• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa vs England (3 ODI):Jan 27-Feb 04, 2023 in SAfrica

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Great to have Archer back.

I ok with the bowling. Just got to hope that Wood and Archer are well looked after this year and come into the wc firing. Spin is a little concerning

Batting I'm a bit more nervous about. Only Bairstow, Root and Buttler nailed on for top 7 spots which means a lot of uncertainty. Ideally you'd like your players to have at least 40 or 50 odis going into the WC but we won't have that if Brook, Salt orLivingstone are selected.

I came up with the following list a couple of days ago as to the likely players for the WC. Likeliest first xi and then 10 others who are realistic chances.

Bairstow
Roy
Malan
Root
Buttler
Moeen
S Curran
Woakes
Wood
Rashid
Archer
Brook
Salt
Livingstone
Topley
Mahmood
Stone
Stokes
Duckett
Willey
Dawson

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I ok with the bowling. Just got to hope that Wood and Archer are well looked after this year and come into the wc firing. Spin is a little concerning

Batting I'm a bit more nervous about. Only Bairstow, Root and Buttler nailed on for top 7 spots which means a lot of uncertainty. Ideally you'd like your players to have at least 40 or 50 odis going into the WC but we won't have that if Brook, Salt orLivingstone are selected.

I came up with the following list a couple of days ago as to the likely players for the WC.........
Surely Stokes plays if he's available. Probably instead of Woakes (sorry RIS) in your starting XI, where Moeen and Curran are both batting one place too high.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

I came up with the following list a couple of days ago as to the likely players for the WC. Likeliest first xi and then 10 others who are realistic chances.

Bairstow
Roy
Malan
Root
Buttler
Moeen
S Curran
Woakes
Wood
Rashid
Archer
Brook
Salt
Livingstone
Topley
Mahmood
Stone
Stokes
Duckett
Willey
Dawson
Pushing your gun #3 down to 4 to accommodate players is horrible practice in ODI's particularly at a WC, Root bats 3 everytime.

theegyptian

Really not sure about Roy these days. DUnno how that will play out. Maybe move Malan to open (instead of Roy), and bring Brook in at 4. Ali probably competing with Livingstone for a spot.

Malan benefits from being a left hander in an otherwise likely rhand top 5 and the need for a bit more solidity at the top. Seems a step back given he wasn't even in the reckoning for last WC but so be it.

Reserve fast bowlers very much up in the air. Mahmood was excellent and much improved last time he played for England but has missed a load of cricket. Stone I had no-where before his display the other day - but could be an alternative to WOod/Archer in middle overs should they be injured.

Duckett has done himself no favours in this series. I don't think batting him at 3 is really what you want. I'd see him as a 4 or 5 mainly used against spin. That's probably his chance gone now.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bairstow
Malan
Root
Stokes
Buttler (c) (wk)
Moeen
Livingstone
S Curran
Archer
Rashid
Wood
Nah, If Livi, Rashid and Root are playing you don't need another spinner, especially when you are leving out the likes of Roy, Salt and Brook who are all much better batting options than Moeen at this present moment in time, despite 2 nice cameoes in the last two matches.

Your side with probably Brook batting 6. Still have 7 bowling options.

I must admit I'm not completely sold on Sam Curran in 50 overs, wouldn't hate seeing stone, Willey or Jordan in there. Maybe even topley but he'd have to be bowling a tad better than this tour.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
If I was picking a side tomorrow, I'd go with Malan, Bairstow, Root, Brook, Buttler, Stokes, Livingstone/Mo, Woakes, Rashid, Archer, Wood.

Not totally sure Stokes will come out of retirement tbh. He seemed pretty scathing about the international schedule and I'm not sure how viable three-format cricket really is for him.

I'd rather have two all-rounders in the top seven than Curran/Woakes batting at seven, which is a place too high for either.

Socerer 01

England haven’t come anywhere close to finding an all rounder as good and versatile as Stokes till now and I doubt he skips out on it if England ask him to play just few matches in the run up to the world cup for the sake of practice or even bring him in cold without anyone calling it a bad decision

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stokes will be there IMHO. In the end, the fact that Root is going to play franchise, pretty much sums up that they are going to allow players to make some cash from franchises, and then come back to England when the big tournaments come along. They've got to look to the future too, any young players don't need to be forced into making a decision, cash or International cricket. In the end they need to have the option of a bit of both.

