• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Shri

Mr. Glass
No way, it’s going to be a disaster. This is probably the greatest spin duo of all time, at home. It will be a huge drop off. The chances of finding another tow witb similar enough consistency and skill NOT TO MENTION batting is basically low to none. I’m not saying there’s going to be no one who can’t win matches at home, but there will certainly be a drop off. Hopefully that’s 2-3 years away.
tilak varma and washington sundar

you heard it here first

Shri

Mr. Glass
The WTC just shouldn't be a thing IMO. I think it will only serve to remove context from Tests rather than add to them - we'll get JAMTests. As is stood every series was respected in its own right.

If it's going to exist I like the novelty of having it a neutral venue, even though "home of #1 team" would probably be fairer.
make it a summer event once every 2/3/4 years by allotting a few months to a two leg test match knockout tournament where random seeds play each other once at home and once away or twice wherever on rotation. top 8 teams. round 1 - 4 matches x 2. round 2 - 2 matches x2. then 3rd place playoff test. then final.

round 1 - 8 tests. 40 match days not including breaks. round 2 - 20 match days. final - 5 days. no one cares about the 3rd place playoff in any sport.

65 days of test cricket. can probably be done in 3 months if done on a tight schedule.

frees up players to make money in t20 franchises for the rest of the year if it is all done before the franchise t20 games get played.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Washington Sundar is a huge downgrade over Ashwin as a spinner.
sundar will only get better when he consistently plays more. also has attributes to be a better overseas spinner eventually compared to ash.

plus there is bishnoi who is promising. also if india keeps producing turning tracks, it will be easaier for batting all rounders to improve their bowling stats than for bowlers to improve their batting.

plus we could just discover the next great spinner in the coming years before these two retire who knows.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Washington Sundar is a huge downgrade over Ashwin as a spinner.

By best bet is Kuldeep and Axar and Kuldeep should improve his batting too .
Kuldeep Axar Washington as a trio should come close.

Ideally it should be

Kuldeep - bowling average 24 batting average 18-20
Axar - bowling average 24 batting average 30-35
Sundar - bowling average 28-30 batting average 35-40

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Sundar is quite young tbh. He is currently 2 years younger than when Ashwin made his debut.

Can't see why he cant be a 27-28 averaging spinner and a 35-40 averaging batter. Basically a slightly better Shakib.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sundar is quite young tbh. He is currently 2 years younger than when Ashwin made his debut.

Can't see why he cant be a 27-28 averaging spinner and a 35-40 averaging batter. Basically a slightly better Shakib.
27-28 averaging spinner is a massive downgrade over what Ashwin is producing over the last decade. Obviously the cricketer you describe is a cricketer most teams would kill to have, but the difference between a bloke taking wickets at 20 and one taking wickets at 27 is unquestionably enough to flip the result of Test matches.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
People get better as they play more., assuming they have promise to begin with. In a three-pronged spin attack, it is ok if one guy i.e. Sundar plays the containing role. I'm pretty sure Kuldeep will become a regular matchwinner *if* given a good stretch of game time. He and Axar should take care of most visiting sides; it's not like the quality of batting against spin worldwide will suddenly improve just because Ashwin-Jadeja are no longer in the picture.

Sunil1z

International Regular
27-28 averaging spinner is a massive downgrade over what Ashwin is producing over the last decade. Obviously the cricketer you describe is a cricketer most teams would kill to have, but the difference between a bloke taking wickets at 20 and one taking wickets at 27 is unquestionably enough to flip the result of Test matches.
But he will play as 3rd spinner ( batting all rounder) . The main spinners are Axar and Kuldeep

Spark

Global Moderator
But he will play as 3rd spinner ( batting all rounder) . The main spinners are Axar and Kuldeep
I have high hopes for Kuldeep but Axar is a substantial downgrade too. I don't really care about his career average, he's very clearly a tier below Jadeja and Ashwin in terms of craft and skill.

Kuldeep is a different sort of bowler in terms of the tempo of the game though. Ashwin and Jadeja are control bowlers first and foremost; Kuldeep will never be (frankly no left-arm wrist spinner will be). It'll be interesting to see how Rohit (or his successor) handles him.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
I have high hopes for Kuldeep but Axar is a substantial downgrade too. I don't really care about his career average, he's very clearly a tier below Jadeja and Ashwin in terms of craft and skill.
He could get better if he limits his exposure in LO games that clearly effs your line/length & general tendency to bowl defensively overall.

For the general lack of ability against quality spin I really believe we should go back to the one new ball in ODI, the 2 new balls have killed spin in all but the most spin friendly conditions especially finger spin! ODI's now are just T20 played over 50 overs.

Spark

Global Moderator
He could get better if he limits his exposure in LO games that clearly effs you line/length & general tendency to bowl defensive line/lengths overall.

For the general lack of quality against spin I really believe we should go back to the one new ball in ODI, the 2 new balls have killed spin in all but the most spin friendly conditions especially finger spin! ODI are now are just T20 played over 50 overs.
I just don't think he has the variety, control, or deep understanding of the game that Jadeja has. The harsh stereotype against Jadeja in past years of a guy who just darts the ball in at the stumps at 95km/h and relies in the pitch to play random tricks without much guile applies far more to him.

That's not to say he's bad or anything but if you gave all Jadeja's overs to Axar in this series then he results could have been quite different. I haven't been impressed with him in very favourable conditions. I was looking forward to seeing him too, see if he could really live up to that hilarious career average he built by statpadding an absolutely dismal England side. Australia hasn't been much better and yet they've still looked infinitely more comfortable against him.

I agree re: the 2 new balls thing btw. Made ODIs so much lesser as a format, just such an unnecessary change.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Yeah I meant he would get better in tests, but I rate Jadeja as high as Ashwin if not higher. His bowling cannot & will not be replaced. The corollary to that is the test batting standards are also going down further, the likes of SS/Root/KW & of course Kohli are last of their gen. Most if not all of them started their FC careers when IPL was not the biggest cricket tournament. The gen after them will struggle to last 3-4 days on even mildly helpful surfaces. This is why I'm partly intrigued as to how Bassball would work in India/Oz or other harsher conditions. Because the batters are assuming they'd probably not last a day or two batting on them. So how would that transform the 5 day game?