 220 and the game would already be over.

I said at the start of day 3 that I wouldn't enforce the follow on and I still think it wasn't a good decision but it's ultimately just one call, and it pales into insignificance compared to us not being good enough to use the new ball on a pitch that demanded it or how well the NZ top three have played.

NZ in this series went 27/4, 82/4, 60/4 and then 297/4. That kind of turnaround takes more than a difference in conditions.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can imagine a scenario in which England go extreme bazball and get bowled our for 250 or something leaving NZ with a target they might actually have got.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There’s a real risk that they might’ve set a gettable target if they’d batted for 50 overs and set 500. But then I suppose their bowlers would’ve been a lot more fresh in the second innings so NZ’s top order might never have laid the excellent foundation they did on day 3.

Molehill

International Captain
You did see the first 2 days yea?
I mean I saw a guy score a run a ball 180 and another hit 150 no. The new ball provided 3 wickets but there wasn't much else on offer. I'm really not sure what NZ were up to in their first innings, that's where the questions should be from this Test. We've now seen a spinner toil away for 60 overs to grab a fivefer of which the last 3 came in his last 2 overs.

Being brutally honest, I'm not sure this pitch offered much more than Rawlpindi.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I mean I saw a guy score a run a ball 180 and another hit 150 no. The new ball provided 3 wickets but there wasn't much else on offer. I'm really not sure what NZ were up to in their first innings, that's where the questions should be from this Test. We've now seen a spinner toil away for 60 overs to grab a fivefer of which the last 3 came in his last 2 overs.

Being brutally honest, I'm not sure this pitch offered much more than Rawlpindi.
England racked up runs for fun on day 1 because NZ only picked 2 bowlers. The plan was to hope that Daryl Mitchell would suddenly metamorphosis into Colin de Grandhomme and that Neil Wagner would Benjamin Button himself into his 2019 incarnation, neither of which eventuated sadly. If NZ pick a decent 3rd seamer, England probably still score runs but I doubt they run away like they did. The drop off in pressure once Mitchell came on to bowl was shocking.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Take your overall point, although 42 as his away record is slightly misleading considering if you include his 7 neutral tests (6 vs Pak in UAE & 1 v Ind in Eng) that average becomes 46 which is a good away one.

The biggest holes in KW's record is away in South Africa where he averages just 21, Sri Lanka 26, England 30 & India 34.