G. S. Kohli

SA chasing 347 for 3/0
278/6 looks good as Parnell/ Klassen add fine 85 for 7th wicket

SA 287 all out (43.1 ovs)
Bavuma 35, Hendriks 52, Markram 39, Parnell 34,
Henrich Klassen 80.

(Chris Woakes
8 /1/ 51/1)
(Reece Topley
7 /0 /48/ 0)
(Jofra Archer
9.1/ 1 /40/ 6)
(Adil Rashid
10/ 0/ 68/ 3)
(Sam Curran
7 /0/ 50 /0)
(Moeen
? )

England beat South Africa by 59 runs with 41 ball spares

SA won series 2/1 but no celebration in SA Camp because even if they beat Netherland 2/0 they will be end Super league ODI with 99 points (24 matches)( minimum require 109)

They have to play Qualifiers with other Low Ranking teams in Zimbabwe during June/July 2023.
Top 2 teams will go to India for WC 2023.

Jos Butler MOTM as well as POTS

Congratulation!

Dendarii

International Debutant
SA won series 2/1 but no celebration in SA Camp because even if they beat Netherland 2/0 they will be end Super league ODI with 99 points (24 matches)( minimum require 109)

They have to play Qualifiers with other Low Ranking teams in Zimbabwe during June/July 2023.
Why do you keep posting this even though it's wrong?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How is it wrong? They'll finish 8th and so will qualify?
As previously explained, multiple times. If SA win one game against Netherlands then SL must win the series in NZ (win 2 of 3 games). If SA win both games against Netherlands then SL must whitewash NZ in NZ. The constant implication that SA had to win all 5 matches to get through ignores what was required from other teams to overtake them. 5 wins guaranteed qualification. 4 makes it highly likely. 3 wins made it dicey but still possible.

The poster had this explanation given to him multiple times and is still saying SA won’t have enough to qualify. The likely outcome is SA will qualify at this stage.

He is either misunderstanding the sums or the English or, as normal, is just copying and pasting bad opinions from other sites. And no he is not saying SA qualify, he is saying SA will have to play qualifying tournament even if they beat Netherlands 2-0... which is nonsense. That only happens if SL whitewash NZ in NZ.

Dendarii

International Debutant
The constant implication that SA had to win all 5 matches to get through ignores what was required from other teams to overtake them.
Not only that, but also the claim that the minimum number of points required to qualify is 109, which anyone who actually bothered to look at the table would see is completely wrong. The West Indies are in 8th place with 88 points, so the minimum required is 89, although 88 would probably overtake them as well because of net run rates.

Molehill

International Captain
Stokes will be there IMHO. In the end, the fact that Root is going to play franchise, pretty much sums up that they are going to allow players to make some cash from franchises, and then come back to England when the big tournaments come along. They've got to look to the future too, any young players don't need to be forced into making a decision, cash or International cricket. In the end they need to have the option of a bit of both.
Agreed, I can't see Stokes turning down a World Cup if he's asked. England now seem to have more middle overs options (Archer, Wood, Stone, Curran & Stokes) than they do new ball. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with 5 seamers plus Rashid/Root like the 2019 World Cup.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
As previously explained, multiple times. If SA win one game against Netherlands then SL must win the series in NZ (win 2 of 3 games). If SA win both games against Netherlands then SL must whitewash NZ in NZ. The constant implication that SA had to win all 5 matches to get through ignores what was required from other teams to overtake them. 5 wins guaranteed qualification. 4 makes it highly likely. 3 wins made it dicey but still possible.

The poster had this explanation given to him multiple times and is still saying SA won’t have enough to qualify. The likely outcome is SA will qualify at this stage.

He is either misunderstanding the sums or the English or, as normal, is just copying and pasting bad opinions from other sites. And no he is not saying SA qualify, he is saying SA will have to play qualifying tournament even if they beat Netherlands 2-0... which is nonsense. That only happens if SL whitewash NZ in NZ.
Ahh OK. In that case, SA most probably qualifies. I don't think Srilanka can beat Michael Bracewell's New Zealand.